Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

When was this Seiko Alba made?

Post06 Nov 2007, 22:04

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2870423#154068065

The site says the 80's, but there are too many factors against this.

1. No one in the 80's was ready for an LED look-a-like watch.
2. The buttons have the styling of 90's+ modern digital watches.
3. The packaging is too slick for the 80's.
4. I don't think that type of back lighting (EL?) was around back then.

I thought it came out around 2000/2001, but if anyone knows the exact date, do tell.

Thanks,

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: When was this Seiko Alba made?

Post07 Nov 2007, 00:23

I'd agree that it is a later model(98 or later). It looks like the same model as the Pulsar "Wired". The early Alba Spoons(straight-forward LCD) are from 94. BTW, anyone with an early Alba spoon gone bad...I have two perfect modules I saved from one's with broken [integral]bands.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

jollyaard

Post10 Mar 2008, 22:04

The watch is from the late 90's and I've seen them in a 1998 Japanese watch magazine, and also the silver and black versions are in the Alba 1999 watch catalogue (Japan).
I think the AKA range was started around 1996 (as the Citizen Independent 1481010 range was relesed in 1997 as competition)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post10 Mar 2008, 23:58

Just went looking in the Japanese collectors book "Electric Watch - #103", it shows the Pulsar "Spoon"(bubble shape) as being 1995, and the Alba AKA like in the picture above in this thread, as 1996. I think Jollyaard is pretty much on...1996-1998.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post15 Mar 2008, 21:51

I have two Pulsar Spoon watches, which are very similar to the Seiko Alba. They are a back lit red LCD display. When you set the time on my Spoon watches, you are able to program in the year. The year goes back to 1997, so I think that would probably be about the time the Alba was made as well.

I like the look of the watches and bought them early on when I began collecting. Neither of mine have been very dependable. You never know when it might decide not to work. I think the problem is mainly an issue of badly designed contacts; I have had both apart several times to bend the contacts out, shim the module with a small piece of cardboard, etc. Perhaps the Alba doesn't have the problems that the Spoon has, but if you are looking for a dependable watch, the Spoon isn't a good choice.
Steve Kamerad

Return to Modern Digitals