It is currently 10 May 2024, 15:22

wtd: Hamilton qed II battery retainer(s)

Put wanted items here, please.
  • Author

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

wtd: Hamilton qed II battery retainer(s)

Post17 Jan 2012, 16:43

see pics here for what i want- name your price!

see here for a pic- (second last pic)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220827601609?ru ... 3D1&_rdc=1

the repaired battery retaining clip (with solder) doesnt do a good enough job (probably why the previous owner advertised on here for the same thing quite a while ago)

this has been the cause of my issues i believe..

i would like to buy both clips if anyone has any good spares they want to sell at an inflated price :-D
thanks
Andy
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: wtd: Hamilton qed II battery retainer(s)

Post17 Jan 2012, 19:07

Andy_from_Perth wrote:the repaired battery retaining clip (with solder) doesnt do a good enough job (probably why the previous owner advertised on here for the same thing quite a while ago)
this has been the cause of my issues i believe..Andy

I can't see why the battery clip should be an issue all that it has to do is create a contact with the case? I would of thought that any clip (even one from another watch) that made a contact with both batteries and the case would be OK to complete the circuit?

The original clip would keep it authentic but is it necessary?

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

: wtd: Hamilton qed II battery retainer(s)

Post18 Jan 2012, 01:46

the clip that as been soldered, seems a little shorter overall and doesnt provide enough tension/force to give a reliable contact.
i can bend it to help make reasonable contact, but its because the clip is a bit shorter there is less room to give the retainer 'spring' and the clip is more likely to deform & not return to its orginal shape to provide tension.

i dont have any issue with the non soldered clip
cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

charger105

Guru

Guru

: wtd: Hamilton qed II battery retainer(s)

Post18 Jan 2012, 02:32

These battery clamps serve 3 purposes:

1. Join the batteries in series.
2. Connect the 1.5V mid-point of the batteries to the case (for button function).
3. Connect this 1.5V midpoint to the Frontier PCB. Where it hooks into the case, on the edge of the module, there's a cut-out in the plastic carrier, where the clamp touches the board.

There are quite a few Frontier versions however. Some use springs to make the #3 connection, some use the battery clamp, and some don't require this mid-voltage at all.

I scored an envelope with quite a few NOS clamps a month or two ago. I can probably part with a few. PM me if you want one.

Rgds,
Andrew.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post31 Jan 2012, 14:18

bump i need another one, if anyone has a spare.

thanks!
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post16 Jul 2012, 14:26

still need one, as the one i was sent got damaged in the mail :-(

name your price
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post16 Jul 2012, 15:58

Ok, first, almost nobody is going to give one of those up. But here is an answer....I answered this before, long time ago. Those were a hideous design idea. The D shaped clips on the FRontiers and some Hamiltons weren't much better..and of course, you had that darn tiny spring sticking out the back of the module(which is still there on your movement, it just runs from the common connector(piece your clips are screwed to) of the batteries where you can see it unless you pull the circuit board.

That clip has to touch top of battery and clip is [now] too straight at the soldered area. DOn't try to bend it - take a small piece of copper/brass and BRIDGE it. FIrst, solder to one half of broken clip. THen, using some thicker needle-nose pliers, hold the joint you just soldered(so it doesn't un-solder) and hold the bridging piece in alignment with the other original half. If you have tinned the bridge piece with solder previously, it should only take a second or two of proper alignment and heat to do the job. Viola - the clip is not lengthened, but it has a nice bend where it needs it.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jul 2012, 07:51

thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

just had a thought, since I'm buying a new complete module from strikes&spares, will I even need these clips/retainers???

hopefully not ~:(

cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Jul 2012, 10:11

I made spare battery clips for these Frontier (Hamilton) modules out of 0,5mm stainless steel.

Basically you can mount them with the screws which hold the old battery spring terminals. It´s neither a 1:1 replacement nor do fit the holes all types of Frontier cell terminals, but they are indeed a robust an 100% working solution.

http://www.strikesandspares.de/com/ersatze.htm

Best regards, Hanno.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jul 2012, 11:18

Hi Hanno,
I just sent you my Frontier module today, will the new replacement module from you have retaining clips or do I need to use my old ones or buy your new designed one as well?

thanks
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Jul 2012, 12:15

well I will return the module you have sent and that includes its plastic holder. THe only thing I change is the microcontroller and the circuit board. So if your cell terminals or battery springs are damaged, this new part can replace them. I will take a picture as soon as your module arrived.

Hanno.

Return to Watches and Parts Needed