It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:29

Pulsar green filter needed

Put wanted items here, please.
  • Author

DaleS

Pulsar green filter needed

Post18 Jul 2007, 16:33

Hi everyone,
This is my first post. What a great site! So many experts in one place.
I recently was able to purchase a Pulsar 3416-2 that is in excellent condition, except for the filter. The top edges are rough, like it was dragged over something once. I would like to put it back in like new condition and have contacted a number of likely sources without success. Does anyone out there know of a filter for this watch or some of the reasons why it may be so difficult to find one? Thanks for taking time to respond. Dale

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

: Pulsar green filter needed

Post25 Jul 2007, 18:52

hi there and welcome to the maniac-show ;)

green glass is almost impossible to find so I would suggest to remove it from the case. standard procedure - remove module, insert case into oven for 10 minutes and push the glass from the inside with a cloth.

then use approx. 600 sandpaper and make the angle on the glass a bit bigger and then finish with 2000 sandpaper. apply a bit of water at every step and add a drop once in a while. finish to a shine with a polishing compound "ferrium oxide" commonly called "jewellers rouge" a red powder mixed to a paste. for the last step a Dremel with a polishing tool is best at low speed.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Jul 2007, 01:29

If you're not experienced in this kind of thing I would suggest that you very carefully take the module out of the case (it's worth a lot of money and you don't want it to get bumped about in the post) and send the case to one of the more reputable members of this forum to have the lense refinished.

retroleds.com would be a good place to start. Whatever Ed charges you for refinishing the time screen will no doubt be a bargain compared to the hassel of dremel vs ferrium oxide action. Messy stuff!

Thats a top ten collectable led watch you've got there by the way (on my list anyway).

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jul 2007, 13:57

well, I thought that would be obvious not to start with something you would not be capable of doing.
there are some maniacs like us here and there in the world so depending on your location you can send it to one of us experts.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

DaleS

Post13 Aug 2007, 22:36

Thank you for taking time to respond to my problem. The top edge could be re-bevelled as you have suggested, but it has a fairly large chip, a good 1/32 down from the top so the bevel would be conspicuously different from the original.
I prefer to leave the blemish since I don't have any expertise in removing lenses.
Some history:
I began collecting watches last winter, purchasing some Accutrons that I remember from my university years when I couldn't afford to buy them. As a musician, my mother owned and enjoyed an Accutron 440 Hz (Concert 'A') watch and I began by purchasing one like she had back in the sixties. I then began collecting other models of accutrons and ended my Bulova series with a few LED watches. I became attracted to some of the Pulsars on the market and I have purchased a few of these, culminating in the green LED watch that was on e-bay recently. It is a beautiful watch, except it looks like it was scrubbed across something marring the top of the crystal. Otherwise it is perfect, with box and papers and provenance since it came from the original purchaser.
I realize that I am quite late in getting into Pulsar collecting, as most of the spare parts are long gone, but I will perservere and if I am able to obtain a green screen I will definitely send it off to the experts on this forum for installation in the watch.
Otherwise, I would only ask that you keep your ears and eyes open for something that I may miss.
Thank you again for your responses. I am thankful for this forum and totally impressed with the dedicated collectors that frequent it and devote so much time to helping other collectors.
Dale

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post14 Aug 2007, 09:06

Hi Dale.
I have never seen this model before and am curious to know if it is the same as the photo on Oldpulsars.com in the 3416-2 section ? I knew there was a green LED version, but was not aware that the crystal was also green (makes sense though) ?

Does yours have the green LED display as well as the green crystal ?

Rgds,
Andrew.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Pulsar green filter needed

Post14 Aug 2007, 13:46

DaleS wrote:... purchased a few of these, culminating in the green LED watch that was on e-bay recently...
So YOU were the lucky guy who got this rare watch for a bargain price :-). I remember green Pulsars sold for twice as much.

DaleS

Post14 Sep 2007, 02:54

Hi Andrew and others.
Sorry I am so tardy in responding. I have been away. In response to your question about the green watch, it is the 3416-2. I understand from Pulsar experts (of which I am not one) that the watch requires both the green led module and the green filter. I certainly hope that there is one around that is new, but this one is very tolerable for now. I feel very lucky to have encountered this watch for sale, complete with provenance and boxes and documents.
Thank you for your interest.
Dale

Return to Watches and Parts Needed