It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:28

Hello from Texas

A great place to make your first posting.
  • Author

nunya

Hello from Texas

Post03 Apr 2013, 03:08

Hi all! I'm a watch fanatic from Texas and I have just found this great community. I am active on another forum and mostly into building mechanical homage watches. I also "collect" authentic vintage watches when I can find them for whatever I deem to be a good deal. Just starting to check out the LED watches and I have to say the nostalgia is what is driving me to lust after a few models at this point. I grew up in the 70's and remember very well my first digital watch and how I had to beg and plead before finally obtaining one. Now I'm looking to add one or several to my collection and this site seems to be a wealth of information about these beauties.

I hope I will eventually have something to offer to the community. Until then, I will continue to explore and learn.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Hello from Texas

Post03 Apr 2013, 04:01

Welcome aboard :Hi:

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2013, 04:07

Welcome to the forum nunya "willkommen"

Which particular models did you have in mind to add to your collection?

Photo's are always welcome :pics:

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Apr 2013, 07:52

Hell nunya,

I also grew up in the 70's and Star Wars is what got me hooked on the LEDs. That Star Wars TI LED with the "good guys" on the bezel of the watch was stunning to me. I saw my first LED in grammar school, when a kid showed me his TI "gold plated with brown band" LED watch in the cafeteria and I was amazed at the technology.

anyway,

- Patrick

nunya

Post03 Apr 2013, 12:54

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post03 Apr 2013, 13:16

hi and welcome to the community.
whenever you find an interesting watch or would have any concerns with your purchase please share your findings.
we will guide you somehow so you will not pay more than necessary, I guess this is always a learning curve for everybody when buying a LED watch for the first time.

btw. would you be so kind and explain your activity in reference to
nunya wrote:... building mechanical homage watches...

what is that about?
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

nunya

Post03 Apr 2013, 18:47

azimuth_pl wrote:btw. would you be so kind and explain your activity in reference to
nunya wrote:... building mechanical homage watches...

what is that about?

I am most active at the Homage Forum. Not sure on the rules about posting URLs so I'll just say if you google it, you will find it right away.

I started off building watches that pay homage to the old Panarai classics. I don't build reps but I use classic cases to house a movement and custom dial. I've had a go at painting my own dials, and having custom dials built for me by those who have the equipment to do so. I also have taken a custom made case that came to me completely rough and finished the shaping, polishing, soldering (I hate soldering), etc.

I see a lot of similarities to that sort of creativity here which I find very interesting.

I have uploaded pictures of a couple of recent builds to the gallery area here: http://gallery.newdwf.com/index.php?cat=10014

Return to Members of DWF