Optel: Neuvex Flashing DSM

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Optel: Neuvex Flashing DSM

Post03 Jul 2015, 17:21

My flashing DSM Optel, branded Neuvex, stopped working recently. I thought that the battery had simply discharged prematurely (several months since last battery change). Unfortunately, I've tried two different fresh batteries (Varta and Renata 357's) and the watch hasn't come back on, not even after leaving overnight. Would anyone have any suggestions for diagnostic tests I might try to ascertain where the problem is centered? My level of knowledge is best described as having a broad idea of how these work but I have no deep technical/practical competence/expertise. Any suggestions/ advice would be much appreciated

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Optel: Neuvex Flashing DSM

Post03 Jul 2015, 22:03

I think mine is rapidly heading in the same direction - I notice the display is getting more and more faint, I have not tried it for a while and I have not yet tried experimenting with brand new batteries although I am pretty sure the batteries were okay the last time I wore it, oh well nothing lasts forever and I enjoyed it whilst it lasted. :-D

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post04 Jul 2015, 17:16

My LCD panel was in very good condition hence I'm wondering if it's something else. When the panel turns bad it usually gradually develops a milky colored sheen on top of the silver DSM panel. It's particularly annoying as the watch should have been safely stored given it was in a sealed bag with silica gel.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Aug 2015, 01:22

I have owned many Optel DSMs, and I have noticed that one of the most delicate parts is surely the crown assembly. Try to fiddle with the crown and see if the digits come on. One of my modules died suddenly while I kept it on the wrist. Soon after that, I noticed that the display now comes on only if I turn the crown, as soon as I let it go, the display disappears.

Today I got 10 DSM modules (5 broken), and hopefully I have managed to salvage two (one ended straight into my HS-1), but I have to test the other ones, most of them are equipped with the SSS 5424F chip (steady digits) but two have the 5428F with flashing digits, and an Avia-branded full watch which needs a clean as it seems to be a bit temperamental. I hope to restore them all.

Curiously, four of those modules came with FE displays, all of them are bad though but they look way different from the FE displays we find on later Optel modules, as these ones seem to have worked on modules made for 15v DSM displays. So I guess that these displays were made as stopgaps by Optel before the introduction of the second generation of their PS-2 module that had a lower voltage and was supplied with FE display and a new crown assembly. Interestingly enough, these displays had the polarizer integrated into the piece, instead of having a separate sheet placed above it.
Image Image

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post05 Aug 2015, 00:51

Ah these damn flashing modules. Have one of these and a confirmed "good" dsm display. Put it into the flashing module and to my surprise worked perfectly. I was stunned. So nice. then i got upstairs to get the camera and when i came back it stopped working again. Crown is a point of failure, display contacts are a point of failure, the module itself is a complete failure. if you get it working then enjoy every single moment with it, take videos, show all your friends - QUICKLY. Then get back to the lab again to fix it for another day of awesomeness or so. :grin1: I love the DSMs but they require constant maintenance (or I am just soooooooooo unlucky). The non-flashing module at least works a few weeks without maintenance.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Aug 2015, 17:02

fronzelneekburm wrote:I love the DSMs but they require constant maintenance (or I am just soooooooooo unlucky). The non-flashing module at least works a few weeks without maintenance.

I agree. Thankfully, from the recent stash of modules I got recently, three work properly without any issues. One flashing (currently for sale) and two steady, that I will keep for myself. I have stressed them in various conditions (i.e. work, running, sweaty wrist, every kind of daily activity) since last friday, and so far they haven't missed a hit. Thankfully.

Also, DSM panels are pretty temperamental too. In some modules they don't work well (if at all) or have contrast problems, while in some other ones they work perfectly. :roll:
Image Image

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Aug 2015, 20:42

Also, I've found some of the DSM watches are temperature sensitive. Might be some micro cracks in the solder joints, as you can have them running perfectly at room temperature for example, but when you put it on your wrist the warmer temperatures can cause the heated components to fail on getting the display to work. Take it off your wrist and let it sit and it will come back on.

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post16 Sep 2017, 01:07

Very interesting knowledge. I've got three Optel DSM watches. For now the only works perfect (by BWC). As to EPSA. The watch with blinking digits has interesting effect. Sometimes digits fade or even become negative - you can see not segments, used in figure, but all other segments. For example for 8 you can see nothing, for 1 - you can see "E", for 0 you can se "-". For now watch tries to work normally.
The other one works perfect in zero position. If you set time, then it works for 1 minute till digit changing. Then all digits disappear. But you can notice segments in microscope. In DSM displays you can hardly notice segments in non working watch, but in working watch with problems all segments still visible. For now working with this watch to solve the problem.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches