Sanyo ultra-thin

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Sanyo ultra-thin

Post21 Sep 2013, 15:38

As well as primarily collecting leds, i have always liked the "delirium" range of ultra thin quartz analogue watches. The true ultra thins (less than 2mm thick) were hugely expensive when new, 18ct gold and so thin they couldn't incorporate a winder, the hands being altered by a backplate mounted pusher. My ultra-thin interests also spilled into lcds too, i've always loved the Bulova Phantom . A few years back, i purchased a non working Sanyo, really rough, posted a pic of it on the now defunct DWF.cc and was fortunate enough to get a reply from the actual watch designer that worked for Sanyo in the 80s. I know that Hanno had discussions with Geoff Jones (owner of .cc) about potentially morphing the two sites. It seems such a shame this didn't materialize considering some of the fantastic Pulsar and Heuer stuff that was contained within .cc
Anyway, i've managed to find another Sanyo , fully working. These must surely be as thin as a Phantom (looks to be under 3mm)

Various quartz ultrathins from the 80s

Next to a Pound coin

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Sanyo ultra-thin

Post21 Sep 2013, 15:57

That is a beautiful watch, I love the design
Thanks for sharing

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Sep 2013, 18:11

Waauw, it must be as thin as the bracelet :eek: I also love your collection, very cool!

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2013, 20:44

Wow that's painful to see all those incredible pictures here instead of the real thing in my own watch cabinet :-D ,(I don't know if that sentence was good English...I wished all those gems were sitting in my watch cabinet:)), please would love to see detailed shots of all those gems. (The quartz watches in the first picture)
You know I'm also a thin watch addept.
That Sanyo is like paper.... :O`~ :dwf:

Thanks for posting these gems.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Sep 2013, 22:47

I wont fill the lcd section up with analogues lol but here is my latest ultra thin acquisition, an Eterna.This model is called the "Espada"
The strangest ultra-thin i own and by far the most valuable is the almost mythically rare " The After Eight" led. I've never seen another

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2013, 23:01

I like your style of humour :-D , you had to sent it in at our watch competition last year. Timing is everything in that shot :-D

I never knew these thin analogue watches existed, except a few... You opened another new world for me... Time to learn again and start hunting. I just love them.

Btw we have also a analogue part to post on the board so pics are always welcome.

Btw look here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-CONCORD- ... 1110075215
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2013, 23:42

I wondered if a member had won that Sanyo, I watched it go off on eBay, was tempted but unsure of the value so let it go, glad to see a member and enthusiast won it :mega:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2013, 23:45

P.S. it's a shame they didn't design a slim clasp for the bracelet, the clasp looks at least twice as thick as the watch! :scratch:

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Sep 2013, 00:07

There is a subtle difference to the Concord pic you posted to what i consider the true ultra-thins.Though Concord did manufacture ultra-thins, that Concord has a winder, its about 3mm thick, not under the magic 2mm. I also have that watch in my first pic with 18k bracelet.
The Omega Magique i also dont consider a true ultra thin (2.5mm) Thin watches yes but not ultra-thin. The ultra-thin race was eventually won by Concord when they made a Delirium under 1mm thick (actually unwearable). Omega also jumped in with the "Dinosaure" range (1.48mm) extremely rare and expensive now though there has been one on ebay for about a year at £8K i think

Tiffany pedal the Concord ultrathins in the 80s. Concord are still the most common ultra-thin seen

Then it gets crazy, a watch under 1mm thick !!

Omega Dinosaure range- note the transparent version- all versions 1.48mm

My La Magique (again,transparent dial)- thin but not ultra-thin

Mega expensive blinged up Magique,

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2013, 23:25

gjlelec wrote:...................I know that Hanno had discussions with Geoff Jones (owner of .cc) about potentially morphing the two sites. It seems such a shame this didn't materialize considering some of the fantastic Pulsar and Heuer stuff that was contained within .cc

I don't know if it would still be possible to morph the info from .cc onto here but it would be great if it could be done, it seems criminal to loose all the info that was contained on the .cc for ever.

PYau

Post02 Jan 2014, 18:43

After 28 years after Sanyo PM2000 launched in 1986, there is breakthrough in technology, digital watch LCD does not necessary to be glass material anymore (which was one of the limiting factors for thickness reduction, battery is another).
http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/techn ... 13441.html
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
World's thinnest watch: CST-01 sets world record (VIDEO)

CHICAGO, USA -- The CST-01 watch, made by the Chicago-based firm Central Standard Timing, is thinner than a credit card - just 0.8mm thick - and shows the time on an electronic ink display; the world's thinnest watch has a 0.5mm flexible electronic component built-in and a Thinergy Micro-Energy Cell battery that can be charged in 10 minutes and has a lifetime of 15 years, setting the world record for the thinnest watch, according to the World Record Academy: http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/[/i]

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Jan 2014, 21:06

gjlelec wrote:There is a subtle difference to the Concord pic you posted to what i consider the true ultra-thins.Though Concord did manufacture ultra-thins, that Concord has a winder, its about 3mm thick, not under the magic 2mm. I also have that watch in my first pic with 18k bracelet.
The Omega Magique i also dont consider a true ultra thin (2.5mm) Thin watches yes but not ultra-thin. The ultra-thin race was eventually won by Concord when they made a Delirium under 1mm thick (actually unwearable). Omega also jumped in with the "Dinosaure" range (1.48mm) extremely rare and expensive now though there has been one on ebay for about a year at £8K i think

Tiffany pedal the Concord ultrathins in the 80s. Concord are still the most common ultra-thin seen

Then it gets crazy, a watch under 1mm thick !!

Omega Dinosaure range- note the transparent version- all versions 1.48mm

My La Magique (again,transparent dial)- thin but not ultra-thin

Mega expensive blinged up Magique,

Nice collection gjlelec :mega:
I'm very curious how that transparent watch works :eek:
I would assume that it's an lcd panel ?

PYau

Post02 Jan 2014, 21:22

The answer is to use satellite gear to drive 2 transparent discs.

http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-677/pi-2224577/ti-363927/t-/

The magic or mystery hands:
The use of classic hands was impossible because the central tourbillon occupies the place where hands are normally fixed. The solution was 'hands' that are etched on sapphire discs. In 1980, the "Dinosaure" watch (cal.1355), an ultra-slim analogue quartz model (1.48 mm) was introduced with the movement integrated in the case back and a transparent dial on which the hands appeared to float.
[PuristS' Trivia] Prototypes and some collectors' pieces were even thinner at 1.35 mm but the movements kept breaking during testing.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post03 Jan 2014, 11:31

thanks for sharing this information...we have to keep an eye on that one.

Welcome to the board from all us mods :dwf: "willkommen"

- Kasper -

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Jan 2014, 13:10

Hello gjlelec!
Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing.
I wasn´t aware of these watches and they look extremely nice. As for merging the forums I am still very interested. I just don´t know how to get in contact with Geoff Jones.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jan 2014, 17:05

Pyau, that CST-01 watch is amazing, an ultra-thin geek dream. I've pre-ordered
Some of the original ultra thins in my pics were designed to take Renata 333 batteries.These were only 1mm thick but a strange 2 volts.Renata, the only manufacturer of this size battery, discontinued them in dec 2008 (they were 35 euros each at that time) the nearest battery as far as i'm aware is the Renata 339, 0.4mm thicker and the standard 1.5v, i have tried one in my Sarcar with no apparent problems
(Hanno-pm sent)

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jan 2014, 15:35

I've always wanted a magique, but unfortunately they are ridiculous expensive and cost more than my car, so I will probably never have one. Shame as i like the concept with the transparent dial, very sexy!

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Jan 2014, 18:42

Probably more expensive to service than Your car too Fronz. When i sent the one in the pic back to Omega because it was randomly stopping, they charged £1800 to fix it ,Omega are having a laugh imo.The other draw back to La Magique is if you drop it, the mega thin sapphire glass discs shatter.Omega no longer have them as spares.I have a non working spare Magique that i keep JUST for the discs

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jan 2014, 17:55

gjlelec wrote:Probably more expensive to service than Your car too Fronz. When i sent the one in the pic back to Omega because it was randomly stopping, they charged £1800 to fix it ,Omega are having a laugh imo.The other draw back to La Magique is if you drop it, the mega thin sapphire glass discs shatter.Omega no longer have them as spares.I have a non working spare Magique that i keep JUST for the discs

Indeed quite a lot. Since it was 1800 pounds for "randomly stopping" my guess is that they just greased the cog wheels a bit and that's it. Although i don't have one i have been collecting pictures from all over the web and it is a pretty simple watch from the inside if ya look at it.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jan 2014, 18:04

maybe you should try my trainwatch...12$ :-D almost same technique, cheaper :-D

- Kasper -

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post23 Dec 2014, 23:51

Reviving the analog craziness. Since it's x-mas and i had a big tax payback this year i decided I'd spend a bit of it in a gamble and bought Two Omega magique. One for 1500 USD is a normal gold/leather model that optically looks just like new and seems to come with box, warranty card and hopefully instruction manual (was hard to make out in the pic. Obviously I am crossing thumbs that it only need a new battery.

According to my info only 904 Magique were made in total, 643 in caliber 1356 and 261 in caliber 1357. Well i guess now i bought nearly one percent of the total production of caliber 1357 since both my watches are that caliber. I wonder what the difference is, reference says 1357 was "a slight electronic improvement", whatever that means.

The other one is one of the exceptionally rare pendant watch Magique. Actually a pendant/desk (a VERY small desk???) version since you can fold out the frame so it will stand on a desk or nightstand table... I have only even seen one photo from an auction (not ebay) years ago and i got this one in a pretty beaten up condition ("for repair") for "just" 999 USD.

The pendant watch puzzles me. Personally i believe only a handfull of these were ever made, maybe a dozen at best regarding the considerably big amout of "wristwatch" caliber 1357...

The only info ever passed on from the Omega museum regarding that model is this:

1) Bow/stand : probably a separate item because our Museum legends don't mention it always, only for one piece we own whose description you will find hereafter : OMEGA "Magique" with support stand, 1983: Calibre 1357, delicate transparent version (2.6 mm) derived from the "Dinosaur"; sapphire crys¬tal and back, 18 k gold case with bow, hinged support stand on back transforms the watch into a tiny table clock. (BA 191.8526)

Yeah obviously i hope to get both of them working again, then that would have been a super bargain. But even "for parts" i think they are already worth the bucks.

And as if i weren't already shelling out too much money i also bought a Wittnauer Polara that has been decorate with real gold nuggets from Hawaii. Bliiiing! But yeah the gold nugget wittnauer ain't really thin. Actually pretty much the opposite.

Oh for my excuse - i also bought a DSM (Yeah!) but not a watch, a calculator. Actually an Elsi-Mate EL-8009. Well not a normal one but one in a case made by Tiffany & Co from solid sterling silver. Ah yeah, bliiiing!

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Dec 2014, 00:53

Was this yours Fronz ?? German auction

Next

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches