An obscure Microma project ...

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

An obscure Microma project ...

Post07 Feb 2015, 01:12

This week I received a lot of 7 LCD watches I bought basically for a Nos Mondaine amongst them and a Citizen movement (its display)
After receiving it (always feeling like the kid with the candy box when opening the box..) I ran through the watches, examined their movements and made a quick selection.

The star of this topic was judged and put aside;
An unknown brand to me, a destroyed movement (both - connectors completely gone due to battery acid)and a not so attractive case design (chromed brass, stainless steel case back, outdated model)
Also, the movement reminded me of the very early cheaper Hong Kong movements of the 70's (interesting though with their porcelain circuits, but poorly build and a vulnerable case design), like this one:

I put in two too big chinese crap 'test' batteries for the pictures. If any of you guys can say something about this movement, please do so. I think its '74/'75 Hong Kong made (case back states 'Hong Kong' amongst other usual info)

I started working on the other watches, but this watch was still in my mind, mainly because of the crystal-with-lightning symbol on the dial which I like a lot..

Ok, lets have another look I thought, maybe its worth restoring after all
When I had another, closer, look at the movement I realized that it reminded me of a Microma movement I used to own: CLICK

Yep, a Microma.
This made it more interesting all in a sudden, so I decided to give it a go.

As mentioned before, both - connectors were gone. I removed what was destroyed (one completely, one partly) and made two new ones out of solid brass plate (0,5mm). As solid brass is a bit soft I glued a small piece of rubber just below the contact point with the battery to keep them in place and secure a good contact with the battery. I soldered both parts to the movement which went very well (this wont work without a professional soldering station, microscope, several cleaning equipment to remove the original soldering, a flux pen etc etc. Don't start without good tools, it will ruin your movements). I re-soldered the light wire to the new - connector and the first part of restoration was finished:

The crystal was pretty bad. That is, its top polarizing filter was severely scratched (the watch had obviously been tinkered with before). I took the descision to use the bolder method: grinding with grain 2500, then 'polishing' it (leaving it with a matted surface, but considerably less scratched

After grinding but before the polishing

The movement has a pretty uncomfortable way of attaching the crystal. Being as careful as possible I ended up cracking a small part of the crystal (upper left side), fortunately being the upside, not affecting the contact points to the circuit on its lower part ...

As some digits tended to disappear due to lack of pressure to the circuit, I put a small piece of rubber on the crystal retainer (below '9' in the picture) to give some extra pressure by the dial when the case back is applied

The Egosta dial obviously hasn't been original to this movement. Both dial pins don't line up with the movement.
Actually I believe this case and movement were original Microma, but ended up with another dial. Share your thought on this!
I removed the pins (what was left of it, a previous owner already tried to remove some of it ) with the Dremel tool and attached the dial with some sticky dial pads to keep it in place:

Note this fantastic logo with the crystal and lightning bolt! Maybe I will print that on a Tshirt this summer! ;)

Then, finally the finished watch. Its running fine with a working light bulb (this movement has a separate battery/circuit especially for the light bulb, interesting)
The Egosta/Microma:

I am wondering. The first DSM watches (Nepro etc) were produced in 1972. Seiko produced its first 6 digit LCD in 1973.
Nevertheless, at the same time I am reading that :

The First LCD Watch

Around the same time that Roger Moore was checking his Pulsar for the precise time, engineers were producing a new low-powered LCD chip that extended watch battery life by leaps and bounds. This effort made way for the watchmaking industry’s first LCD watch, which was the Microma. Interestingly, Microma was a subsidiary of the Intel Corporation. Intel acquired Microma in 1972. In 1974, after creating the perfect chip that would perpetually display the correct time, the Intel Corporation learned that success in the watch industry heavily depended on marketing. They made one television commercial that cost the company a whopping $600,000. When the Microma failed as a consumer product, Intel swore off anything to do with marketing to consumers. Intel’s former CEO, Andy Grove, wore the Microma to remind himself to never get into the consumer products business again. He called the watch his 15 million dollar watch, which revealed how much money Intel lost on the Microma. Whenever someone would approach him with an idea that would require marketing directly to consumers, Andy would look at his watch before turning them away.

The World's First LCD Watch
The Microma: The World’s First LCD Wrist Watch

The Intel Corporation made a wise move. LCD watches were about to go from a retail price of $200.00 to less than $20.00. The low price was attributable to the advent of a new watch made by a Japanese company known as Casio. Casio was widely known for their Casio Mini, which was a small calculator. Previously, calculators were only seen in office environments, and they were huge. Casio produced small, portable calculators, and they were a big hit with consumers. Casio got into the watch business in November, 1974; they produced large quantities of watches, which drove down the price of digital watches.

Source: CLICK

Actually it is readable in a few sources when googling.

This is not the first field effect LCD watch for sure, but why do these sources say so? It makes me wonder

Thanks for watching guys. Its been a fun project, and very rewarding after all, I like the watch, it grew on me during the work.
I believe this Microma movement is manufactured in 1974 due to the info found online. Am I correct?

All additional info is welcome, Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: An obscure Microma project ...

Post07 Feb 2015, 10:38

Really great work and a interesting read first thing in the morning with a cup of tea. I think maybe 1975 as it very similar to the Microma in that years catalogue. Also there is a 5 on the front of the carrier.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Feb 2015, 16:00

in the third picture, did you solder the resistor ( with coloured bands ) on - what was your reason behind the installation for this part ?

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Feb 2015, 20:49

Thanks for your input Adam, may 1975 sounds fair if its a time stamp. The case back shows a serial number starting with four and I thought the movement was first produced before 1975, so I was hoping for 1974. Do you have a 1974 catalog maybe with the similar movement showing?

The resistor shown in the picture is an original part of the movement. The lower part battery compartment fuels the watches IC and display, the upper battery compartment is mainly for fueling the light bulb (light doesn't work without that battery and the movement is fully functional with the lower battery installed). Even though the upper parts + connector is linked to the trimmer .. I replaced the upper - connectors completely welding it to the circuit board. The lower - connector (fueling the movement) was partly intact; I welded a strip on the intact part.
It has puzzled me too, I cant figure out what its exact function is. The resistor is leading to a spot very close to the IC on the other side though. I should have made a picture, but I didn't, would have been interesting to show.

Here is a wrist shot of the watch:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Feb 2015, 21:41

wow..the Egosta is incrdible nice. so pure vintage :-D Great job restoring.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2015, 00:01

Actually the batteries are Japanese. At least the characters are Japanese Katakana and read "Botan Seru" (Button Cell). Nice watch btw. Really like this old fashioned display.

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Feb 2015, 21:10

Japanese .. interesting, thanks! I bought these in a strip of 40 pieces for 2 euro's, I usually automatically label that stuff 'made in China'
Its a really interesting display. I am always interested in the font styles used in old LCD's, particularly liking the early Citizen font style(s).
This Microma has a unique font I have never seen anywhere; I love small curve in the vertical lower left digits of the numbers

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post09 Feb 2015, 19:40

I have the original Microma badged variant of this watch and will post a photo when I get back home (currently traveling). Thanks for sharing your restoration work, very insightful

Here's a link to a 1975 catalogue for reference
http://www.davidsarnoff.org/gallery-lc/Microma_1975_foldout_4_lower_back.html
Last edited by wzy-hman on 11 Feb 2015, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Feb 2015, 20:11

It may well be 1974. Unless we have all the catalogues we'll never know, that's half the fun. I have that model in a Microma and I dont think it has the resistor so maybe its an early incarnation. And you're right the serial number is also a good indication. Maybe we can agree case 1974 and module 1975 :grin1: . I dont ever remember seeing the model with the extremely cool orange volt.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post09 Mar 2015, 11:15

Here's the Microma badged version

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post09 Mar 2015, 11:29

BTW I have watches by Microma which were rebranded including: Nepro (classic chunky/boxy first generation Microma), Meister Anker (it's a two button version of the Blade Runner watch) and Syncroquartz (it was a cheaper sub-brand of Microma's and has your Egosta module type) so maybe Egosta was another rebanded Microma variant

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches