Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Phosphor Reveal Mechanical Digitals

Post24 Mar 2011, 08:08

Hi.

Some of you have probably already seen this, but I thought I'd post just in case. Phosphor, of e-ink fame, is releasing a line of mechanical digitals called Reveal (apparently sometimes also called "Appear"). Prices run from $200 to $250. These use a miniaturized version of the bus / train station sign tech. While I'm not too crazy about anything with diamonds or crystals, these are still pretty neat. They even make a miniaturizef version of the train station clicking clattering noise when they change.
http://www.phosphorwatches.com/category-s/33.htm

Maybe they'll release a version sans crystals that embraces more of the train station aesthetic. Also, it looks like these use a seven segment layout rather than the dot matrix layout used in signs. Still, hats off to Phosphor for trying something new. This looks similar to a line that was rumored to be under debelopment by "Guess" a few years ago but never made it out the door. It's good to see this make it to market. I hope it suceeds so it can continue to evolve. It has a lot of potential.

-abe.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Phosphor Reveal Mechanical Digitals

Post24 Mar 2011, 22:38

Very interesting technolgy - haven't ever seen this in a watch.

But why a ROUND case, and why 12 HOUR DISPLAY ONLY? AGAIN! It's such a shame...

Return to Modern Digitals