• Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Scared of my jeweller

Post28 Jun 2006, 16:43

I have just received one of these today :D

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/bulova3.htm

Gold plate of course! However I took it to the jewellers to have the band resized for my slim wrist and we got chatting about the watch. I asked him about removing the back for battery replacement for future reference, suggesting that a special wrench of some sort must be used.

He replied

"No, no, I just use pliers"

:shock:

Now there is no way I am letting any plumbing tools get near my watch so can anyone let me know if there is a wrench a la pulsars but for bulovas or is it just an ordinary watch removing wrench 'cos I'll do it myself!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Scared of my jeweller

Post28 Jun 2006, 22:21

Standard $10 watch crab is all you need.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jun 2006, 22:42

Yet again 1up, thanks. :lol:

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Jun 2006, 22:52

I?m losing my edge!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2006, 03:19

Those three prong wrenchs are nice(have one), but for 99% of the cases, this is the $5.69 solution
http://cgi.ebay.com/Watch-Crab-Tool-cas ... dZViewItem like $1.99 US...the kind of thing you can carry in your pocket when at a flea market and you can usually get someone to let you pop the back on a mystery piece that ain't working, before you buy.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Jun 2006, 09:19

Thanks for the help everyone. I'd already ordered the 3 prong one from ebay by the time I'd come back this morning! As for the smaller one for flea markets.....I wish. I said recently in another post that I've only ever come across 3 leds in 10 years of visiting them, they are rarer than hens teeth in scotland...it may be the wet autumns, winters or springs, or possibly the damp summers that kills them off but there's only ever lcd's for sale. I spoke to one regular watch dealer last week at one car boot sale and he said he's sold ever only 2 and that was over 6 months ago. Maybe I should start collecting scratched lcd's then I'd have so much more choice :)

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2006, 14:58

Or even better, you can use one of the Pulsar wrenches that Barbie 9 auctions. The second largest size (for the Executive, etc) ALMOST fits it exactly. It's not suitable if the back plate is over tightened, however. I always use this wrench for the LED Accuquartz watches.

BTW, isn't this in the wrong group?

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2006, 15:29

MJ's right...but then again, it's mainly vintage watches that have screw-on backs...new watches are snap-on or a few phillips screws.LOL 8)

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Jul 2006, 12:58

I think having the right tools for the job, are the key to avoiding costly accidents, However, if it's a simple screw back, I first try a simple friction based technique.

I put a small, scrunched up wad of masking tape on the case back, press the watch case between the 'heels' of my palms, and gently twist each each hand in opposite directions (just like when you open a jar). Works on most cases (but not locking ring ones), and eliminates any risk of scraching the watch from a slipping wrench.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches