Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Tinyclocks LED watch

Post28 Apr 2006, 21:18

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOT-MATRIX-Modern-R ... dZViewItem

Just received one of these in the post, thought I'd give you my thoughts on it. I bought it from tinyclocks 2003, a canadian ebayer. Mine cost me $34 and I meant to use it as a daily wear (and indeed my only watch but then I found majestyks store...... but that's another story). It's reasonably chunky, with a brushed steel finish. It came with a sticky cover on the plastic red lens, when I pulled the protective cover off it pulled the lens out :shock: I now know that the LEDs you see are actual size :wink: A quick super glue later and it's fixed. The LEDs are not as neat as the picture suggests, the dots appear to have been drinking as they are wandering a bit, any policeman would fail them on the walking in a straight line test. It's a nice big strap for large wristed people so I'm gonna have to have a link or 3 removed (6' tall and skinnny wrists). Biggest gripe is the setting button, it's identical to both the time and date ones and it just bugs me. I understand why it's been done - to keep costs down - but I just feel that that one should be more recessed. I may just remove it and get it cut down somehow oneday. Overall, would I recommend it, not really but I'll wear it in the comfort of knowing I save my Fitron for dressing up and that my kids are sure to bash my wrist sometime with a sword. My work environment ain't too watch friendly either so it wins there again. Why ruin a classic.

The moral - buy a cheap watch and get a cheap watch.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Tinyclocks LED watch

Post29 Apr 2006, 14:56

Fitron Fien:
Cutting down the button should be easy...open the back, shake out the module, find yourself a grinder of almost any sort. Then just hold the button in the OUT position by keeping pressure on it from the inside. Tip: cut a shroud out of sheet metal(drill a hole in middle) and tape it in place on the outside, surrounding the button. Then if your hands get shakey your case is still unmarked - the sheet metal will alert you when you get too close.
Big clunky buttons - one of my pet peeves about new watch designs....no class,IMO.
Blurry displays - they could have saved some juice and turned down the power on some of those - ya think!?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Tinyclocks LED watch

Post29 Apr 2006, 23:39

Thanks little1up for the tip, I've certainly got a grinder lying about and I used to be able to shave slivers off but its been about 3 years since I used it. I'll certainly try it. It's under greater threat from my 2 (soon to be 3) children - I was ambushed by them and on the floor this morning. Incidentally they love the digital watch concept, it's easier for them to read the time and they just love to push the buttons :)

Now all we need is for designers to understand less is more when it comes to buttons. As for juice, I'll let you know how long the batteries last.

PS don't sell all those compu chrons I want one (just can't afford it yet :cry: )

Return to Modern Digitals