It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:47

Omega 1640 Repair Question

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Clifford

Omega 1640 Repair Question

Post26 Nov 2014, 21:45

Hi All,

I just registered, so nice to meet everyone.

About five years ago, I purchased an Omega Sensorquartz (1640) on ebay for practically nothing, as it was missing two pushers and the module wasn't working. I am now interested in restoring the watch and was able to acquire a new module for the watch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121209785846?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (is what I bought).

I have yet to install the new module, but was wondering if I should purchase a new lcd screen as well? Usually will a new module be enough to get an old digital watch up and running? The current LCD screen doesn't appear to have any damage, but have never tried a repair like this before? I'm assuming a new module is akin to a new movement in a mechanical watch. A new old stock LCD is about 200 USD, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Also, since I doubt I can get exact match pushers, do you think with a micro screwdriver, would I be able to set the watch? Any advice on getting replacement pushers for the watch?

Thanks a lot,

Clifford
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: Omega 1640 Repair Question

Post27 Nov 2014, 04:35

Hi Clifford.
If the LCD panel looks good, there is a very good chance it will be fine. Give it a go. It doesn't take long to assemble the module.
Regarding setting the watch, anything that will fit through the hole to depress the metal contacter will suffice. A toothpick or something might be a bit safer. I don't think new buttons will be readily available. Keep an eye out for a battered Tissot version with 2 intact pushers. They go for a lot less money.

Rgds.

Clifford

Post27 Nov 2014, 05:19

Hi Charger 105,

Thanks a lot for the advise. The current LCD panel looks fine to me, but I am a complete newbie to digital watches. I have some experience changing batteries, removing stems, installing crystals on quartz analog watches...but this will be the first time I work on a digital watch myself. Anything I should be aware of? I'll try to upload pics of the actual movement. Thanks for the heads up on the Tissot version!

--Cliff

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post27 Nov 2014, 09:21

Sorry Clifford, I've just compared the Tissot Pushers to the Omega ones, and they are quite different.
I should've checked before posting :oops:
Maybe you could 3D print them ?

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Nov 2014, 12:34

I was looking at the seller's Ebay photo of your "NOS" circuit board and found myself wondering why it appears to have battery leakage corrosion on three of the traces to the right of the battery well. It may be fine but....

As for the pushers you may well have to make one- I would start by finding a metal pusher that fits the case hole and then making a plastic top (use Delrin) the old fashioned way using files/drill/glue.

Clifford

Post27 Nov 2014, 19:26

Re: Charger105...Thanks for the update on the Tissot....I may have to look into 3d printing. If the movement I purchased works, and the watch can turn on, I'll try to initially set the time with a with a toothpick...then think think of a way to get pushers made.

Re: OldTom....Thank you for the heads up! Now I'm worried about the movement! I should have consulted this site before buying. I'm hoping if it doesn't work, PayPal will have me covered. I have never made my own pushers before....but may give it a try...thanks for the heads up.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches