Casio DW-210 not beeping

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

Sealtest

Casio DW-210 not beeping

Post22 Mar 2017, 19:01

IMG_7130.JPG
IMG_7129.JPG
Hello, I have a vintage Casio DW-210 that refuses to beep. I did once get it to beep very faintly, but have not been able to reproduce these results. I installed a new battery (since I received the watch without one), and no luck. This isn't a massive issue or anything, but I would like it if this watch was fully functional.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sealtest on 22 Mar 2017, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Casio DW-210 not beeping

Post22 Mar 2017, 19:18

Looking at the photos now, but suggestion, resize the photos so they fit in one screen :-)

-Where is the piezoelectric (bender)? Is it on the reverse (inner) side of the case back or is that it on the reverse (inner) of the case front; photo 1?

-if on case back please post image of the reverse side of the case back.

-if on the reverse of the case back I cannot see a spring contact to connect to the piezoelectric on the module.

-if on the reverse of the case front I need to see the front (LCD) of the module.

Not familiar with the movement hence the questions.

Geoff

Sealtest

Post22 Mar 2017, 20:08

767Geoff wrote:Looking at the photos now, but suggestion, resize the photos so they fit in one screen :-)

-Where is the piezoelectric (bender)? Is it on the reverse (inner) side of the case back or is that it on the reverse (inner) of the case front; photo 1?

-if on case back please post image of the reverse side of the case back.

-if on the reverse of the case back I cannot see a spring contact to connect to the piezoelectric on the module.

-if on the reverse of the case front I need to see the front (LCD) of the module.

Not familiar with the movement hence the questions.

Geoff

Unfortunately I'm not really understanding the terms you are using. I will add a couple more pictures to see if they help. Sorry abut that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Mar 2017, 04:32

Ah, yes, that white disc on the inside of the back of the watch is the piezoelectric buzzer also know as a bender. It generates the beep when a current is supplied to it.

It is grounded to the watch case and a contact spring completes the circuit from the module to the case back.

I d not see a spring in the module that will complete the buzzer circuit. These are sometimes lost during battery changing.

Anyone else know this movement!

Geoff

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Mar 2017, 11:07

The missing spring (usually lost during battery change :) is a common problem for Casio movements.
A video how to fix it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGtz-xh3wcM
Hope this help,
Regards,
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

Sealtest

Re: Casio DW-210 not beeping (SOLVED)

Post24 Mar 2017, 17:44

Actually, this issue was not a missing spring, but a misplaced one. I received this watch second hand without a battery, so I didn't know the configuration of the 2 springs that touch the piezoelectric buzzer. The spring furthest inward (the one soldered to the board), was supposed to touch the buzzer, not the battery like I had it. Without this spring touching the case, the circuit was not complete. After fixing this, the watch beeps LOUD and sounds great. My wife actually uses it now and likes it quite a bit :-D .

My pictures always look weird or blown up, but maybe these pictures will show what pins are supposed to be touching the rear of the case. They are circled.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Mar 2017, 18:28

Another working vintage watch :Prost:

Good job, Geoff.

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post24 Aug 2017, 18:56

Good going on the fix. The DW-2xx series was one of the few where CASIO used modules that didn't use a spring for the piezo speaker contact, but instead used a prong (bent sliver of metal) like how they're used on screw back models. I've run into the situation where upon replacing the battery, the prong for the speaker contact gets stuck under a nearby prong or the battery clip. Incidentally, some of these early CASIO modules had a terrible battery clip design that made it really difficult to install without tremendous patience. Later on they remedied it, by either incorporating the clip into the module metal cage, or simplified the clip so that it's a simple press-and-click design.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches