It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:31

Citizen D080 - Early solar watch

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

fleseriutiberiu

Citizen D080 - Early solar watch

Post19 Mar 2017, 21:18

Hi there,

I aquired a Citizen solar watch on eBay. It is the D080 and I haven't seen this model in a long time, I had an automated search for it and finally after two years found one. DOes any body know if it has a manual, can't seem to find one online. Below is a video review I did of the watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSz-49yxeFg

Regards,
Tibi

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Citizen D080 - Early solar watch

Post19 Mar 2017, 22:43

Congrats Tibi,
Nice catch!
Even if I don't know exactly when the rare Citizen D080 have appeared (early-mid-late 80's ??? - because it has not a regular SN on the case back), I surely know that it is a quite rare SLIM/Solar watch!
I am really curious: Can You tell me/us the approx. date when it appeared on the market?
Just for fun, I will mention that I have acquired in the last months a rare 1977 Mirexal Solar - identical with Mondaine 'Digi-Solar', with a Swiss made Brown Boveri LCD 8 digits display(!) , as one may read on the URL below...and with one of the first solar cells solution made in Europe and abroad :)).
http://soluhr.com/mondaine.htm
When I will have some time, maybe I will make a review of the Modaine Solar also, just to present such rare digital Solar watches as Yours and mine - and their (hi)story to this forum's members...
Of course, my (hi)stories are not a match to Yours or the Caruso''s excellent video reviews on Youtube, but I really hope that my reviews may be still useful to some users of this nice forum...
Thanks for Your post and Your very nice Youtube reviews.
Best Regards,
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

fleseriutiberiu

Re: Citizen D080 - Early solar watch

Post20 Mar 2017, 14:05

Hi,

Unfortunately nothing on the Web has yielded any information on the D080, I do have some books ordered, digital watch encyclopedias, and I am hoping I can find something there. I will keep everyone posted if I find anything.

Very interesting about you Mirexal watch, can we see a picture of yours ? ;-). And if you found a matching solar capacitor, I know these are hard to find and modern day equivalents are rare. Panasonic MT maybe?

Thank you for the compliment on the videos, I try to do a good job and pack as much info a possible without boring too much.

Cheers,
Tibi

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches