It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:46

Hi From Peterborough In England

A great place to make your first posting.
  • Author

Steamerpoint

Hi From Peterborough In England

Post08 Nov 2008, 19:59

Just thought I would post to say hi.

I'm now in my 40's, but as a teenager I was lucky enough to have owned a red LED watch (Could have been a Pulsar, difficult to remember), which obviously got battered to death climbing trees, falling off bicycles and then later mopeds.

This week, feeling very nostalgic, I ventured onto ebay and purchased a rather nice Compu Chron, which I hope will arrive later next week. Can't wait.

I have previously popped into a couple of local watch shops and asked them if they had any vintage LED watches, but they only had modern replicas.

Perhaps I am just a little mad, but I feel there is something special about owning an original.

The one I am purchasing is close to mint condition (Though I haven't seen it in real life yet) and already stupid thoughts have come to mind about only wearing it on special occasions in an attempt to keep it from getting scratched etc, but my wife has said that this is silly and I should just enjoy it. Maybe somewhere in between then.

Do others here wear their special watches most of the time or do you have a less special watch for everyday use?

Cheers Chris.

ImageImage

ImageImage
Just because your breathing, doesn't mean your alive!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Hi From Peterborough In England

Post08 Nov 2008, 22:31

Hey Pete!
Wear it! Where else would old,scratched watches come from? :lol: But certainly everyone has(or hopes for) a piece so special, you really couldn't wear it often, if ever, due to worries of damage. ~:( :x ~:( :x
Myself, I couldn't justify even a penny spent on the lottery but I meet lots of people who think we are terribly silly men for "collecting watches" :mrgreen: . Hopefully you'll find a few like-minded(to you) people here. 8-) It's a clean little indulgence -apparently your wife recognizes that at some level. You're ahead of most here in that regard! CHEERS! :-P
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Steamerpoint

Post09 Nov 2008, 00:26

You are probaby right about wearing it, because after all, that is what they were made for. :-)
That said, I have a funny feeling that this LED watch thing is very adictive and I can see myself looking for a less perfect watch for wearing daily.

If I found an LED watch that wasn't working internally, can replacement modules still be purchased?

Also, I think this question was asked here before and not really answered, but is there somewhere in the UK where LED watches can be repaired/ reconditioned.

Regards Chris

P.S. I'm really into these online forum sites. I set up and run a caravan forum and a scooter/motorcycle forum, so spend huge amounts of time chatting away with people. If this LED watch hobby takes off, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more of me. :-D

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post09 Nov 2008, 18:43

Welcome Chris,
your wife and retroleds are correct: WEAR IT! (but avoid climbing trees and falling off mopeds with it ;-) ).

The Compuchron is a nice watch, yet not exactly rare, so it's a good one to start with - it can be replaced if you lose it. And according to the images you posted you purchased it from majestyk, who has a very good reputation (one of the best, to be exact), so you won't be disappointed with its condition :-)

Spare parts and modules for original LED watches are no more available from any manufacturer (most of them don't even exist any more). And forget your local jeweller - most likely he has never even seen an original LED watch (philistine! ;-) ).

Steamerpoint

Post09 Nov 2008, 22:10

Hi,
Yes I think you are right, it did come from someone called Majestyk across the pond somewhere. Seems like a nice chap when he contaced me.
This vintage LED watch scene seems like a small world then if you all know each other.

It is sad to hear that replacement parts are no longer available. I guess it is a case of waiting for old watches to turn up when people move house, leave this world etc.
I'm sure millions of these watches were made in the 70's so a fair few should survive.
With modern technology in the 21st centry, I am sure it would be possible to get someone in China to build replacement modules if they knew there was a market for them. Even if they only built 1000 of them.

In a way, it's good to hear that the Compu Chron is not such a rare watch. Well in 2008 anyway. We might not be saying this in 2025 of course! If it stops working in years to come, it might be possible to buy another module for it. Am I right that it takes a Hughs 25mm module, the type with the delicately mounted crystal I read about here somewhere?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Hi From Peterborough In England

Post09 Nov 2008, 22:56

Steamerpoint wrote:With modern technology in the 21st centry, I am sure it would be possible to get someone in China to build replacement modules if they knew there was a market for them. Even if they only built 1000 of them.
The problem is the 70's LED display - they are not made this way any more. Large LED chips, too much silicon required, too expensive. You'd have to convince a chip manufacturer to make this type of 7-segment display again.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post10 Nov 2008, 01:09

Hi Chris,

Nice watch to start off your collection with, once you get the bug there'll be no stopping you... :-D

Am I right that it takes a Hughs 25mm module, the type with the delicately mounted crystal

Yes your correct, a watch with this type of module can be spotted by the fuction button and set button positioned 180deg apart, see pic...

Steamerpoint

Post10 Nov 2008, 22:04

Cheers Klippie and thanks. I'm already like a kid in a sweet shop checking out other LED's up for sale on various websites and then re-checking the bank balance. :-o
I now find myself keeping score with the wife's purchases! Today she came back home with a new type of hair curling tongs, which she paid £20 for. I'm thinking great, if she can spend £20 of them, I can now put £20 towards my next watch! :-)

Is there an LED watch that all collectors strive to have in their collection and if so, what is it?
(This is where everyone tries to sell me their old dog watches! lol)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post10 Nov 2008, 22:41

Hi Steamerpoint,

Buy the wife a present of equal value to the watch you wish to purchase, expensive method, but works a treat!

On the most desirable watch question it would depend on your budget and personal preference, the Andrew Grima, Pulsar P1, Girard Perregaux spring to mind but there are loads more watches which could be included on the list, different people will have different opinions on what should and should not be included.

Desirability is governed by such factors as rarity, prestige, quality of materials used, looks, originality, the collectability factor etc.

There are thousands of models and makes - click on the photograph link and check some of them out here http://thedigitalwatch.com/

Regards Mick.

Steamerpoint

Post11 Nov 2008, 03:55

OMG ...... Cheers Mick........ Hundreds & Hundreds!!! :-D
I'm gonna be looking through that lot for weeks.

Found my soon to be LED watch there also. http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/compuchron16.htm Maybe not rare, but to me it is an attractive watch. Perhaps that is why they are not rare. Lots of people bought them. :-) Is that what all people with common LED watches say? :lol:

Would the average purchase price of a nice LED with very few scratches, that works be between £100 ($180) and £250 ($450)?
I see quite a lot of LED's within this range.

There is a very good looking LED calculator watch on ebay at the moment sky rocketing up. I showed my wife it, as I think it looks fantastic, but when I showed my wife, she thought it looked ugly. Obviously I can't afford another LED at the moment, but I can see things getting tricky ahead. Perhaps I could buy them secretly and hide them away from her!
Not an addict! Just got a bit of a cold that's all!! As they say on the ad!

No, got to be sensible about these things. This is the sort of hobby that can bankrupt a person if your not careful.

Dumb question, where do these watches re-surface? I mean it must be a collectors dream to stumble upon a rare LED in great condition at a car boot sale and the person selling it says "Tell you what mate, just give me a fiver for the old watch"!!!!!! OMG, how lucky.

You know whats the hardest part about buying a nice LED watch? It's waiting the 2-weeks for it to come through the post from the states or some other far flung place! Arghh. :cry:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post11 Nov 2008, 10:27

didn't want to post, but can't delete this message... now I have to write something...

That sky-rocketing calculator watch must be a HP-01.
One of the "must-haves" ;-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post11 Nov 2008, 12:37

There's also a SS Pulsar 901 module - no flick wrist, could be that one also :?:

Steamerpoint - The compuchron that you purchased is a really nice watch, all LED from that period are RARE, especially in that condition, it just happens that some LED's are rarer than others :!:

You will be pleased with your purchase (when it arrives.) My first purchase was a Commodore LED, which I am proud to still have in my collection even though it is not the rarest model ever - I agree the waiting for the watch to arrive is the worst part!

With the vast array of brands and models available it would be difficult to give a average price, but I would think it fair to say that there are watches to suit all budgets.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post11 Nov 2008, 19:54

That sky-rocketing calculator watch must be a HP-01.

There's also a SS Pulsar 901 module

Oh yeah! And the list goes on and on and on....

Welcome Steamerpoint. I also have that CompuChron model you have, it's a great watch. Comfortable, reasonably sized digtis (not those teeny ones), realiable - what's not to like? :-)
So what if it's not 'the most sought after watch' - you can get one of those too. And a mid-priced one... and a cheaper one... and a casual one... and a dress one... and.... ... 8-) :!:

Steamerpoint

Post12 Nov 2008, 00:44

It's nice to find a forum with an active community.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. :-)

A courier van stopped outside the house today. I litteraly ran to the door hoping this was it, but how could it possibly be, it has only been 5 days since I bought it, but was still hoping. Alas it was nothing more than a few books from Amazon! :-(

It is also going to be a while before I can buy my next must have, rare LED watch. I bore you with the details, but a company owes me £580 and today I heard that they called in the administrators!!!! They were a limited company and have just gone to the wall. I will contact the official receivers to see if the company has any money left to pay me something! I was hoping to see this money this year and it now looks like my next LED will be somewhere during 2009! Ironically with the world going to the dogs right now, this is probably a good time to pick up LED watches at decent prices as collectors could probably do with the money.

By the way, what is a flick wrist?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post12 Nov 2008, 01:12

Flick-wrist?
Some LED watches have a module which enables the user to activate the time display at the turn of the wrist and without pressing the command button in a hands free action.

The Pulsar, Gillette, Birks spring to mind as Brands who have produced various models incorporating the flick of wrist action.

You get curious first, then you start wanting one :twisted:

PS: There is also the Hughes message module - which allows you to input a scrolling message of up to 5 words containing a max of 5 letters, they are also cool 8-) Mine is currently displaying 'bite my shiny metal arse'

................& then there's also the solar powered LED watches, the dual LCD\LED display's, the alarm LED watches, dot matrix display, chronograph, 24hr display, drivers style, calculator, dual time zone ..........etc, etc ~:(

Steamerpoint

Post12 Nov 2008, 22:59

Flick-wrist?
Some LED watches have a module which enables the user to activate the time display at the turn of the wrist and without pressing the command button in a hands free action.

Oh okay. Is there not a danger that during a normal day, the watch could inadvertanly be flicked on by the wearer and this leads to early battery failure? From memory, batteries struggle to last 12 months as it is!

Mine is currently displaying 'bite my shiny metal arse'

An interesting choice of words. :lol:
Seriously though, is there a reason for it or was it a case of "We have the technology to make it happen, so why not"?
Strange when you look back 30 years, with us all now living in the true digital age! Things were really cutting edge at the time.

I have been reading about LED watches with light sensors so sense whether it should make the LED's brighter during day light hours etc. This sounds like a great function and one that would probably save battery life as long as the sensor doesn't use much power in the first place!

Quick question. If I need to change the batteries in the Compu Chron when it arrives, can it be opened easily enough without any special tools or would you recommend that I take it to a watch shop?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post13 Nov 2008, 01:32

bucko170 wrote:You get curious first, then you start wanting one :twisted:

... and end up with best part of a 1000 watches, all bought for a reason off course. But its ok, the therapy is working, honest. I can handle it. No more than 1 a day. They are just watches ;-)

So, err, back to business. Did anyone see that mint working Heuer Chronosplit LED+LCD on ebay for $5k the other day ?!!

Seriously though, is there a reason for it or was it a case of "We have the technology to make it happen, so why not"?
Strange when you look back 30 years, with us all now living in the true digital age! Things were really cutting edge at the time.

I remember back in the day that the Hughes Message Watch was more a gimic handed out to Hughes employees in 1975 to sort of brag that sure they could do it, but more for the prestige of being able to show off a "luxury" LED with a unique feature, that got put to some very tactical uses when in comes to drunken office parties ...

I have been reading about LED watches with light sensors so sense whether it should make the LED's brighter during day light hours etc. This sounds like a great function and one that would probably save battery life as long as the sensor doesn't use much power in the first place!

The sensore dont use any power and they dont make decisions on 'daylight hours' as if powered by Win3.11 ! They usually use an LDR = light dependant resistors that simple vary/restrict the current to the LED driver transistors. A LED was always going to be difficult to read in bright daylight, but the red lens usually helped with contrast, however, if it was then the same daylight-brightness in a dark room it would be blindingly bright ! Generally the current use that I've measured ranges from 10/15MA, to 50/75ma - which is alot for a tiny battery. (this varies alot for many other reasons)

Quick question. If I need to change the batteries in the Compu Chron when it arrives, can it be opened easily enough without any special tools or would you recommend that I take it to a watch shop?

"yes", "not really" just be carefull, and "no". Jewellers charge stupid money to change a battery, eg, £5 for the cell, and £5-£10 for the 'skill'. Most cells can be purchased in bulk off ebay for less than 10p each, and the 'skill' is learnt in minutes and well worth it in the long run.

Steamerpoint

Post13 Nov 2008, 03:03

... and end up with best part of a 1000 watches, all bought for a reason off course. But its ok, the therapy is working, honest. I can handle it. No more than 1 a day. They are just watches

1000 watches!! OMG that is a serious addiction alright! I would love to take a look at them one day. Talk about a kid in a sweet shop. Do collectors ever meet to share their passion for unusual watches?
If not perhaps they should.

the Hughes Message Watch was more a gimic handed out to Hughes employees in 1975 to sort of brag that sure they could do it

I suspected as much. They can't be easy to setup and after all, why would you spend ages setting one up for yourself to see. Might as well just write it down. I can see how it might be useful if a member of the oposite sex asks the time and you show them the message instead of the time. Knowing my luck, I would accidently set off the message when my boss asks to see the time!

The sensor doesn't use any power and they dont make decisions on 'daylight hours' as if powered by Win3.11 !

Still sounds like one of the handiest things to have on a LED watch then. That said, seeing bright red LED's shining away brightly in the evening has still got to be nice. Shows that they are all still working well. :-)

"yes", "not really" just be carefull, and "no". Jewellers charge stupid money to change a battery, eg, £5 for the cell, and £5-£10 for the 'skill'. Most cells can be purchased in bulk off ebay for less than 10p each, and the 'skill' is learnt in minutes and well worth it in the long run.

Okay, so where does one get the skill to carefully remove the watch back without damaging it in order to change the batteries and possibly clean the inside? They've all got to be different surely?

Steamerpoint

Post17 Nov 2008, 19:43

Great news! Watch arrived this morning and it looks great. It all works and even though it has come across the Atlantic, the time and date was set to UK time and it was spot on!

I only got to spend 5 minutes checking it was okay before the wife stole it off me to put back into the box and wrap it up for christmas! :cry:
So now I've got to wait another 5-weeks, but at least I know it's safe.

I hope batteries are easy to get, because I have a feeling I'll be checking the time frequently! :-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post17 Nov 2008, 20:18

Steamerpoint wrote:Great news! Watch arrived this morning and it looks great. It all works and even though it has come across the Atlantic, the time and date was set to UK time and it was spot on!
That' s majestyk ;-)

Steamerpoint wrote:I hope batteries are easy to get, because I have a feeling I'll be checking the time frequently! :-)
They are - but only if you buy them online, not at your local jeweller.
For best performance and constant brightness over whole battery life use silver oxide cells. They cost more than akalines, but IMHO it's worth it because you don't have to open the watch so often (=less risk of damage). But in a year or so - when you will have hundreds of LED watches to maintain - you might decide to go for dead cheap alkalines for purely financial reasons ;-)

More on batteries here: http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?p=15907

Steamerpoint

Post18 Nov 2008, 02:24

For best performance and constant brightness over whole battery life use silver oxide cells. They cost more than akalines, but IMHO it's worth it because you don't have to open the watch so often (=less risk of damage).

Thank you for some great advice. I have decided to wear the watch rather than lock it up only to be taken out on special occasions, so the batteries are gonna get a hammering.
Of course I'm going to be careful with it and take it off at times when the risk of damaging it is greatest.

As a teenager, my old LED spent part of its life under a leather cover, which I had to unclip before I could read the time. The thought crossed my mind to get one of these to protect the face, but then I decided against it on the grounds that I want to see the watch.

Life is not a rehearsal and we only get one chance of it, so might as well savour the good things when they come along! :-) As the watch is not a very rare variety, I will not worry too much about taking a very clean LED watch out of collector circulation and adding a few light scuffs to it.
(I'm saying that now, but first knock and it'll probably be under a leather hood!!! Nooooo I must resist!!! :eek: )

Return to Members of DWF