• Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Latest "NEW" Junghans Mega 1000

Post06 Mar 2006, 16:06

Just found the picture of the LATEST "NEW" Junghans Mega 1000. Link below:

http://www.thebestoftime.com/content/view/187/25/

I see the band is really different (not sure if I like the old or new one better) BUT I definetely like the new "White Face" stainless steel model.

Thoughts from others???

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Latest "NEW" Junghans Mega 1000

Post18 Mar 2006, 19:06

I like the new version, especially white/stainless. The finish appears to be brushed, not satin like the old version. I'm very tempted to buy one.
Perhaps the new version won't replace the old one, but will be a high-end version. It has a sapphire crystal (instead of mineral) and the RRP is 110EUR more.
There is also an all-black PVD-coated limited (250pcs) edition 026/4514.44, picture is here.

Edit: link above is dead, try http://www.corner-shop.de/junghans/cgi-bin/junghansstore_deta.pl?refnr=026451444
Last edited by rewolf on 23 Jan 2008, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 Mar 2006, 19:45

This also means buyers should feel fairly safe that they have actually been sold the latest version, and not the older one.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post20 Mar 2006, 16:50

Two items on this watch:

In this realted post, http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=781 , Grun (welcome to the forum) is obviously one of the first to obtain the new saphire crystal version of this watch. It obviously has the saphire crystal (being it is signed), but, I wonder about changes to the physical movement / design. According to some advertising material I had read, Junghans was also going to improve the reception on this watch. My question is there a way to determine if there was any design change made to the physical part of the watch in order to improve reception as software changes probabbly would do nothing to improve the reception of this watch. Without this "reception" improvement, I do not know if I would bother with the new versions or just keep the one I already have and forget about this 'NEW / LATEST" model. Any input from others???

Secondly, I recognize what Kateshitkano has said about reception (see realted post http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=781 ) capability being different during different parts of the day, BUT, I still come back to my 3 year old Junghans Mega Atomic Stainless steel watch. It syncs manually at will during ANYPART of the day and syncs automatically every night. My Mega 1000 does not - it will only sync manually during certain evening hours and automatically 4-5 times a week. I would expect my "newer" watch's performance to exceed my much older watch's performance - not the other way around!!!!

grun

Post20 Mar 2006, 18:59

collector wrote: According to some advertising material I had read, Junghans was also going to improve the reception on this watch.

That's right, among other improvements as well. I allready mentioned the sapphire crystal, but Junghans also claims increased contrast for better readability and the keys can now be locked to avoid unwanted changes. This is done by pressing F5 for more than 4 seconds. When in locked position any of the keys F1-2-3-4 is pressed, the letters Lo appear on the screen (near the battery status position).

The modelnumber is 26/4513 601 and I bought it at a very small local juwelershop in my hometown. They also have a website, but it is only in Dutch and they don't ship outside the Netherlands. Anyway, to be complete here's the address: http://junghans.mottow.com/pgs/index2.php. I have the white/SS version and paid 318 euros for it. Last week they only had another new black/leather version left.

About the reception: last week I wrote that I was somewhat disappointed because the watch did not synchronize within 15 minutes while my alarmclock was able to synchronize in less than 5 minutes. I wrote that with the watch in front of me. After posting the message, I picked it up and went to the window. From that position there were no problems and the watch synchronized almost immediately.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post20 Mar 2006, 19:37

Grun - thanks very much for the update.

I'll eagerly await any "reception" updates from yourself or others. FYI - sounds like the software is the same as in my "Version 2" model of this watch - nothing new. It looks like Junghans has not changed the operating software features. Anyone know different?

grun

Post20 Mar 2006, 23:34

Collector, the software version is indeed VER 02 JH. About the reception, I'm afraid that I am not able to provide much more information than I allready did. I don't have that much experience with radio controlled watches. In fact, this is my first. :D Over the weekend the watch was reset about 5 times and it synchronized just fine as long as I went outdoors or standing inside near a large window. It won't synchronize in the neighbourhood of my computer equipment (2 pc's, speakers, monitors).

