Module question for Fitron

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Module question for Fitron

Post29 May 2006, 12:28

Does anyone know what type of module a fitron takes ? It's identical to this one. I ask as I have a spare watch and secretly I'm hoping that I can buy a beaten wreck of some no name on ebay and insert it into a lovely case. Thats as far as I would ever dare to go when it comes to repairing watches. I know my limits :(

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/fitron.htm

PS it's not for resale, I'm not and never will be a dealer.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Module question for Fitron

Post30 May 2006, 14:58

There are a lot of modules that would fit the Fitron - pop off the case back and determine whether the case bore is 29mm(common men's swize) or a rarer 25mm...below that size is generally woman's or special use. Any Hughes,Nathional Semicoductor,etc. module with a pusher at 1 oclock and a setter at 3 oclock should be fine; although, you may need to find/modify the arrangment for the batteries contacting the case back. Remember the case back is part of the circuit, tapping the batteries at the midpoint(1.5v). :cry: Finding a 25 mm module in that pattern is very rare.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 May 2006, 20:18

Thanks for clearing that up, I may be totally ignorant about LED's but I'm getting there. (lesson 1: know not to mess with them, leave it to those who know....). It's a 29mm so that makes life easier.
Is the case back always part of the circuit, I thought I'd seen some modules that seemed to have clips attached to them by a screw. That would imply that the back isn't necessary to complete the circuit in that ..... case. :roll:
Having said that, I bought this watch knowing full well that the back cover was missing the battery connector. Can something as crude as tinfoil do or is that dangerous and daft. I ask because for about 6 years the fusebox on my Triumph Spitfire was only working thanks to a carefully placed piece of tinfoil. That got me around Ireland very successfully.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post30 May 2006, 23:46

F.F.: even the ones with the screwed down clip generally have a "tongue" of metal that flares upward to contact the case back. Sometimes it doesn't because it it bent, sometimes it is broken off. Generally only exceptions are modules where both batteries face down(Litronix,etc.)...there are also a few odd ones that have a contact on the side of the module that contacts the case, just not the case back directly.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 May 2006, 11:49

Ah this explains much. The inside of the watch back has no tongue so I guess I can replace this (one thing I can do well is weld). However, would solder do as a fixing agent ? Also, any recommend metals, or any as long as their conductive and that the tongue touches both batteries firmly ?

Again, thanks for the input.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post31 May 2006, 18:02

Solder or silver epoxy work fine, welding would make a bit of a mess. Copper coated spring steel works great.......I discovered a great little Chinese made toy car at a local store for $.99, that has two LEDs that light up when you press the hood - they have a delightful array of copper coated steel strips in them, and a nice #357 battery to boot! Old computer gear, old LCD watche(great for contact springs) and other "electronica" are all good sources for better quality contact metals. Try making yourself a "M" shape if you are hoping to screw it down to the module chassis between the batteries. Or find two nice springs and silver epoxy them to the lid in the right spot. Tinfoil,having no springiness, won't maintain contact well

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Jun 2006, 11:44

I wasn't thinking of either arc or mig welding...the mind boggles at that. Tig was more what I had in mind but soldering is simpler and a kitchen table operation. Nice idea with the toy car btw, my sons hot wheels have something very similar to what you've said, but I'll buy my own to avoid the tears. I also think I've got a whole bunch of copper sheet in the cellar. I may have a root around this weekend for it.

All I need now is a doner watch, phasar 2000 for about $41 perhaps .....? :wink:

Thanks again for your advice, it's very much appreciated and I'll meet you (again) on the battlefield that is ebay.

Best wishes and happy bidding!

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches