Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Battery for Hamilton Quartz TL?

Post30 Jan 2013, 22:30

Hi,

I recently came across several hamilton quartz TL / TL Alarm LCD watches, with a battery that I haven't seen before.

It's marked as a Hamilton TR LI CR 23P - 15. It looks like a 3v lithium cell battery, however it has a strange pin on the other side of the battery that protrudes.

Any ideas on a replacement battery?

Thanks

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Battery for Hamilton Quartz TL?

Post31 Jan 2013, 17:26

Hello,
Welcome to the forum!
I use a 3v "2016" size battery in my TLQ, and it works just fine.
tlq.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post31 Jan 2013, 17:40

Hi

Thanks for the tip, I will try that out.

Nice watch btw.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post31 Jan 2013, 21:16

I tried the "2016" however it doesn't appear to work with my case.

I can hold my finger on the back of the battery which seems to light the display, however it is smaller in diameter than the other battery and appears thinner as well. When I place the case back on - doesn't seem to be making contact.

Did you do any tricks with your watch to make it work?

On the old battery the "pin" on the back is actually a negative, the rest of the battery (Top and Bottom) is postive. Just the pin on the bottom is negative.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Jan 2013, 22:46

Look just behind that little plastic tab that needs bent back, or removed...You should see a tiny positive side contact that makes just enough contact with rim of the battery to make it work (Tabs that would of held in the old style battery).
I used nail clippers to snip just enough of that tab to make room for the battery to lay flat when back is applied. Be careful not to damage small tiny contact in the removal of this tab.
I'm not sure if this would work on the alarm version. Do you have any pictures to share?
There is no light to light up on this model, The backlight was powered by Tritium.
Are your saying the display isn't that crisp, or clear when its powered up?
Hope this helps ;-)

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post31 Jan 2013, 23:47

Thanks -

I'll post a few pictures so you can see what I have.

I also have a few other models which I will try tonight and post the results including the alarm version.

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post07 Feb 2013, 05:58

Hi Benrus,
Thank you for the tip.
I will look for my old Hamitons to try it.
I looked for some reference on that battery (the original Hamilton TR LI CR 23P - 15) and I could never find any information about it :eek:
Guess what?! I'm saved!! :-D
The impossible is only a point of view!

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post07 Feb 2013, 21:53

I'm still tinkering with the battery for the Hamilton LCD.

I found this link to battery sizes and it appears to be very handy since it lists the sizes of all the batteries. Thought I would pass it along.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ba ... ture_cells

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Feb 2013, 22:17

Could you show us a picture of the battery, s_elias ?
I'm very curious about the "strange pin" you are talking about.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post09 Feb 2013, 03:44

Here's a few photos of the original battery next to a 2320 "standard" battery that I'm going to try to use.

The old battery is 23 mm x 1.5 mm. The new battery is 23 mm x 2 mm

As indicated in the above thread, you can see a "ledge" on the original battery that slips under the blue tabs in two locations on the "left side" of the picture.

Of course there's that pesky (negative) tab on the back of the original battery as well.

As mentioned above - I'm going to attempt to nibble the blue tabs off so the new battery makes better positive contact on the sides, and lift the tab on the bottom hoping it makes better contact on the bottom of the new battery.

I have a new tool for this - my xacto retractable pen knife blade.

IMG_2390 (Large).JPG

IMG_2391 (Large).JPG

IMG_2392 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Feb 2013, 13:21

Now i see why a normal 2320 (or similar) battery will not work, it's the strangest battery i have seen ,and nowhere to be found for sure.
I'm afraid you will have to do some rebuilding on your watch in order to fit a normal battery, as you already mentioned.

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Feb 2013, 13:31

Another issue, is it a 3 volt battery like the lithium cells, or another voltage?, that is not stated on the old cell.
But it does work well when a lithium cell is inserted?

bonki46

Nerd

Nerd

Post09 Feb 2013, 16:21

P2090013.JPG
Hi,
I have a copple of these Hamiltons and I replaced this battery for a 3 volt litihium battery ( Camelion CR2320.)
The only thing you have to do is to adjust the pusher contact with a tiny strip ( copper ) and make sure it contacts the positive side of the Battery.

I put a picture of my Hamilton

Goodluck, Fred

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post09 Feb 2013, 23:57

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the tips. It seems it wants to work, but it's a little erratic in the display and setting time etc...

I did the "clipping" of the blue tabs. When you mentioned the adjustments, can you upload a photo of that?

Where are you putting the strip? Is that it on the battery along the top to make better contact with the side where the blue tab use to be?

To answer the other questions - yes it is a 3v battery marked on the front side. I had a picture but can only upload 3 photos at a time into the thread.

Hey Fred - any idea on how to work on the kensten metal mesh band on these watches? I would like remove it for case cleaning and band cleaning.

It looks like it has the clip on it - bent over, however I'm not sure how to remove the band? It seems if you have to bend that clip back and forth it would cause too much metal stress and snap.

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post07 Mar 2013, 06:29

Hi Fred,
Thank you so much.
It worked!!! I put two pieces of aluminum foil (one on the recessed contact for the negative and the second one on the side to the positive) to try and tab dahhhhh :grin1:
Hamilton LCD LowRes.jpg

On the left is the final piece laying on its bed (box, papers, etc etc) and on the right when I was trying the new "adaptation" :O`~
To tell you the truth the hard part was to find this watch (I had it "saved" somewhere). I found it this weekend looking for a LCD display thru some old drawers :scratch:
Oh, well "It's ALIIIVEEEEEE" :ha:
Thanks again :-D

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post07 Mar 2013, 19:15

I will have to try the alum foil trick. Thanks for sharing

Did you doing anything else to make it work (adjust the pushers, like Fred suggested)?

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post08 Mar 2013, 04:54

Hi Elias,
I just put a piece of aluminum foil on the side contact to make easier connection to the positive side of the battery and I wrap the little contact for the negative (the one on the bottom) with some more aluminum foil to make it more prominent and get better connection to the battery (careful doing it, there is many open contacts around that I believe goes to the positive; make sure to don't let the foil move around). It should work right away or at least this is how it worked for me. No more changes were necessary. Btw the battery I used was a Camelion CR2320 but it fitted a little bit too tight in my opinion :scratch:

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Mar 2013, 17:14

I use a "2016" size battery which has the right thickness for the back to screw down tight, and because the battery is thinner it fits right in place without "foil" adjustments. It tucks right in place with small snips made to remove the blue tabs that allow contact for the positive battery edge.
I know for sure that this works with my watch pictured above, and its been working great since battery replacement.
I still don't know if this is the same result for the alarm version (if anyone trys a new battery in the alarm model, please post the results).
The "2320" battery is too thick. You may get results of this battery working, but I imagine its closer to damaging your watch for good if back is screwed on too tight, or wrong. The 2320 battery is closer thickness to the original battery, but is a half MM too thick.
Best regards!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post08 Mar 2013, 21:29

BENRUS wrote: The 2320 battery is closer thickness to the original battery, but is a half MM too thick.
Best regards!
Actually, it is 1.6mm too thick. The system for lithium sizes is width in mm for first 2 digits, thickness with one decimal place for thickness. A 2025 is 20mm x 2.5mm. You dithered between diameters, which made this a bit confusing(not for me, but potentially for others). A 23 series battery won't drop in a hole made for a 20.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post08 Mar 2013, 21:37

Doesn't the 2016 have a smaller diameter as well compared to the 2320?

I believe the original is 23-15 (23 mm across and 1.5mm thick)

Most of us have clipped the tabs already, so I'm thinking to do this and hold the battery in place?

I'm going to try placing double sided sticky tape underneath the battery. Expose enough tape so the negative tab touches the battery underneath.

Once the case is screwed down, does that pressure keep the battery in place? I guess so, the sticky tape should keep the battery so it's held against the side of the case.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post08 Mar 2013, 22:37

s_elias wrote:Doesn't the 2016 have a smaller diameter as well compared to the 2320?

I believe the original is 23-15 (23 mm across and 1.5mm thick)
Per my explanation above, yes a 20 16 has a 20mm diameter. A 2320 has a 23mm diameter. If the diameter is 23(a ruler would be called for maybe) :) then work on your thickness issues. A 2315 would only be 0.10mm thinner. 1.5mm vs.1.6mm.

Egadds!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Mar 2013, 23:11

Thank you Ed for the correct battery sizing information.
I stated in my first post what battery I use to make the watch work :-?
If size 2016 battery don't work with removed tabs, maybe there is another reason the 30+ year old watch don't work???
I'm sticking to what works :fool:
Just trying to help ;-)
Next

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches