Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Chronosplit Manhattan help

Post25 Nov 2014, 01:57

Hi all

It's been another long period since my last post.

I took a gamble on a Heuer Chronosplit Manhattan from eBay which turned out to be a complete pup with all smashed wire bonds and no chance of repair. The seller used the old line "may work with new batteries" line

This leaves me only one option to work on developing a module for the Heuer Chronosplit Manhattan. However I want to understand what functions the watch has in terms of how the buttons are used to operate each function, setting instructions timings of the buttons etc.

Would anyone have a copy of the user manual or be prepared to provide a video of the function of each button including setting ?.

Cheers

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Chronosplit Manhattan help

Post26 Nov 2014, 00:16

Hi Neil,
i'll copy and post to your house over the weekend- regards-Gary

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post26 Nov 2014, 00:18

Many thanks Gary.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Nov 2014, 16:41

Sent, you should have tomorrow. I could never resist a digital Heuer, even when you know the chances are the module will be shot :evil:

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post26 Nov 2014, 18:17

Hi Gary.

Many thanks. Another question does colon/dot flash or is it fixed.

Here is mine with smashed wire bonds and added corrosion:

BTW how is the Lap 77 ?

Cheers

Neil

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Nov 2014, 20:42

Hell of a pic :eek: Colon flashes, Lap 77 is fine thanks (touch wood) i wear it regularly too

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Post23 Mar 2015, 22:29

Before I start my update, I would like to thank Gary aka gjlelec for lending me one is his Heuer Chronosplits, without it I would not have been able to accurately program the code to match the functionality of the original.

The good news is I have managed to develop a module. It's been extremely challenging to get the code fully working along with the difficulties of shoehorning a 64 pin micro and lithium power cell into such a small space.

The good thing is the module is capable of driving both the LCD display and the bottom analogue display if needed.

Here are some pics :

The finished article:

Some shots of the my module:

Not only did I have problems with the LCD module the analogue part of the watch would not work. I took it to my trusted local jeweller for a service who forwarded it to Tag Heuer, the Tag Heuer service department said that the movement was too corroded and duly returned it. :cry:

I have never serviced a analogue watch before however I had nothing to lose so I bought some decent jewellers tools and had a go. I took lots of close up pictures and used a stereo microscope to reveal lots of corrosion, however I managed to painstakingly clean it up. It now works using all the original parts.

ImageImage

Here is a little video of one of the prototypes driving both LCD and an old analogue (Lavet type) analogue watch, sorry Next !.

Thanks for looking and BTW if you are interested in a module please PM me but I will say that I am still testing battery life and reliability currently.

Once I am happy I will upload more detail onto my Rawsar website sometime in the near future.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post25 Mar 2015, 09:57

Impressive stuff and great restoration. They needed a donor or remake....still on my wishlist :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

nick0123

Techie

Techie

Post25 Mar 2015, 12:38

Wow. Just wow.

That is about the most awesome repair/repro I've ever seen. Nice work !!

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Mar 2015, 12:59

Very, very impressive
I owned a few manhattan's and the digital movement is always a problem (almost always)
I replacement circuit board is a fantastic development to all Heuer collectors
Thanks a lot

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches