Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

bonki46

Nerd

Nerd

CompuChron GREEN Led watch.

Post07 May 2015, 21:23

Hello Members,
I received a lot Led watches with amoug them a CompuChron Green Led watch ( pretty bad state ).
I Cleaned up the module and get it working ok.
But the green display is a bit dimm, only the dot is Hell. ( see pics ).
I know that these red led SANYO modules have a dimm funtion on it.

So who can tell me that my module is missing the dimm or not.
Who can also tell me how to remove the crystal out of the case without breaking it in pieces ?
I will put the crystal in a new case I have in the collection.

Hoping for any positive reaction from you, greetings from the Netherlands.
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: CompuChron GREEN Led watch.

Post12 May 2015, 20:20

The reason is that the green displays consume quite a lot of power (and typically need a higher voltage compared to the red ones). The transistors on the custom chip of the Sanyo modules are too weak to drive the green displays. You can use a SASM30 module instead as the new microcontroller outputs can handle higher currents. On the other side I cannot recommend to destroy a working green module. But that would be an option if you have a broken greenie as spare.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post12 May 2015, 21:44

I also have the greenie and sometimes i have had a "weak" display with some types of batteries or when they are too old. Usually with new quality batteries the display is much brighter, but i sometimes even had quality batteries that were supposed to be new and were a bit weak. then i got some other ones (Renata are good when they are fresh!) and its much better. The crystal is glued into the case, by heating it VERY VERY VERY carefully you can loosen then glue, just don't apply too much heat or the compuchron lettering will melt. if you really overdo it maybe even the glass can crack.

bonki46

Nerd

Nerd

Post14 May 2015, 13:26

Thanks for your reactions.

I read at the forum in 2013 there was an item about the compuchron dim problem and the solution was advised to solder a 1K SMD resistor in place of the sensor cell.
Is it possible that this works on the green led module ?

Who know the answer.

Thanks,
Fred

bonki46

Nerd

Nerd

Post19 May 2015, 14:28

Hello Members,
I have not got a right answer on my question about the dim problem of my Green Led CompuChron.
Is there anyone who can tell me the solution.

Removing the green crystal is a bit of an problem because it seems to be glued with a super glue, it will not come loose in boiled water.
Maybe I can use a solvent such as, thinner or acetone ???

The red crystal from the compuChron came loose after heating for a few mitutes, in boiled water without problems.

Thanks, Fred

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post20 May 2015, 22:16

bonki46 wrote:Hello Members,
I have not got a right answer on my question about the dim problem of my Green Led CompuChron.
Is there anyone who can tell me the solution.

Removing the green crystal is a bit of an problem because it seems to be glued with a super glue, it will not come loose in boiled water.
Maybe I can use a solvent such as, thinner or acetone ???

The red crystal from the compuChron came loose after heating for a few mitutes, in boiled water without problems.

Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred :Hi: I am far from being an expert more of a :fool: really .BUT
It looks like yours has no LDR (light dependent resistor) see here : viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7796

You will see the ldr on my red one circled in black. Yours has nothing in it's place so unless the greenie has a special one
hiding somewhere (which I doubt) Top quality batteries seem to be the order of the day.
:Prost: Pete
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

bonki46

Nerd

Nerd

Post21 May 2015, 16:16

Thanks Jagmad,
I know there is no JDR but from earlear DWF posts, I read that the green one hasn''t because of the higer energy consumption the display is allways in the dimm modus.
The said in this post that soldering a 1K SMD resistor in place, the display will shown in full light modus, but that was for a RED module.

I want to know if that is the same for the GREEN module, I have ordered some resistors.

Thanks for reacting.

Fred

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post21 May 2015, 19:21

bonki46 wrote:Thanks Jagmad,
I know there is no JDR but from earlear DWF posts, I read that the green one hasn''t because of the higer energy consumption the display is allways in the dimm modus.
The said in this post that soldering a 1K SMD resistor in place, the display will shown in full light modus, but that was for a RED module.

I want to know if that is the same for the GREEN module, I have ordered some resistors.

Thanks for reacting.

Fred

I'm not sure but adding a resistance will only make it dimmer, I would have thought. :scratch:
Without one to check myself I would only be guessing..
Although having said that there seems to be nothing making any connection at all across the two pads so who knows. :?: :?:
Good luck......
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches