It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:11

Who Are You? Take a turn.

A great place to make your first posting.
  • Author

TheFordGuy

Geek

Geek

: Who Are You? Take a turn.

Post06 Sep 2007, 23:31

1.User name/real name if you want: TheFordGuy a/k/a Mike Watkins
2.Birth year: 1973
3.Occupation: I manage a medium size used car dealership
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Stock car racing, drag racing, basically any motorsport.
5.Favorite band(s): Don't really have a favorite, but my favorite genre is probably '90s alternative, and some country.
6. Favorite movie(s): Rain Man, Grumpy/Grumpier Old Men
7.Favorite type of watch: No real favorite, though the Synchronar 2100 is probably my most sought after. I just bought a (possibly fake) Casio AL-180 on eBay. Price was decent even if it is a wannabe.
8. Years collecting: Had quite the collection when I was a kid, but just now starting to regain an appreciation for the '70s and '80s digital watches.
9.Other things you collect: Vintage Lawn-Boy push mowers. I have 5 fully restored units dating from the late '50s to the mid '80s.
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Usually go out to a local watering hole and socialize with friends. Don't like to stay home much. Ahhh...The beauty of being single.

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: There's no mystery whatsoever. Should be pretty self-explanatory that I'm a "blue oval" fan.

denis

Post02 Nov 2007, 13:21

1. User name/real name if you want: Denis/Denis "something"

2. Birth year: 1956

3. Occupation: free-lance copywriter

4. Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Listening to music on my hifi
system or with headphones(I am a proud member of the head-fi.org
forum).

5. Favorite band(s): I have learnt music by listening pop music in the 70's
(Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Doors...) but today my tastes have become
more ecclectic (pop, jazz, classical, electro-jazz, bluegrass...) and I
have no favourite band.

6. Favorite movie(s): No favourite movie(s) but a favourite way of
listening the DVDs I am watching: only with my wife, heaphones and a
dolby headphone processor.

7. Favorite type of watch: 50's to 2000's (mechanical watches), 70's all
stainless steel watches (digital watches)

8. Years collecting: I have been a collector for 25 years.

9. Other things you collect: I used to collect avertising tins/boxes and
mechanical watches (I sold all of them).

10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: At home
with my beloved wife. After a good meal she cooked for us, we watch
together a good DVD (with headphones, of course!). During the film, I
give sometimes an quick eye to the digital watch I am wearing at the
moment...

Bonus Question
11. Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: Sorry,
nothing mysterious about my identity.

Pegasos9

Post04 Jan 2008, 11:43

Hello everyone and may we all have a good and healthy new year. This is my first post.

1.User name/real name if you want: Pegasos9/ T. F.

2.Birth year: 1980

3.Occupation: Psychologist

4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Technology, Sports, Music, Women, Philosophy, Poetry, etc.

5.Favorite band(s): Infinite number

6. Favorite movie(s): Never hold names to recall

7.Favorite type of watch: could be any, depends on the moment

8. Years collecting: 0, but i am starting now!

9.Other things you collect: Books mainly, maybe music too

10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: whatever

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: No mystery everything is as clear as crystal...

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post08 Feb 2008, 00:32

Greetings all, fellow digital watch enthusiasts. I've posted a bit already and thought I'd add myself to this list. I'm more into analog movements but still appreciate digital. I'm in the midst of trying to revive a great old classic Casio LCD with solar cells in it.

1. User Name: Xevious / Gary
2. Birth: 1962 (damned, where does the time go?)
3. Occupation: Product Manager for business software applications. Wished I'd become an actor.
4. Hobbies and things you enjoy: I used to have many regular hobbies, but got sidetracked by life. I used to be an avid road cyclist and occasional mountain biker--trying to revive those interests this year. Skiing, when there is local snow (which has been seldom as of late). Photography, as digital technology has liberated me. I mostly enjoy photographing nature and anything with my macro lens (the micro-universe fascinates me). I love SCUBA and try to go on at least one trip a year. Classical piano (came back to it after a long hiatus). Travel, by any means, to places preferrably international. Museum browsing. Fountain pens. Flashlights (weird, eh?).
5. Favorite music: I enjoy rock, some pop, jazz, techno, trip-hop, and classical. Artists/composers all across. Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Ben Fold Five, Dave Matthews, Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, Thievery Corporation, Scarlatti, Chopin, Ravel...
6. Favorite Films: I'm all over... from classics to indies, from mainstream action to freaky weird stuff.
7. Favorite Watch: This changes over time, but lately my new Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834.
8. Years Collecting: Not sure... I do remember buying my very first watch at age 12, a Timex automatic. I jumped for joy when LED's came out, then realized the painfully poor efficiency and usability. LCD got me happy again and I was thrilled when Casio started making solar watches. Then LCD's fell out of style and I eventually stopped wearing mine. It was Citizen's Eco-drive in 1998 that rekindled my interest in watches. I have 4 of them now, plus a couple of vintage automatics. I never thought I'd consider it, but one day I hope to have a very nicely done solid automatic, like a Ball or Ocean7.
9. Other collections: Vintage microphones, fountain pens, and highly detailed diecast cars. But much of this is going to the eBay hopper, as I've wised up on "lean and mean" is the way to go through life.
10. Your idea of a Good evening: Depends on the mood and weather, but preference is to get out and explore the night.
11. Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: My name "Xevious" is from a 1982 arcade game that was really clever for its time. I've always liked the name since, having a bit of mystery and "deviousness" to it.

dazza8161

Post28 Mar 2008, 12:56

1.User name/real name if you want:Darren
2.Birth year: 1985
3.Occupation: Student
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Swimming
5.Favorite band(s): Anything really
6. Favorite movie(s): Alot
7.Favorite type of watch: Mondia Top Second, Bulova Big Block
8. Years collecting: 3
9.Other things you collect: Old cinema ticket stubs :)
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: town!

aladdin_sane

Geek

Geek

Post14 Apr 2008, 00:26

I introduced myself elsewhere but I'm bored so here goes again:

1. aladdin_sane = Chris
2. 1965 (though people say I look much older)
3. former publican.
4. love being in the gym 5 days a week, like to read, have a number of pen friends I like to keep in regular contact with, real ale, telly, cooking.
5. David Bowie, Rolling Stones
6. Paris Texas, Silence of the Lambs, Se7eN, Road to Perdition, Driving Miss Daisy, Notes on a Scandal, Oliver Twist.
7. LED's - Novus, CompuChron, Hamilton's, Bulova, Majestyk
8. well I got my first LED 32 years ago (Commodore) but only been collecting a short while and now I have a 32 year old Novus and a Majestyk M-1 but looking to expand as and when funds allow.
9. vintage fountain pens - the Eversharp Skyline is a pen from the gods.
10. in good company in a real ale bar with good background music (not too loud, not too soft) followed by a good curry and then home to bed on my own.

11. aladdin_sane comes from a David Bowie album but the name also sums me up. I like to think of myself as a mostly harmless eccentric. I have my obsessions like LED's, fountain pens and Kaspersky Internet Security. I live alone with my cat. I don't drool! I was once described (in character) as a cross between Oscar Wilde and Oliver Reed - make of that what you will.

iggy tee

Techie

Techie

Post17 Oct 2008, 12:19

1.User name/real name if you want:iggy tee / igor
2.Birth year:1971
3.Occupation:sound engenier, making a commercials and lecture students
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy:restoring watches and old gadgets,Citroen SM...
5.Favorite band(s):ambiental and melodic music with no hard and heavy sounds...I hate that sound
6. Favorite movie(s): artificial intiligention
7.Favorite type of watch:70S big watches,LED,jump hour and early LCD
8. Years collecting:14
9.Other things you collect:many fine arts old things...
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home:staying home with my lovely girlfriend

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post17 Oct 2008, 12:59

1.User name/real name if you want: bucko170/Mick

2.Birth year: 1967.........Still a good looking B**tard though.

3.Occupation: Fossilized Mineral Extraction Engineer..oh alright Coal Miner.

4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Obviously collecting watches, football (Nottingham Forest) ice hockey (Nottingham Panthers) Gym addict last 5 years, Motorbike (Suzuki GS850)

5.Favorite band(s): Green Day, Sex Pistols, Artic Monkeys and more.

6. Favorite movie(s): Back to the future, Norman Wisdom, George Formby, Laural and Hardy- love the oldies!

7.Favorite type of watch: Anything from the 70s also anything unusual.

8. Years collecting: About 3.

9.Other things you collect: I spend that much on watches I cannot to collect anything else! Used to collect matchboxes as a kid.

10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Both can be good but now, with 2 kids, staying at home more often than not.

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity:
Don't know if my online identity could be considered mysterious but it is made up of a combination of my old school nickname (bucko) and my works number (170) nothing really mysterious has happened to me since my reincarnation as Elvis apart from the usual alien abduction and meetings with Yeti and the Lock Ness Monster.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post17 Oct 2008, 12:59

1.User name/real name if you want: bucko170/Mick

2.Birth year: 1967.........Still a good looking B**tard though, ask the wife.

3.Occupation: Fossilized Mineral Extraction Engineer..oh alright Coal Miner.

4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Obviously collecting watches, football (Nottingham Forest) ice hockey (Nottingham Panthers) Gym addict last 5 years, Motorbike (Suzuki GS850), cycling.

5.Favorite band(s): Green Day, Sex Pistols, Artic Monkeys and more.

6. Favorite movie(s): Back to the future, Norman Wisdom, George Formby, Laural and Hardy- love the oldies!

7.Favorite type of watch: Anything from the 70s also anything unusual.

8. Years collecting: About 3.

9.Other things you collect: I spend that much on watches I cannot to collect anything else! Used to collect matchboxes as a kid.

10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Both can be good but now, with 2 kids, staying at home more often than not.

Bonus Question
Don't know if my online identity could be considered mysterious but it is made up of a combination of my old school nickname (bucko) and my works number (170) nothing really mysterious has happened to me since my reincarnation as Elvis apart from the usual alien abduction and meetings with Yeti and the Lock Ness Monster, but thats happened to us all right :?:

PS : Sorry about the double post - had to refresh the page when it was submitted due to server error and ended up with 2 of the same.

Pulsarlover

Post27 Nov 2008, 00:12

1.User name/real name if you want: Pulsarlover/Jules Benne
2.Birth year: 1954
3.Occupation: Teacher (retiring 1/5/09)
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Pulsars, Pulsars and Pulsars
5.Favorite band(s): Pulsar Date/Command
6. Favorite movie(s): Live and Let Die
7.Favorite type of watch: Pulsar Date Comand
8. Years collecting: 1 (got my first in 1974 as a gift-still have it, doesn't work as of now)
9.Other things you collect: Pulsars
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home:
Staying home
Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity:I wanted a Rolex President at one time afterward, but not now-I finally got my 14kt gold Pulsar Date/Command.

Snetzka

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Nov 2008, 00:31

1. User name/real name if you want: Snetzka / Mike
2. Birth year: 1958 (Yes the numbers do go that low.!)
3. Occupation: Operations director for a software company, although my background is Electronics Engineering.
4. Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Fast car's, Fast Bikes, Technology, Hi-Fi.
5. Favorite band(s): To many to list, but Floyed, Super Tramp - 70's stuff
6. Favorite movie(s): Fifth Element or any thing with Milla Jovovich in it :-)
7. Favorite type of watch: Synchronar 2100 - obviously :-)
8. Years collecting: Only 2-3 and slow to start, but I have a bit more time now to tinker.
9. Other things you collect: Silver Coins, CD's, Grey hair (LOL)..
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Hey, i live in NZ, everyday is like a holiday - sun, sand, beach.

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: Snetzka is Polish corruption of the Russian word for Snowball. I used to own a Samoyd for whom we wanted a unique name, so we got a polish guy to translate it into Russian..

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Nov 2008, 02:43

1.User name/real name if you want: clockace/peter
2.Birth year: 1942 [i must be the oldest one here]
3.Occupation: antique clock repair/watches [semi-retired]
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: watches and clocks
5.Favorite band(s): none
6. Favorite movie(s): dr zhivago
7.Favorite type of watch: too many to single out to just one
8. Years collecting: 50+
9.Other things you collect: different bible translations
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: puttering around with my collection. right now synchronar mkI/II's

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: i have always worn a watch on each arm. sometimes the same, sometimes different models.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Who Are You? Take a turn.

Post25 Jan 2009, 14:36

I just noticed that I have posted more than 1000 times in this forum, so it's probably time to introduce myself ;-)

1.User name/real name if you want: rewolf (very close to my real name)
2.Birth year: 1967
3.Occupation: Embedded systems design engineer (hardware and software development)
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Friends, GOOD movies, books, music, single malts, ...
5.Favorite band(s): mainly electronic music like Dub, Dub House, Minimal House, Electro, Ambient, the deeper the better...
6. Favorite movie(s): I'll name only one: "Pulp Fiction", but there are so many many more... (see below)
7.Favorite type of watch: square, digital, clean design
8. Years collecting: 5
9.Other things you collect: pocket calculators (Sharp DSM, early TI LED, TI programmable, BASIC programmable)
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: both, depending on mood

Bonus Question
My former nick here was "kateshitikano" - derived from "Takeshi Kitano", great Japanese movie director and actor (Hana-Bi, Kikujiro, Zatoichi, ... all of them could be #1 instead of Pulp Fiction).
Originally I always wanted to use "tentinquaratino" as online nick, but after "Kill Bill I+II" Mr. Tarantino lost his status as best director to Mr. Kitano - and his later movies (Hostel, Grind House/Death Proof) only affirmed that.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Who Are You? Take a turn.

Post25 Jan 2009, 14:51

Snetzka wrote:6. Favorite movie(s): Fifth Element or any thing with Milla Jovovich in it :-)
Mee too ;-) - though that made me watch a lot of bad movies (I think "Resident Evil: Extinction" will make me break with this habit)

ledlover

Post26 Jan 2009, 19:11

1. User name/real name if you want: Murray
2. Birth year: 1970
3. Occupation: freelance java developer in investment banking
4. Hobbies and things you really enjoy: snowboarding, psychedelia, cycling, raving, ancient astronaut theories, djing, computer games, design
5. Favorite band(s): psychedelic trance music, eg. Hallucinogen, Astrix. 60s/70s library music eg. James Clarke, Alan Hawkshaw
6. Favorite movie(s): Scarface, Happiness, Magnolia, Blade Runner
7. Favorite type of watch: stainless steel LED of course - a Girard Perregaux Casquette is my holy grail at the mo.
8. Years collecting: 1.5 years
9. Other things you collect: Space age design from the 60s/70s including furniture, ashtrays, clocks, radios & TVs...'L'Utopie Du Tout Plastique' is my bible in this department! I also collect late 70s - mid 80s handheld electronic games - eg. Astro Wars, Pac Man, Galaxians, etc. I have a collection of over 150 LED & VFD handhelds!

10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Going to a psy-trance party with a crystal clear soundsystem and fab line up, dropping some good 'rugs, and raving well into the next day with my mates and g/friend. Hmmm, and maybe DJing there myself!

Well you did ask!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Who Are You? Take a turn.

Post27 Jan 2009, 01:42

ledlover wrote:10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Going to a psy-trance party with a crystal clear soundsystem and fab line up, dropping some good 'rugs, and raving well into the next day with my mates and g/friend. Hmmm, and maybe DJing there myself!

Well you did ask!!!
Last edited by retroleds on 26 Feb 2010, 01:32, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Post28 Jun 2009, 18:49

Gosh! It's been so long since I logged on here! :oops: I kind of got away from LED collecting in favour of mechanicals, but I've never lost my love of vintage LED's (and LCD's as well). Here's a brief re-intro:

1.User name/real name if you want: real name: Sherry Buttnor
2.Birth year: long time ago ;-)
3.Occupation: astronomy
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: watch collecting, geocaching, cycling, watersports, cooking,....loafing about.
5.Favorite band(s): Jimmy Buffett, John Fogerty, Trooper, Meatloaf, ABBA ,Jean Michel Jarre, Wendy Carlos, Harry Belafonte, Tarika....heck, I like just about all music.
6. Favorite movie(s): The Great Race, Water (the Cascara one..), anything James Bond.
7.Favorite type of watch: probably vintage LED's, but the older I get the more I realize I like all watches...much to the dismay of my bank account :roll: My favourite brands are Pulsar Time Computer, Eterna, Orient, and Casio G-Shock.
8. Years collecting: early 1970's - present
9.Other things you collect: vintage bicycles, vintage analog synthesizers
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: when I'm not observing or photographing the heavens, my idea of a good time these days is a good book, a glass of wine, and being in bed by 10! How sad is that?! Ten is when I used to go out!

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: here I'm the 70's_gal cuz the 70's and 80's were my fave decades. Mostly, however, you will see me elsewhere online as Popoki Nui, which means Big Cat, or many cats, since I'm a tall lass and have many cats. :-D
Too many watches, not enough wrists... ;-)

cheeksterr

Techie

Techie

Post16 Nov 2009, 23:23

1.User name/real name if you want: Cheeksterr / Carl
2.Birth year: 1968
3.Occupation: Electrican
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Music, comedy, Festivals
5.Favorite band(s): Alabama 3, Frank Zappa, Cult, Elvis, Faithless
6. Favorite movie(s): Love Honour & Obey
7.Favorite type of watch: Cartier Pasha (non LED) & Omega TC, Pulsar P3 in LED
8. Years collecting: 0
9.Other things you collect: Fridge magnets of places visited with Mrs
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: Home with family

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: Nothing mysterious about me, just had this desire from seeing an ad in a magazine maybe 10 yrs back about a James Bond LED watch which I think was Omega. I have always wanted it since then. Now I will begin my search. I hate gold or gold plated watches. Look terrible when the plate rubs off and too Blingy for me

egomon

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jan 2010, 19:07

Hi, something about me.

1.User name/real name if you want: egomon
2.Birth year: 1977
3.Occupation: Product designer
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: reading, music, movies, everything what you can do outdoors
5.Favorite band(s): electro, one old soviet punk band "Vennaskond", Röyksopp- for now, and lot's of others.
6. Favorite movie(s): 12 Monkeys, Alien 1 and 2, Dune, thx-1138.
7.Favorite type of watch: My first La Generale
8. Years collecting: started one month ago
9.Other things you collect: Nixie tube clock's, VFD clock's-soviet era, Soviet era sci fi book's in estoninan. A'm originally from Estonia
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: both are exelent with good friends

jones38

Nerd

Nerd

Post29 Jan 2010, 22:32

1.User name/real name if you want: jones38
2.Birth year: 1988 - I'm a baby!
3.Occupation: Student
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Reading, running, relaxing
5.Favorite band(s): Punchline, Jimmy Eat World
6. Favorite movie(s): Masculin Feminin, When Harry Met Sally
7.Favorite type of watch: Orient
8. Years collecting: Beginner!
9.Other things you collect: CDs
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: hmm.. maybe a combo of both!

Bonus Question
11.Explain something mysterious about you or your online identity: I have an outtie bellybutton :eek:

retroledwatchescom

Post03 Feb 2010, 13:48

Hi guys!

1.User name/real name if you want: retroledwatchescom
2.Birth year: 1966
3.Occupation: Computer geek
4.Hobbies and things you really enjoy: Music, sports & computer games
5.Favorite band(s): Thrash metal bands - especially the old metallica albums
6. Favorite movie(s): Alien
7.Favorite type of watch: LIP DIODE
8. Years collecting: -
9.Other things you collect: guitars
10. Your idea of a good evening - out on town, or staying home: A nite at the pub, with my spouse or an evening in front of my PC playing "The Witcher".

Bonus Question
It promotes my site with new retro looking led watches.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Feb 2010, 18:33

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Members of DWF