It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:39

wanted: OPTEL LCD screen (UPDATE: Part found)

Put wanted items here, please.
  • Author

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

wanted: OPTEL LCD screen (UPDATE: Part found)

Post12 Mar 2013, 20:47

I am in need of a good replacement Optel LCD screen to repair my new Zodiac watch.
Zodiac.JPG

Watch works great, but LCD is bad.
If anyone has info of how to obtain a replacement, please point me in the right direction.
If you have one to sell, Please send me a PM with the cost ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Re: wanted: OPTEL LCD screen

Post13 Mar 2013, 18:38

Benrus,

Was this the recent Optel for sale on eBay recently (111016590746)? I don't mean to be a pest or bother you on this, but if indeed this is the same Optel Segtronic, I asked the seller about this LCD, and he claimed that the LCD was just "Frozen" and had no further explanations. There is a difference between "Frozen" (leaked/burned-in), and in "Pause" mode with these watches as one scenario is fixable and one is not, but you probably already know this. Broke LCD panel or not, this Optel is quite beautiful, but like always, I could not afford it at all. I sent you a PM as to where to check for a new LCD panel for you Zodiac Optel.

- Patrick

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Mar 2013, 21:31

Thanks Patrick,
Yes, the same one offered recenlty on ebay.
In the picture above, I have it set to display the exact time that is frozen/stuck (5:59) just for a decent picture.
It looks as if maybe it was just left with its original battery battery in it for all these years (Union Carbidide brand) that luckily did not leak. My thoughts are that maybe it was left in pause for so long with a good battery left in it? Anyway, for sure the display shows signs of leakage now, and needs replaced.
Thanks for the contact info for Greg ;-)
I have an Optel Screen I could use from a round Rodania Optel movement I have, but I don't want to ruin a good museum piece to fix another.
Thanks for the help ~:(

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post14 Mar 2013, 03:17

Ok, it's late here, I've had "company over" - so I am a bit baffled by the problem description and assuming I may just be befuddled from having a few Killiens.. You turn the crown clockwise and hold for 4-5 second, turn counter-clockwise for same and nothing happens, correct? Why are you blaming the display? Start at the switch. Then the crystal(dsplay can't change if time stands still). Or am I missing something with this "issue". :oops:

Yes the display looks kind of weak in the picture but I am discounting that as part of the issue since a picture doesn't always tell the story.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Mar 2013, 03:58

The issue:
Has the time (5:59) permanently burnt-like into the screen.
When powered up, you can see enough of the current digits doing its best to display the time through the image. (This watch works perfect, and displays actual time normally through the stuck image).
Picture above shows this watch powered up to the exact time as the burnt-in image 5:59
Confusing yes, but for sure just needs a better working display.
Here it is pictured displaying 7:37 over the 5:59...You can also notice some bleading of the digits 5:59 when viewed up close
ZODIAC.jpg

A new battery is installed, and it keeps great time :mrgreen: I just wish I didn't have to guess what time it is through the mess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post14 Mar 2013, 13:29

send Greg Zanoni an inquiry for a new panel.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Mar 2013, 18:23

azimuth_pl wrote:send Greg Zanoni an inquiry for a new panel.

I contacted Greg, and he has what I need :mrgreen:
Thank you guys for the help :Prost:

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Mar 2013, 07:40

Thanks for the contact info guys :dwf:

Thank you Greg Zanoni :mrgreen:
Before.JPG

After.JPG

Time to Wear.JPG

Fixed.JPG

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Mar 2013, 10:20

Yes,

Thank you Greg Zanoni for your help! To let everyone know right off. Upon replacement of the new "Field Effect" LCD panel, I also wanted to restore my crystal, what I learned is that the crystals for the Optel Segtronics are plastic not mineral glass types. VERY EASILY POLISHED!

P.S. Sorry BENRUS for taking some of the thread. :-D

- Patrick

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post23 Mar 2013, 11:03

Good to see that watch back in shape so it was worth to get in touch with Greg who is always helpful.
Whenever you have any doubt if a crystal is mineral or plastic simply scratch it lightly with a razor and you will see the difference (or not on some types of glass).
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Re: wanted: OPTEL LCD screen (UPDATE: Part found)

Post28 Mar 2013, 12:44

mystery of early LCD display solved....sort of ;)
in any earlier documents, leaflets, manuals and articles I have never come across a direct statement that LCD displays will need to be replaced every few years.
no wonder the Optel construction had a sliding frame for a quick release of the display...on the other hand Microma preferred to use epoxy (not solid but more effort required).
check the below from Popular Science July 1972:

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Mar 2013, 18:18

ARTICLE: every five years you will have to have a jeweler change the display for $10.00?

Actually mine was more expensive, but that is fine, I am happy with it. This answers the question I had though about these Optel Segtronic LCDs. I did speak with Greg, and asked the question of why these Optel LCDs have not survived over the last 35+ yrs.

He said that...It is due to the seal of the 2 pieces of glass. If the seal breaks the liquid becomes contaminated and looses it's properties. The liquid crystal material no longer can bend the light. What you see is 2 crossed polarizers.

Anyway, really neat article on these LCDs. Greg also told me to practice on a broken LCD before trying the new one, as they can break very easily. I did, and was able to change it. Also, I read some where where the reflecting mirrors on these Optel LCDs can be removed or switched. I don't think this is possible as the reflecting mirrors are painted, glued, or sealed onto the back of the LCD panel with a part number stamped on them as well.

- Patrick

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post28 Mar 2013, 19:04

LCD (FE) displays are made in exactly the same manner nowadays so it must have been the epoxy not being able to withstand time or rather the quality of liquid crystals.

the reflective mirror is made of aluminium foil being either silver or golden.
it's just a sticker on the back of the glass that you can remove and apply another.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Mar 2013, 19:39

LCD (FE) displays are made in exactly the same manner nowadays so it must have been the epoxy not being able to withstand time or rather the quality of liquid crystals.

The statement I posted earlier comes from an email straight from Greg himself, and I believe that the key word here is "SEAL." It breaks and then the contamination happens.

the reflective mirror is made of aluminum foil being either silver or golden.
it's just a sticker on the back of the glass that you can remove and apply another.

Got it! This makes since. So I guess the reflecting mirrors are transplantable.

Thanks for the update,

- Patrick

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post28 Mar 2013, 19:58

the mirror is transplantable as long as you can remove a 40 year old sticker without any harm :mega:

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Mar 2013, 08:10

Thanks for posting the Popular Science 1972 page azimuth_pl :mega:
I found this 1976 battery guide from EVEREADY (UNION CARBIDE), and I think I actually found the Zodiac-Optel model number: 1970 , and of course battery size: 303 low-drain (or 357 works).
There are lots of other brands/models listed.
neat stuff
Crooked pics, but best I can offer without scanner ;-)

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post31 Mar 2013, 15:11

Thanks Benrus, it's the content that counts. If only everybody would look around for some old materials we would save a lot of information from the distant past.
Some other Popular Science articles I have added to another DSM thread:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6207&start=44

Return to Watches and Parts Needed