collector

Techie

Techie

Post10 May 2006, 15:08

The last post on this watch (by Grun) was on March 20th. My vendor in the UK still has this one in pre-order mode (not received their supply from Junghans). I was wondering if someone else besides Grun has obtained the "NEW NEW" Saphire crystal, white face model in Stainless Steel. (Again, not the "New" Version 2 model but the "New New" Saphire crystal model.) I do have the " New Old Discontinued Version 2 Model ", (how about that for a oxymoron) and really do like the White Face / SAPHIRE CRYSTAL "NEW NEW" model, but before I agressivelyy pursue it, I was wondering how others might like it and what their sync experiences have been, especially here in the US.

I'm probably a glutton for punishment as, I am going to keep my "New Old Model Version 2 model" because I really like the band design on it. The band design on the new one is much different. Oh well yet another collection to ponder over:)

As an aside, is it only me that is suffering from the "want a particular New watch and can't have it because they are not available yet syndrome"? (i.e. This Junghans, The Time Computer and MJ's new Led watch, etc?)

Another aside, the new LED & LCD watches coming on the market has stopped me from even contemplating the purchase of any additional vintage LEDs or LCDs" for the time being. (My beloved Spaceview Accutrons are another story. No exclusion from buying, as no one has duplicated these (yet), so I don't have to even thing about buying a "New One".) Has any one else had this reaction???

grun

Post11 May 2006, 08:12

collector wrote:I'm probably a glutton for punishment as, I am going to keep my "New Old Model Version 2 model" because I really like the band design on it. The band design on the new one is much different. Oh well yet another collection to ponder over:)

Talking about the band and its design, it is this part of the watch that I'm not so happy with.

I don't know about earlier models, but the band itself has a brushed surface, almost with a kind of satin look. I find it hard to describe, but probably you know what I'm talking about. This look is very fragile. It's almost impossible to keep it in a brandnew condition if you're wearing the watch on a daily basis, like I do. The watch itself is still in mint condition, but the bottom of the band shows very tiny scratchmarks allready. I wear the watch on the same hand with which I'm moving the mouse around (I'm a system administrator) so all day long the bottom of the band is in contact with the desk surface, causing those tiny scratches. Well, it is not even a scratch, but it destroys the satin look at those places. My other watches with stainless steel bands, even the models that are ten times cheaper and that I own several years, don't show this kind of visible damage. Apart from that, it is still a great watch.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post11 May 2006, 15:34

Grun,

Thank you very much for the honest & candid feedback about the band. I really appreciate it!!! Band performance is very important to me as I have been burned in the past by bands that easily scratched. I try to avoid ones that easily do at all costs.

I am going to cancel my order for the "NEW NEW" Mega as I do not want to have the same experience you have had. FYI- I do wear my "Version 2" Mega a lot, even when I am doing "manual chores". It has not scratched and looks like the day I bought it - So much for "new and improved"!!!!

grun

Post11 May 2006, 19:01

Collector, I think you're right cancelling your pre-order, since the band is so important to you. It saves you for ending up being disappointed.

I don't know why Junghans chose to have this brushed finish. The only thing I can imagine it is because, since the band is so massive and really HUGE, the more common high gloss polished stainless steel look would draw too much attention away from the watch itself.

For me, when I purchased the watch I didn't realize that the finish would turn out to be so vunerable. It is not what I expect from a German brand like Junghans. In time, I'm thinking of replacing the band by a leather one. Not just yet, maybe when the watch has to be returned for a battery replacement.

planodale

Post28 Sep 2006, 23:30

I live in the US and am interested in the Mega 1000. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere on the web earlier versions of this watch have problems synchronizing in the US.

Does anyone have experience or can comment on how well the latest version of the Mega 1000 synchrnonizes in the US?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dale

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Sep 2006, 11:37

Yes my watch could not get a signal at all. I recently sent it in for the upgrade, and will let everyone know how it turns out.

lars

Post06 Nov 2006, 00:50

I have just purchased the Mega 1000 - supposedly latest version - from a local shop in Germany. The watch functioned flawlessly for about 10 days while I stayed in the area. Immediately on arriving in the US however, it has failed to synchronize even once - I'm in North Carolina.

I have read all of the advice posted previously about synchronizing at night, near windows, etc., etc. None of it makes a difference. I have the impression that no matter what the optimism may have been about an improved receiver, Junghans still can't make this watch work correctly.

I have contacted Junghans - both the distributor in the US and the headquarters back in Germany. Let's see what they say.

Question: has anyone EVER gotten a Mega 1000 of any version to synchronize in the US? Where were you when you were able to achieve a synch?

Thanks,
Paul

lars

Post06 Nov 2006, 00:52

Sorry, my computer kept locking up and I continued to click "submit".

sorry, sorry, sorry,
Paul

collector

Techie

Techie

Post06 Nov 2006, 01:29

I live in Lancaster PA and the watch (previous version not the latest) does sync MOST NIGHTS, BUT only from one 2ND Level Bedroom location and ONLY if placed in one direction.

This summer, I did travel / vacation for two weeks in North and South Carolina, many different locations (from the western parts of the states to the shore) AND the MEGA 1000 DID NOT SYNC EVEN ONCE!!!!!

Bottom line, I now would not recommend this model watch to anyone living in the United States. I also have a Jungahns Steel Mega and it syncs almost anywhere I have travelled in the US. Because the Steel watch functioned so well I bought the Mega 1000 - WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!

lars

Post06 Nov 2006, 15:20

Thanks for the feedback. I see you had the same problem with posting that I did.

Presently Junghans is offering to replace the watch. I'm still discussing back and forth with them how to proceed. In fairness, I will post again when I understand the situation.

Paul

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Nov 2006, 04:23

Every "atomic clock"(satellite set) I've had SUCKED BIG TIME!! Solar flares, shuttle launches, full moons, the damn things can go crazy in a heartbeat. Can that Junghans be set without using the satellite feature - this one in my office can't even be set manually?! The wife and I have agreed - next time the one in our office goes crazy, we take turns with the pellet gun...... :x Seriously a shame about the Junghans watch - very nice looking watch.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post07 Nov 2006, 05:51

Hi Ed,

Don't give up on Atomic watches totally! Besides the Mega 1000 I have a Jungahns Mega steel which is now 4 years old. It does work perfectly. It automatically syncs every night and manually almost at will. I have used it in a number of states; IL, MD, VA, FL, MN, PA, NY, NJ, CT, WV, CA etc it works / worked great everywhere.

Of course I paid almost triple what I paid for the Mega 1000 so the old adage you get what you pay for obviously applies.

It's just disappointing that a company with Junghans quality reputation would put out a product like the Mega 1000 - like I said previously the Mega's performance is truly disappointing!!!!

collector

Techie

Techie

Post07 Nov 2006, 05:52

Sorry, another double post - don't know what going on with the double posting.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Nov 2006, 07:42

DOUBLE POSTING: Hate to break this thread for this...but when you get an PHP error after hitting submit, I've found that 90+% of the time it HAS gone thru(at least here). If you are leary of losing everything you just typed, block and copy it when it returns you to the "post reply" window. Then just go back to the forum index and look for your posting. If it isn't there, you can easily try again from your copy.

Edit:Pi$$$$$, had a couple of the PHP errors today with no return to the posting window...starting to think it's my ISP/connection. So much for my suggestion. :cry:
Last edited by retroleds on 08 Nov 2006, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

lars

Post08 Nov 2006, 04:05

Just a short update on the saga....

Junghans is being very nice about this issue. They are sending me a new watch - let's see how this one works out. What I found out is that not all of the "new generation" watches in the Mega 1000 line actually have revised movements. There apparently needs to be an M on the box for the watch to be of the "latest" generation. I will report when it actually arrives.

In the mean time, 8 nights of attempts and 0 succes in synchronization with the one that I have. I have gone to some rather extreme measures to get it a better signal. To do that, I built a loop antenna for 60 kHz - passively coupled to the watch. It didn't help. I'm really wondering whether it's signal setrength, quality or the decoding of the WWVB signal that is the problem.

Paul
Next

Return to Modern Digitals