OLED

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

OLED

Post12 Aug 2009, 05:50

I was gifted this watch for my birthday.
This watch is BAD _SS :O`~
ImageImageImageImageImage

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: OLED

Post12 Aug 2009, 09:48

Diesel DZ7080
I already had one in my hands, but the display was too dim IMHO (almost unreadable in daylight), and I'm too old for an animated time display :roll:.
Besides that it's an ultra cool watch 8-).
Here's a thread about it, with more images: http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2368&highlight=diesel+oled.
Maybe they improved display brightness in the meantime?

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Aug 2009, 18:22

When did you buy one?
My calendar set date starts @ 2009 when setting the year.
The display seems bright to me except in direct glare from the sun beating right on the display area (Then it can't be seen at all).
I don't spend too much time in the sun, and I really like this watch.
Thanks for sharing the thread, and I'm sorry for starting a new one.
It is a nice gift, and I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
I have to admit that I don't like the feel of this watch on my wrist for long periods of time. I prefer the feel of a vintage LED watch better :-D
I'm waiting to receive a Pulsar "Astronaut" I won in auction on my birthday.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : OLED

Post13 Aug 2009, 00:21

BENRUS wrote:When did you buy one....
As early as possible - October 2007.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Aug 2009, 05:45

Hmm... Maybe they improved the OLED display like your saying since then?
I only noticed this watch in late 2008...I didn't even know that it had been out that long.
I like this watch so much its hardly left my wrist since I got it, but I'm sure once I get that Pulsar "Astronaut" on my wrist...This watch will be sitting for awhile ;-)

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Aug 2009, 09:09

Well the interesting thing is the movement if you ask me..
I would like to know who produces the module for Diesel and where they take the OLED from? I´ve searched for quite a long time but haven´t found an OLED with a tiny dimension.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post28 Aug 2009, 14:57

That watch has the same module as the DKNY 1367 and a few others. Module is made by Fossil. Those are actually white OLEDs with a piece of colored plastic over the display. The internal construction makes it look like and LCD with a backlight sceme, but it isn't, a high resolution matrix(grid) of OLED. Uses a ribbon cable to the display, but a "zebra strip" between the layers of the module - very weird. Previously hit upon in these threads.
http://www.dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?p=17941#17941
http://www.dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?p=18189#18189

I personally like the display and the whole thing can be fit into a P2/P3 case, if one cuts the corners off the module. But epoxy it together before starting if you attempt it - it is made in multiple layers that will prove frustrating to assemble without the corner tabs. The display will just barely completely show through those screens(width wise), and it is much brighter with the colored plastic peeled off.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2009, 21:42

Thanks Rewolf! Funny, the RED & Yellow OLED have a MTBF(mean time before failure) of 150,000 hours, the other colors only 80,000.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Aug 2009, 17:28

Thanks for the links! However these displays are much to fat. The smallest is 26,3mmx8mm in height.

F.e. the Pulsar display of a P2 has a dimension of 16x5mm. That would be an OLED display I am searching for. Sounds like custom displays for me, hmm?

Hanno.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2009, 17:47

retroleds wrote:Thanks Rewolf! Funny, the RED & Yellow OLED have a MTBF(mean time before failure) of 150,000 hours, the other colors only 80,000.

That's part of the OLED problem...
The values you mentioned are extremely good (if they're true). In the beginning, lifetime was only a few thousand hrs. Even STORAGE was only guaranteed for 20000h (about 2 years).

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post30 Aug 2009, 01:16

Nicole wrote:F.e. the Pulsar display of a P2 has a dimension of 16x5mm. That would be an OLED display I am searching for. Sounds like custom displays for me, hmm?
Hanno.

So you need to find out who made the display for the DKNY1367(and those others. I don't remember there being any identifying marks on the one I [eventually] ripped apart. Just barely fit in a Synchronar case too. ;-)

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Sep 2009, 10:00

That´s it. And thanks for destroying :o) the Diesel watch, you saved me from spending money and disassembling a watch without any indication on the display.

It´s too bad that the company hasn´t signed their display.

Hanno.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post01 Sep 2009, 14:28

Nicole wrote:It´s too bad that the company hasn´t signed their display.
Hanno.

The Chinese companies(I believe) have a formal/informal rule of not marking the place of manufacture on small goods like that. Avoids all sorts of issues for them I suppose, from revenue to patent protection. :eek:

Return to Modern Digitals