de GRISOGONO: MECCANICO dG

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

rewolf

Guru

Guru

de GRISOGONO: MECCANICO dG

Post04 Apr 2008, 20:31

Couldn't find the right place in the forum to post this, neither LED nor LCD, but 7-segment digital:

http://www.ft.com/reports/watchesapr2008
http://www.worldtempus.com/wt/2/11615/7354
http://www.horomundi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4488

Very impressive.
It's not quite the first mechanical digital watch as they mention (IMO jump hour watches are also digital), and also not the prettiest, but AFAIK the first mechanical 7-segment watch display. Nice idea.

I wonder if it will ever become real - all the pictures I can find are CGI, not one real photo yet.
It's not even on the company's homepage http://www.degrisogono.com .

April joke?

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

: de GRISOGONO: MECCANICO dG

Post04 Apr 2008, 21:34

Wow :shock: I am reasonably confident it will be as expensive as it is complex. I wonder what the analogue snobs will make of this :-D

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Apr 2008, 05:47

I really like the idea.

It actually reminds me of the mechanical digital displays they use on the unmanned Pennsylvania Turnpike booths.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Apr 2008, 13:31

Maybe it is a concept watch or prototype?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : de GRISOGONO: MECCANICO dG

Post05 Apr 2008, 15:29

AlmightyTallest wrote:It actually reminds me of the mechanical digital displays they use on the unmanned Pennsylvania Turnpike booths.
Now you made me spend a whole hour reading the history of the Pennsylvania Turnpike ;-) (which I had never heard of before)

@Fitron: 140,000GPB

@ronaldheld: Currently I don't even believe this watch exists physically. Maybe the'll produce it if enough peopke show interest

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Apr 2008, 02:08

LOL rewolf, sorry about that.

The turnpike is sort of my countries lame attempt at the autobahn. Except there's strict speed restrictions, always construction projects patching up the roads or doing something to the roads (And slowing you down more or squeezing everyone into a single lane.) And you have to stop every so often in order to pay toll fees, to keep the construcion going, to keep the..... Well it's a vicious cycle here in the U.S. :D

But the unmanned booths show how much you paid using mechanical displays just like the one on that watch. Which I found is only going to be in 2 versions with 114 examples of each. Which I can't afford, because I pay the tolls, to keep the construction going that slows me down, to keep the.... dangit. :(

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : de GRISOGONO: MECCANICO dG

Post08 Apr 2008, 14:50

AlmightyTallest wrote: The turnpike is sort of my countries lame attempt at the autobahn. Except there's strict speed restrictions(

AlmightyTallest - you have to get over to the Ohio Turnpike. They have a strict speed limit, but on certain days, at certain times, all limitations are off. Last time I was on it, I was flying in the fast lane at 95 mph with a limosine riding my back bumper. When I wouldn't get over(what, and get stuck in the slow lane), the driver tried to pass me on the dirt shoulder, on the LEFT side!!

My funniest toll road story - it is hot summer, I am driving a toll road in an old car with no air conditioning so I decide to unbuckle the trousers. I get to the unmanned toll booth and start digging for change - Damn!, out of quarters! I grab a dollar out of my wallet and step out of my car to ask the driver behind me if they have some change. Trousers around my ankles!! Guy behind me was laughing so hard he just handed me some change...for the "show". :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Apr 2008, 16:51

:lol: retroleds, man that's a story! I'd be so embarrassed :-D

To be honest I think Ohio takes much better care of their roads than we do in Pennsylvania, you can literally see the physical state boundry from Pennsylvania to Ohio when you travel Interstate 76 from the pot-hole ridden and cracked road surface into the smooth ride you get once into Ohio. lol

I'm planning on visiting the USS Cod submarine in Cleveland this summer, so I'll get another sample of the differences between our states roads :lol:

Here's how we deal with painting our roads:

The above is a possum

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post09 Apr 2008, 17:48

The possum M:)W:)M So f.n true. :lol: :lol:

Return to Modern Digitals