Seiko 0614 5000 Restoration

Owners of VINTAGE DSM and LCD watches post their topics over here
  • Author

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko 0614 5000 Restoration

Post29 Nov 2020, 08:56

I managed to acquire a working Seiko 0614 5000, but it cam with caveats. In order to improve the contrast of the LCD display I had to increase the module voltage to 3v from 1.55. I used two 381 battery cells to accomplish this. I've been running it for about two weeks now and it seems to be ok. I'm thinking the logic board has a range of voltage it can operate and 3 volts appear to be within that range. Has anyone experienced this? I'm not sure if this caused by the aged polarizer or the up convert capacitor. Any insights from the forum would be helpful. I did manage to do some minor restoration. I just refinished the titanium face and crystal. The rest of the case I just polished it slightly to bring out the remaining brushed finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko 0614 5000 Restoration

Post01 Dec 2020, 16:43

very nice..great work..wear it with pride!
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Dec 2020, 20:37

Thank you Kasper, I really got lucky on this acquisition. On the case restoration I almost regretted refinishing the face (flat front part of the case). Titanium is not as forgiving as Stainless Steel and it started to have a slight discoloration compared to the rest of the case, that was really stressful so I had to sleep on it after the first day of restoration to regroup my state of mind. The following day I sanded a bit more then took time to hand polish the surface. It took me about 3 hrs hand polishing the surface.I was tempted to use a powered polishing wheel but I'm glad I didn't.

The crystal was easier to restore as I was able to remove the buttons and there were no deep scratches so that helped. I left the case and crystal on the counter top to dry when strong breeze lifted the paper towel and both fell to the floor. I almost didn't want to look at the crystal thinking there would be a huge fracture across it, but fortunately it was fine! Yes there were some tense moments. The buttons I refinished using my drill. I inserted each button in the drill bit chuck and slowly spun it to restore that circular brushed look. The good thing is the color indicators were recessed so that was not impacted by the refinishing work. The rest of the case was in great condition so I just did a slight clean and polish work more to clean it than restore the brushed finish. LCD does have some spots on it but considering its age and I think it adds a bit of "aging" to it.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Dec 2020, 02:05

Adding more photos of the restoration effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Vintage DSM and LCD Watches