SBPG001 disection?

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

SBPG001 disection?

Post14 Sep 2011, 22:07

Its out of its warranty now ( would cost me more than the watch to send it back anyway! )

From the start this watch , although greatly loved, has been cursed

Firstly it arrived with a badly set gasket and crystal, also theres a small laser engraved dot in the case back.

got Seiko UK to send it back to Japan to reset the crystal but when it came back it was scratched!

Seiko UK ordered a new crystal to be sent over form Japan and they fitted it for me - So after buying it in Sept 2010, I finally managed to start wearing it in end of Oct 2010!

1 week later a scratch on the crystal - came from nowhere!

Randomly has started to suffer from bad time setting . ie, when the radio signal sync's it will put it ahead 1 hours every other month. I think this topic has been covered on the Seiko forum? Im not the only one with this problem

Now I have a small speck of dirt floating around inside the watch and it likes to live on the seconds display area.

Question - Can I remove the back myself and sort the problem without jeperdising the water tightness of the watch? I wear it in water alot

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: SBPG001 disection?

Post15 Sep 2011, 19:52

I was considering one of these,but these quality issues are quickly putting me off. :-(
The SDGA 001 is of a somewhat higher quality , and something of a technological marvel,i love it. :-D

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Sep 2011, 20:10

Dont be put off by my experience Holly, I just got the short straw. It is a great watch if you dont get the black sheep!

I think the SDGA has the same syncing issues?

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Sep 2011, 20:16

My SDGA 001 has synced perfectly with my mega 1. As has the Futura and Mega 1000,i may be in a good ,signal area here.

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Sep 2011, 00:08

From a previous disscussion of this topic elsewhere that HomoCaballus was able to answer why it happens - As I said, it is not an everyday event and in the last year of owning this watch has onyl ever happend 3/4 times in the past 6 months
(Quote)
The origin of the problems lies with the Anthorn signal. Unlike the other stations it does not have a DST signal but has the time signal changed.

One would expect that with the correct setting this should not be much of a problem for the software but for whatever reason, it presents problems.

Junghans experienced problems with the Mega 1000 too. Wether usere setting issues or not; they had to deal with the clients and that was a pain.
The newly released Mega Futura has the Anthorn signal eliminated.
The DFC77 signal is picked up in the whole of the UK so synchronising is not an issue.

Becaúse Mainflingen is received in the whole of the UK the two different DST signals appearantly cause the problem.

I have the same potential problem where I live; both stations have an equally strong signal here and synchronisation depends on the atmospheric conditions underway.
I set my Seiko (EPD) manually to the home time. That cleared up confusion.
(Quote)

Anyway, going back to my original question???

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Re: SBPG001 disection?

Post28 Jul 2012, 17:35

rather than start a new thread on the seiko spirit sbp-g001, I thought I wouldjust ask here..

since I live in Australia, I assume there is no atomic clock synchronisation & I wont have any issues setting the time on this watch manually?

sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I just want to make sure before I decide to buy one of these chinese seiko's

thanks
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jul 2012, 18:33

Check online to see if the Japanese signal covers you . Failing that the watch will work as per every other digital. Its easy to set and use.

Dont know about it being Chinese though! Seiko Is a Japanese. Albeit all Seiko's are assembled in China now, there not Chinese.........

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jul 2012, 03:15

No coverage in Australia :-(
I did read somewhere that someone once got a sync from Japan, but only once.
I'm in Sydney and I've tried putting my Junghans Mega1000 in all sorts of spots, but never got a sync. You might be luckier in some locations though. If you were in Cairns at the top of a mountain, you might get it to sync every so often if the atmospheric conditions were good. Perth seems unlikely.............

Rgds.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post29 Jul 2012, 03:44

thanks guys, I'm not worried about the auto time setting signal working at all, i just like the watch.

also i just assumed since the watch says 'made in china' it was chinese, I didnt realise all new seikos are made (or just assembled??) there.

thanks for the help
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post31 Jul 2012, 14:33

decided to buy one of these as my qed II is too nice for everyday use
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post10 Aug 2012, 17:24

very happy with the build quality & size (not too big) of this seiko - excellent watch!
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Aug 2012, 17:29

What you really need is a SDGA001 ;-)

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Aug 2012, 21:07

About the gasket, I changed the battery a few times on my actively for diving used Citizen dive watch and it remained waterproof. Be careful not to damage the gasket and keep it spotless, very ligthly lubed with silicone grease. At your own risk of course!!!!

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post11 Aug 2012, 08:37

holly35 wrote:What you really need is a SDGA001 ;-)

no thanks, i much prefer the look of the sbpgoo1 & the $700 price difference in my pocket :mrgreen:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post15 Jul 2013, 14:52

well, I live in one of the sunniest Cities the world & this Seiko is near useless at keeping the battery charged up...

maybe i got a dud :-?

looking to buy a good 80's seiko lcd now to cycle with my Hamilton, not sure what I will do with this thing now..

cheers :-D
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jul 2013, 23:14

dutchsiberia wrote:About the gasket, I changed the battery a few times on my actively for diving used Citizen dive watch and it remained waterproof. Be careful not to damage the gasket and keep it spotless, very ligthly lubed with silicone grease. At your own risk of course!!!!

I also have change batteries on Casio / Timex for many many year with no issue

As long as the condition of the gasket is good, and you set it correctly without damaging it when closing up the caseback, you shouldn't have a problem.

Beware, I only go pool deep with my watches, if you dive, then definitely do pressure test and have the gasket replace every few years.

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post28 Mar 2015, 03:40

Sorry for reviving and old thread... I recently came into ownership of an SBPG001 in very good slightly used condition. It seems that the battery may have suffered a deep discharge at some point that compromised its ability to store maximum charge. After soaking in direct sunlight for several hours, the watch will achieve a 3 bar reading, but then fall back to 2 bars in about 15~30 mins... and this is after several weeks of direct sunlight exposure. Day after day, same thing (momentary achievement of 3 bars charge level). Also, when the watch is chilled, pressing the backlight causes the LCD segments to wash out. Doesn't happen when fresh off the 3 bar charge reading and the watch is warm. So, something is definitely not right with the battery.

So I'm going to get a replacement battery... if I could only figure that out (the manual is devoid of this information). Does anyone know how to remove the backing of this watch? The case back is unfortunately press-fit (can't stand those!). I examined it and can't quite make out where the proper place is to use the pry tool. I don't want to dent or scratch this thing. Once the back is off, then I'll be able to examine the battery and know exactly what model to get as a replacement. Thanks! :mega:

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post28 Mar 2015, 17:15

You might want to try an extremely sharp kitchen knife. I had resorted to this when none of my proper watch tools could get between the back cover and case of a watch I was working on. Of course, be v careful as a slip of the knife could cause serious injury. However, if you work the edge of the knife around the case steadily you should find that the back cover will pry up enough for you to use a conventional tool to finish the job

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post02 Apr 2015, 20:00

wzy-hman wrote:You might want to try an extremely sharp kitchen knife. I had resorted to this when none of my proper watch tools could get between the back cover and case of a watch I was working on. Of course, be v careful as a slip of the knife could cause serious injury. However, if you work the edge of the knife around the case steadily you should find that the back cover will pry up enough for you to use a conventional tool to finish the job

Hi Wzy, thanks for your advice. It is rather disconcerting that SEIKO did not do a better design for this case back. I would have preferred a 4 screw design. If not, then at least provide a reinforced corner explicitly for prying off the case back. Perhaps they do this so to discourage self-servicing. But c'mon, for a battery replacement? It's not hard to do. I've done dozens of them on my watches without any problems whatsoever. :roll:

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post04 Apr 2015, 16:40

I think the snap on back is a widely hated design but unfortunately features on even the most high end of watches eg Breitling's and the such. Once you get the case back off, you'll then need a very good case press to get it back on again!

xevious

Geek

Geek

Re: SBPG001 dissection?

Post14 Dec 2017, 08:17

Does anyone here who owns a SEIKO SBPG001 know what is the gasket diameter? When I removed my backplate, my case back removal tool severed the gasket. I then tried to salvage it by taping it into place and using some liquid gasket (meant for automotive gaskets). it worked, somewhat... but not perfect. And when I snapped the case back on, a piece of the gasket got chopped off. I'm guessing this gasket is 34mm and 0.7m thick... but would be great to avoid buying it and discovering it's not correct. I sent an email to SEIKO and all they would do is offer for me to send in the watch. Right...

Return to Modern Digitals