Sparc-ing Z-tec ;-)

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Sparc-ing Z-tec ;-)

Post16 May 2011, 11:58

With the recent flux of threads on design, a watch by BWM-design seems appropiate to list:

It is supposed to have been a limited edition but I cannot find anything about is save that it seems to have been a single run production.

It has an ESA module with an autoquartz rotor unit. The combination listed as the Ventura propriatry technology VEN_99.
The BWM-design element is the deployable ´clasp´ enveloping the watch head.

Funnily enough it seems to have Sparc-ed mainly the imagination/interest from the all-road motorbikers and not of the Z-drivers.
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

: Sparc-ing Z-tec ;-)

Post16 May 2011, 16:04

Currently about 4 of them on eBay, but not much info online :-?

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Sparc-ing Z-tec ;-)

Post16 May 2011, 17:49

planetlcd wrote:Currently about 4 of them on eBay, but not much info online :-?

Appearantly there were 2000 made which (exclusively?) sold through BMW dealerships.
There were two versions; one with and one without the deployable bridges to the case.
The one without seems to be a standard FX customised for BMW.
I don´t know if there were 2000 customised or 2000 with the deployment case.

I suspect there can be several BMW models lying about at BMW dealers that are coming out of their boxes now the revived Ventura brand is drawing limelight again.

To be honest I am not sure when the automatic digital was launched nor when the BMW version came out. It seems to have been 2001 and 2005 respectively and maybe the 99 in VEN_99 refers to the thing being conceived by Ventura in ´99?

Maybe Rewolf can compose a chronological overview about the digital models.
It is not thát complicated yet since the second generation is only just being announced.
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post16 May 2011, 19:23

VEN_99 is the Ventura movement used in all SPARC watches (fx, px, rx, and both versions of the BMW watch).
The 99 refers to the year, Ventura uses this sceme for all their movements, e.g. VEN_03 and VEN_04 for the v-tec movements, VEN_10 for the new MGS.
I don't know the exact chonology of the SPARC models, but in 2003 (when I "discovered" Ventura) the fx and px already existed, as well as the BMW models.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 May 2011, 20:10

rewolf wrote:VEN_99 is the Ventura movement used in all SPARC watches (fx, px, rx, and both versions of the BMW watch).
The 99 refers to the year, Ventura uses this sceme for all their movements, e.g. VEN_03 and VEN_04 for the v-tec movements, VEN_10 for the new MGS.
I don't know the exact chonology of the SPARC models, but in 2003 (when I "discovered" Ventura) the fx and px already existed, as well as the BMW models.

Thank you Wolfgang.
Neat and logical; VENtura ´03 etc.

Now I think of it, Venturas ´the watch´ by Flemming Bo Hansen has the same display module as the VEN_99 :idea:

Image.

But on the other hand F.B. Hansen designed the thing in ´84 and it went in production by Moma. It is currently marketed by Rosendahl.
Why would the generic ESA lcd module be a VEN?
Oops, the Ventura ´the Watch´was ´90 :oops:
Better let thát one go thus....

Still in limbo about the ´Sparc-ies´ and it seems likely to have been ´99.

I know the Kappa and Zeta were introduced Basel 2007 but took their time to materialise. I am unsure if the Zeta ever did;

For as far as I can tell, the RX apears in 2005 for about 2000 Euros. Is that correct Wolfgang?

´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post17 May 2011, 10:10

Huertecilla wrote:Still in limbo about the ´Sparc-ies´ and it seems likely to have been ´99.

I know the Kappa and Zeta were introduced Basel 2007 but took their time to materialise. I am unsure if the Zeta ever did;

For as far as I can tell, the RX apears in 2005 for about 2000 Euros. Is that correct Wolfgang?

Scanned though my collected pdfs: the rx is not in the 2004-04 pricelist, but on the front page of the digital collection 2005. So yes, it appeared in 2005.
The "remaining stock list" of 2008-07-15 lists an original price of 1950-2250€ depending on strap/bracelet. I have no earlier price information.
Advent of the Sparc movement: In 2005 Ventura wrote "The world’s first «automatic digital watch» SPARC® - On the occasion of its 10 year anniversary and to commemorate the change of the millennium, Ventura introduced the world’s first «automatic digital watch» in the year 2000. ..." They don't however mention which model it was. The fx is "W10", the px "W11", the rx "W12", but I don't know where to put the BMW models.

The v-tec Zeta had the same fate as the v-tec Kappa, introduced in 2007, but never made it to the market. However some had already been manufactured and were sold for 1193€ / 1268€ (Durinox / black Durinox).

Regarding "the watch": this is a different movement, nothing to do with VEN_99. I could even be something cheap and generic. Doesn't even have 24h. I haven't opened mine yet to have a look...

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 May 2011, 11:43

rewolf wrote:Scanned though my collected pdfs: the rx is not in the 2004-04 pricelist, but on the front page of the digital collection 2005. So yes, it appeared in 2005.
The "remaining stock list" of 2008-07-15 lists an original price of 1950-2250€ depending on strap/bracelet. I have no earlier price information.

WOW! :eek:
So the thing waiting for me at the post office had a RLP of 2250 Euros :!:
To say that I am curious about it, would be an understatement ;-)

Advent of the Sparc movement: In 2005 Ventura wrote "The world’s first «automatic digital watch» SPARC® - On the occasion of its 10 year anniversary and to commemorate the change of the millennium, Ventura introduced the world’s first «automatic digital watch» in the year 2000. ..." They don't however mention which model it was. The fx is "W10", the px "W11", the rx "W12", but I don't know where to put the BMW models.

Thank you.
That puts the VEN_99 indeed in ´99 with an introduction in 2000.
Literally a 21st c. movement :-D

The v-tec Zeta had the same fate as the v-tec Kappa, introduced in 2007, but never made it to the market. However some had already been manufactured and were sold for 1193€ / 1268€ (Durinox / black Durinox).

I read that when they went belly up, the executives helped themselves from stock to gréat disgruntlement of the personel that had unpaid salaries outstanding.

Regarding "the watch": this is a different movement, nothing to do with VEN_99. I could even be something cheap and generic. Doesn't even have 24h. I haven't opened mine yet to have a look...

That is quite a neat collection of digital Ventura history then.
Could you make a family foto?

Quite a lot of history for such a recent brand. Also against ány current. They went for digital when all was mechanical.
They went belly up twíce in a booming market.
Nów; in a tricky market, they rise from the ashes.
All in 20 years time :!:
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post17 May 2011, 16:44

For reference the sellout-stocklists of 2008-07-15 and 2009-04-20, the first and last I have:
Image Image

(Edit: Stocklist_2009-0420 added)
Last edited by rewolf on 18 May 2011, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 May 2011, 19:58

Thank you Wolfgang. Some very interesting things in there.
So the díd offically sell iced out Sparc and V-tec!
Although it is not in the list for sale in Russia was:

for 10.0200 Euros.

Surprising is the only 2 RX W14LTDs left. Appearantly they did not sell because they are on the site shop for 1750,-
The RX W12S has not changed in price.

Looking at the original RLP and the 50% discout prices, the current prices of Miss V models look very attractive too. Some are stíll at that 50%
I find it surprising that in the 2005 catologue the gold plated model is feature, it misses on the sell out and is back today.
Do ADs give discounts on the Ventura list price?
´Design oder nicht sein´

Return to Modern Digitals