It is currently 17 May 2024, 21:21

what's in a name?

Announce your sales on ebay. Post interesting or funny ebay observations as well.
  • Author

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

what's in a name?

Post29 Jul 2006, 16:53

I'm just a little curious to know, from anyone whose sold on ebay, if there is a huge difference in the visitors an item attracts, depending on it's brand name, and if this affects the selling price?

I know that it really only takes two dedicated bidders to raise the roof on an auction price, but i'm working on the basis that, the more visitors an item gets, the more likely it is of geting some bidding interest. Is that right? In particular, i'm pretty amazed at how many visitors have looked at the, non digital, nice but ordinary, Omega i'm selling (1,500 visitors), compared to other items i've sold (average visitors of a couple of hundred)! Think I'll still collect LED's for myself, but might collect Omega's to trade :)

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: what's in a name?

Post04 Aug 2006, 15:11

The title is important, it should contain as many keywords as possible.

2nd secret: The pictures. A watch with brilliant pictures will get you 3 times the price than one photographed with your daughters Barbie cam.

The rest is always the same: You dont need one fool, you need at least 2 of them.

Omega are indeed good for trading, I once bought a nice constellation for 200 Euro and sold for 780 Euro.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Aug 2006, 21:13

Surely you are more likely to get hits from a brand name as that is the one that most people know eg rolex or omega are both pretty well known to most people and have a reputation/image that is bought into. That means that people will key in those brands that they've heard of but not those of possibly better quality/value but lesser marketing.

As for less hits, are we talking about watches, if so it's most likely omega analogues get more hits as most people don't want a led (the fools!). Then again the most hits I ever got was when I sold a genuine german stick grenade recently, the sheer number of questions and hits shocked me. If its popular you'll get the hits, and that popularity must be in part due to image and reputation which leads public awareness which takes us back to the beginning of this post.

Just my thoughts, but I've had 2 beers...

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Aug 2006, 21:20

when you look at the various watches by different manufacturers on E bay , (non LED) Omega have the largest turnover of watches, i guess about 400 items per 24 hours. I think this may be because they are generally regarded as a quality manufacturer and have watches to suit everyones pocket. I often buy/sell Omega , Longines to supplement the cost of the LED watches that i keep. Very often, the best bargains are from people who take poor quality, fuzzy pictures, i completely agree with Fronz, if you want a good return, quality pics are a must. Biggest bargains to date: (non LED) a Concord Delirium Gents with Bi colour bracelet ?120, probably worth ?500 best LED deal, a mint working S/steel Omega TC2 ?200 -buy it now (came from the original owner), these good/lucky buys only really compensate from some of the utter crap i've bought though :D

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2006, 11:04

Well said gjlelec. That Delerium you bought must look superb, but I think i'd be a littler scared to wear it as it's so thin!

Like you, when it comes to bargains, my best results have been from taking the risk of buying an item with fuzzy pics, and trusting the seller when they say condition is good, or by being quick enough to buy an item with an underpriced buy it now. You're totaly right about the Omega's too. They do cover a huge price range. I was lucky as the one I sold had 'Omega', 'Chronometer' and 'Tuning fork' in the title, so I could have attracted attention from three interest groups.

Incidently, I find I make the best profit on selling LCD's, not LED's. I tend to get them far cheaper than it costs me to buy LED's, and, in my experience, provided they're not too common a design, they do seem to hold their price.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Aug 2006, 18:24

To go off the LED subject a little, the Delirium is a thin watch but my favourite "ultra thin" is made by a small long established Swiss manufacturer called Sarcar, the model is one of a very limited edition called "Glorium", solid 18k and is under 2mm thick!!. You have got to be a bit careful wearing that one. When i bought it the original croco strap was a bit scruffy so i emailed Sarcar for the price of a replacement and they sent one FOC. The contrast between wearing my TC1 omega and the Sarcar is huge but i enjoy both :D

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2006, 23:36

gjlelec wrote:...... so i emailed Sarcar for the price of a replacement and they sent one FOC.....

That's what I call Customer Service.

Return to Ebay and Other