Ventura Sparc RX W12S

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Ventura Sparc RX W12S

Post19 May 2011, 20:27

The Sparc RX is designed by Paolo Fancelli and was introduced for model year 2005 with prices from 1950,- on a leather strap to 2350,- Euros. for the Limited Edition.
The case serials of the different versions are all numbered through and less than 1000 have been produced. The LTD (with antracite colour head) is made in 199 pieces.
The W12S is the version on an Durinox bracelet. It cost 2250,- and weighs in at 182 gram.
The head is 40 mm. wide at the crown, 14 mm. thick.
The 4 mm. :eek: thick, bracelet goes from 26 at the head to 20 at the deployable clasp.

The digital module is powered by an ´automatic´.
This VEN_99 movement is an in house development by Ventura in 1999 and was first used in the Sparc PX in 2000.

It is time only in 12H or 24H format and has a Date/Month screen.
No lighting.

When stationary for one hour, the display wil switch of into power save. The slightest movement will swing the rotor and instanty kick the module into life.
The power reserve is 2 months. If the watch is to be stored for longer it should be switched of to avoid draining of the accumulator. If this however should happen all is needed is to charge by wearing.
A very special feature is that the unit can be handwound too ánd kept on the boil on a traditional watchwinder. It is enganged to wind in the ´in´ position and disengages / goes to ´set´ mode when pulled.

Setting is done through the single crown by scrolling when pulled out.
Pull out and F(ast)F(orward) or FR(erverse) for H(our)F(orward) resp. HR, S(low)Forward or SR for M(inute)F resp. MR.
Albeit controlling less functions, it is the same what is called EasySkroll in the V-tec models.

The head can be rotated to adjust the angle of view.

power save mode

Totally unobtrusive easyscolling crown

´Automatic´ with véry clever coil sping on a ratched mechanism

4 mm. thick solid links in Durinox.

Driver´s watch

Seiko EPD, Ventura Sparc, Hamilton MiB II

In the Ventura.ch webshop the RX is currently for sale for 1490,- to 1750,- Euro; 1650,- for the W12S.
65 and 335 is for a replacement leather strap and durinox bracelet, meaning 110 Euros discount on the bracelet of the W12S :idea:
These prices are véry keen and a result of the unloading of the development/investment cost burden during the course of two bancruptcies.
The quality level is way, wáy beyond this price level. To find the same quality of manufacture and finish you will need to look in the >3k bracket of the Swiss competition; it is level with Omepanro.

- The quality of manufacture is wáy superior to the Seiko EPD. Taking the law of demishing retuns into account I consider it indeed reflected in the original RLP difference. At the present RLP the Ventura RX clearly wins the build quality/price.
- The visual impact and the feel of the design and quality is a hands down win for the Ventura.
- The display is, well; simplistic LCD versus 21st c. high tech and the Seiko is wáy superior.
- Solar versus automatic toping up of the accumulator would get on par notes from me. The power save of mechanical is more user friendly as it switches on as soon as you move the wrist and it also is a 8-) art pour l´art piece of technology BUT solar is solid state and só much more rugged.
- Concerning time keeping performance and functionality the modules are in a different league and the Seiko wins on al points.

The bottom line is the fundamentally different approach:
- The Seiko is a contemporary watch technology watch.
- The Ventura is contemporary functional art on the wrist.
As such both are in a class of their own.
Attaching equal weight on either, the two are about on par concerning value for money. That changes when you prefer either technology or design or when money ís an issue.

Missed the Hamilton? Well, that is its relative position :wink:

Oh, hre is anothe horlogic item Fancelli designed; the Wenger Evo series (this is the Bergeon Minathor)

Last edited by Huertecilla on 21 May 2011, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

: Ventura Sparc RX W12S

Post20 May 2011, 12:46

Just for the fun of it here the faces of Ventura:

Flemming Bo Hansen

Hannes Wettstein

Simon Husslein, Tsuyoshi Kogoshi

Paolo Fancelli

Adrian Frutiger

Pierre Nobs holding a Wettstein- and a Fancelli design.

´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 May 2011, 12:19

Here the driver´s side of it;

and the negative display with reflective background líghts up in direct sunlight and you can see it hugs the wrist so it does not stick out nor moves when riding over unmetalled camino with the motorbike;

Behind the wheel

The head

The rotateable head will be ideal on horseback too. My horses are light on the aids to the extreme and wíll respond to amy wist/arm movement. Without context they will not dó anything buy it ís like a ´half halt´. Having it angled right makes a fast glance ever so much easier.

As I wrote this RX is on Rolex, Panerai level.
To take that out of the sensitive zone I have tried to find a non-digital, non-Omepanro comparison.
Here one such comparative review.

http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/REVIEWS/Com ... raLoga.htm

The loga is now back in production for 3160,-
The ´split head´ is, although different, akin the RX rotateable head construction.
On the RX the bracelet is on par with the rest.

Although the Logo is/was a relatively innovative design by Hannes Wettstein, it nevertheless was only pushing the envelope of conventional.
With his V-Matic II Wettstein takes it as far as it goes within those bounderies.
Feeling restricted by and thus not content with those bounderies, Hannes Wettstein was thé geat driving force behind the step towards digital display watches with modern technology, allowing freedom for contemporary design.
That sums up the real difference between the RX and Loga; contemporary design and modern watch technology versus conventional. The quality is the same = on par with IWC and.... :wink:
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post23 May 2011, 18:42

As always, an informaitve review - thank you Huertecilla.
To be honest, at first I didn't like the look of this watch. When I saw the pictures you first posted I really didn't care for it. When I see the pictures of it on your wrist - then it suddenly looks better to my eyes. I thought "Ah, so this is how it would look if I was wearing it." Another good catch for your collection. 8-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 May 2011, 08:57

Thank you for the compliment.

The watch takes some getting used to and will not be to everybodie tatse.
It is a bit like the Bulova Big Block and the Panerai Fizzy.
The 8-) thing is that if it happens to grow on you, that is likely to be lasting.

It is a véry compact watch; 40 mm. wide and 182 gramm speaks for itself as does a 4 mm thick bracelet suiting the the head to perfection.
Which brings me to the head. There is no case as we are accustomed to. The head is a véry compact unit, free to rotate in a sturdy ´shroud´ to which the bracelet is secured.

The concave ´bezel´ into which the crown is sunken, makes that the head gain some elegance and it presents, accentuates the display.
The effect of the polished concaven bezel faces and the very finely brushes surface is strange: It gives the impression that the concave shape was chiseled out; very tool like.

The shape of the shroud is such that is follows the shape of the top of your wrist. The 14 mm. hight therefore sits as low as possible which adds to the compact feel.

...and the rotating head is just mád.
To me it realy is the 21st C. reïncarnation of the post-V Panerai Luminor.

I am a bit :oops: to...
Well :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: actualy because I managed to drop it too. I have not dropped a single Vostok Amphibian ever and the EPD and RX both hit the stone in whééks !@@!
It slid off the arm of the chaisse longue. STÚPID to lay it on there.
Again this dry sound when it hit the tiles ~:(
Again nóthing. I am getting to be quite :mrgreen: with high end digitals ;-)

Bottom line is that I agree with Rewolfs comparison of the Seiko EPD and Ventura. The hardware of the Venturas ís in a different league. I am still behind mine too as the EPD has the legs with the module and value for the buck, but one should not judge the highest end on value for money. I missed that point a bit :oops: and pondering about the SLoP made me :idea: it.
The RX is again like the Pan in this.

Ok, now the last bit.
Pierre Nobs himself has confirmed that the serial numers of all the Sparc RX models were numbered through and less than a 1000 were made. He did not state how many and I doubt it got anywhere near 1000.
They went belly up in 2007 and no more were made. Even those sold today are ´as stocks last´. To add perspective to that take a peek at the 2008 stocklist Rewolf put on DWF.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Jun 2011, 13:54

Found a picture of the RX in a Ventura watchwinder specifically designed for ADs to display the Sparc:

´Design oder nicht sein´

Return to Modern Digitals