Put wanted items here, please.
  • Author

james_stan

Techie

Techie

Frontier module matching case

Post03 Feb 2010, 22:11

Hi all

sorry for all the questions of late. I'm very much still learning and making plenty of mistakes along the way.

Anyhow I'm trying to make sense of my rudimentary collection and I
would like to find a home for a nice working Frontier module (from memory type 20 05). Ideally I would like to put it in a matching stainless steel case if such thing exists. command is at 2'oclock set at three o'clock approx.

Any suggestion on what I should keep an eye out for ?

Plenty of compu chron cases out there but they take Hughes modules I believe.

Cheers

James

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

: Frontier module matching case

Post03 Feb 2010, 23:20

james_stan

Techie

Techie

Post04 Feb 2010, 00:22

HI Klippie

All these cases accept a frontier module rather than pulsar ?

That Quartzmatic is sublime - are you saying that you might have that model case for sale ? If so I'm not sure I dare ask the price..

Cheers

James

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Frontier module matching case

Post04 Feb 2010, 05:26

The Omega and Hamilton are not instantly acceptable for three reasons:
(a)The contacts on a standard Frontier module are set too deep, the buttons on the Hamilton and the Omega do not travel far enough. And the rubberized contact on the Frontier stops about 3.5 mm away from the front of the module, whilst Omega and Hamilton cases are typically made so the buttons hit the contact about slightly less than 2.5mm away from the face of the module. Essentially the button on a Hamilton or Omega case is going to fairly consistently miss the contact(by going under it) on a standard Frontier module, even if it fits int he case. And even if the buttons have enough travel to reach the deeper set contacts.
(b)The standard Frontier modules don't have the locating nub sticking out at the 12 oclock position, which keeps the display straight. But the standard Frontier modules circuit board can be placed onto the plastic battery holder assembly from an Omega or Hamilton.
(c) Most of the standard Frontier modules are a bit too deep(8mm), using #357 batteries, vs. #386 for the Omegas & Hamiltons(module 5.5mm deep). Don't want to crush the fragile, ceramic circuit board. :x

The Quartzmatic case will usually work just fine(some are set up for a National Semi module, buttons at 2 & 4)..
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

james_stan

Techie

Techie

Post04 Feb 2010, 14:13

To be honest the rubberized contacts (I assumed these are conducting) are pretty much trashed so I was planning on making some copper contacts from some thick copper foil (used for emc shielding) I have and soldering these in an L shape to the top of the module. - presumably then I can make these to suit.

Having said that I like teh Quartzmatic best anyhow, should I stumble across one.

Cheers

James

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post04 Feb 2010, 16:26

james_stan wrote:To be honest the rubberized contacts (I assumed these are conducting) are pretty much trashed so I was planning on making some copper contacts from some thick copper foil (used for emc shielding) I have and soldering these in an L shape to the top of the module. - presumably then I can make these to suit.
Having said that I like teh Quartzmatic best anyhow, should I stumble across one.
Cheers,James

James, correct on the conductive rubber. I'd suggest something a little thicker than copper foil, only because the buttons do tend to beat a dimple into even the most substantial contacts. Some of the Hamilton modules have the rubberized contacts with a copper contact shoved in on top of them( :idea: Leave the rubber as a "backer" for strength). And be sure to run your contact down a lot closer to the face of the module than the rubber contacts. It made those Hamiltons and Omegas a little thinner, but the buttons are darn tempermental. There are a lot of cases with the right button pattern, but many are not deep enough for a Frontier. Some others that often came with Frontiers: Buren, Advance, Quantum.... :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post04 Feb 2010, 20:07

retroleds wrote: But the standard Frontier modules circuit board can be placed onto the plastic battery holder assembly from an Omega or Hamilton.

I should have explained it better I took if for granted James would know this... :oops:

James with regards to my Quartzmatic it has a different case to the one I posted in the link I've been holding on to it hoping to get a module for it, I'd rather see it working again and being used, if you like it I'll sell it, we can talk about a price.

Here's a picture...

james_stan

Techie

Techie

Post05 Feb 2010, 16:44

Hi Klippie

Thanks for the reply. That's still a fantastic looking watch.

From where I'm sitting it looks like you're holding most of teh cards however. Case, bracelet, box papers vs a module..

So perhaps it would be better for me to let you have the module for a different trade.

I got some more bits (a Benrus like this ..) coming in (ebay naturally)of unknown provenance..

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/benrus.htm

so maybe something is needed for that. I do have a hankering for a stainless steel something but maybe I just have to be patient.

Cheers

James

PS likely to be visiting Fife in the next week or two on work

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2010, 17:25

Hi James,

I've been looking for a good working Frontier module for that watch for a couple of years to tell you the truth I've given up looking for one, its yours if you want it if not it'll go back in the box for another day.

Solid stainless steel watches.....I'd have to have a look to see what I've got I think I've a stainless Berus somewhere with a Hughes module inside, I'll get back to you... :-)

Return to Watches and Parts Needed