Ventura Alpha 1 Vs Alpha 2.

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Ventura Alpha 1 Vs Alpha 2.

Post11 Sep 2012, 10:47

Coming soon,a back to back review on the iconic Alpha 1 Vs its replacement the Alpha 2.
Note, no versions of the Alpha 1 are available now inc the LTD version which has now disappeared from Venturas web site.
Also a review of the iconic Sparc PX on its way.................................................................................................... :-D
Last edited by holly35 on 08 Oct 2012, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Ventura Alpha 1 Vs Alpha 2.

Post11 Sep 2012, 13:16

Awaiting the reviews. I have a delta, but do not see any reason to buy a newer model.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Sep 2012, 13:58

My reports are more or less ready to list,but i need to take some suitable pictures first.What i can say without doubt ,is that in terms of quality,visual impact and a certain undefinable something the first Sparc models PX,FX ,RX(and the BMW Z variants) are on a higher level. This is possibly due to the "warmth" of the beautiful Swiss automatic movement against the "colder" battery operation plus the sheer technical brilliance involved in their development. The BMW also has a lovely balanced feel to it in the hand,difficult to describe .
I am sure all owners of any of the above will recognize. :-D ;-)

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post11 Sep 2012, 15:06

Looking forward to reading your review :-D Although I don't own the models you are speaking of the Sparc always has me going back to the site just to view the pictures. Thanks in advance

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Sep 2012, 13:53

Here,as promised is my review on these fantastic watches.....
After having be given the task of designing some earlier watches by Ventura,Hannes Wettstein was again called on to pen a new watch to fit the ven 03/04 range of modules. The design was to incorporate the new scroll wheel ,which controls all the watch functions. The need to protect the wheel from damage , saw it being set into the case on a curve which reduces its exposure and angles the case towards the wearer. Simple and ingenious.
It has been a few years now since Mr Wettstein passed away,leaving his design team to build on the iconic design of the Alpha 1 with a better MK 2 version............................................................................................................................................................................................................
DESIGN.
The Alpha 1 is so simple and fuss free in its design ,with its angled screen classic lines and sharp defined edges its so beautiful it could have been released yesterday.Using top quality materials it is totally devoid of any elements which would ruin its simplistic form.The pressure was on Hannes Wettsteins studio to raise the bar with its replacement.
The Alpha 2 is larger,has sloped sides, a different lug style,larger crystal which now covers the entire lower part of the watch. It has the new ven10 module which has larger time display with a smaller font for the date and additional functions. While both use the same font ,the display on the Alpha 1 despite being smaller in size ,is the slicker,more professional looking.The display looks sharper defined,with almost no visible gaps between the segments.
The Alpha 2 has a more block like appearance,and looks unbalanced with its off set display which leaves an unused blank part to the left of the screen.By using the 24 hr display it fills this up better.It does however have a slightly "child" like look to it, with its elongated numerals.
QUALITY.
Both have sapphire crystals,durinox hardened stainless steel cases,however the Alpha 1 has a silky brushed finish while the 2 has a matte sand blasted case not unlike titanium in appearance. However if you do scratch this matte finish enough, it will show a shiny steel scratch which may be difficult and expensive to repair.........
Quality of assembly in both are very high ,but the Alpha 1 looks the better executed with tighter fitting lines, it has a more precision feel to it.
VALUE.
Both are expensive,the alpha 1 is now completley sold out with the limited edition black version having just been removed from Venturas web site.
Its always a personal choice regarding what you feel is value for money,but since the Alpha1 is so sought after, if you can still find one at its original cost it would be some thing of a bargain.
DESIRABILITY.
The Alpha 2 is larger which may mean its better for the larger wrist,it has the newer module which has some small differences. Both have huge wrist presence and are very desirable.
Hannes Wettstein studios have made a brave attempt at improving the Alpha1.However ,i feel that they have simply embellished the design, which was IMO pretty much perfect in the first place.The fact that the Alpha 1 looks and feels the higher quality watch ,has a timeless design and is so coveted among the watch and design world, its easy to see that it will be remembered long after the Alpha 2 is forgotten.......................................................
Alpha 1 W15R1.jpg
Ventura v-tec Alpha 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post27 Sep 2012, 09:26

Thanks for the interesting comparison.
I totally agree with you about the display on the Alpha 2. It's elongated numbers are far less appealing than on the Alpha 1.
In general though, I think I prefer the look of the Alpha2. If you could put the smaller crystal and smaller numbers on the Alpha2 model, I think you'd have a winner :-D
(I could be a bit swayed by the metal bracelet on the Alpha2 though. I think a metal bracelet always looks better).

I like the red 'V' accent on the Alpha 2 as well.
Rgds.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Sep 2012, 11:08

Of course the Alpha1 was also available at one time with the bracelet,as the Alpha 2 is with the rubber strap.The red V indicates this is the LTD edition model. If i had to change anything on the Alpha 1 it would only be to increase the case size around 2/3mm all round,thats it. The ven 03 module trumps the new ven 10. Although saying that the ven 99 module trumps them all,but thats another story coming very soon..................................................... ;-)

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Sep 2012, 11:50

I had several of those BMW z's Back in the day, used to buy them from a guy in Germany, and sell them on eBay. Pretty sure they never made more than about £200, I wish I'd kept some back :cry:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Sep 2012, 11:59

Well the last used BMW Z watch i saw on ebay.de sold last week for just under £500 plus shipping. The Z variant with the folding case is the more common version,although both were ltd to 2000 units. The version i have (complete set) is basically a Sparc FX which has a slightly modified case design. I think its the more desirable version,you rarely see any of them for sale....and i know why. ;-) 8-) :eek: :-D

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post27 Sep 2012, 14:47

I prefer the look of the Alpha1 and the equal size of the bottom and top digits, since I prefer watches with bracelets the Alpha2 in this photo looks great as well.

I'm hope in future they put an Automatic Digital movement in the Current Kappa, Delta and hopefully bring back the Alpha1, obviously the case would be slightly larger but thats ok as well.

Thanks for the write-up and Photos, much better than what I can take :)

cj.cooper

Post20 Apr 2013, 12:06

There's an Alpha 1 available from amazon uk... stumbled upon it.
Holly35 may be tempted - it's rather beautiful, in black with black rubber strap.

here's the listing
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ventura-V-Tec-W ... _watches_3

I've got a Sigma with the Ventura rubber strap, good stuff - caoutchouc veritable.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 Apr 2013, 12:24

Had the steel and rubber version,if i were you i would check out the ventura web site.............
Are they selling off the Ven_03 moduled watches along with the Ven_99 sparc models?
BIG discounts direct from Ventura.............the Ven _10 module watches and the new Sparcs remain unchanged.Perhaps we may see some new styles.
the ven _03 and Ven_99 have had a fair run now................................................................................ :bye: :?:
Last edited by holly35 on 25 Apr 2013, 10:18, edited 3 times in total.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Apr 2013, 13:13

i would prefer new movements and functions to just different cases.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Apr 2013, 14:31

Pulled the trigger on a Sigma W25S, on durinox bracelet.A sure future classic and looks so much better on the bracelet :mega: And saved a small fortune. :-D :O`~ :Prost:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post25 Apr 2013, 12:42

Still wearing my V-Tec 1, every day since Dec 04 :mega:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Apr 2013, 15:11

download (2).jpg
holly35 wrote:Pulled the trigger on a Sigma W25S, on durinox bracelet.A sure future classic and looks so much better on the bracelet :mega: And saved a small fortune. :-D :O`~ :Prost:

Anyone see the links here? The modern day version? quality ,desirability and exclusivity are all bettered by the Ventura ,BUT it could be a reincarnation of a famous original digital watch.
And ,a link here!! :eek: I knew the Sigma reminded me of something else! :mega:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post26 Apr 2013, 02:20

Sigh, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread ...

Now I have an additional credit card charge to pay and soon will have a Sigma on bracelet arriving at my door step ... :D

I have wanted the Sigma for the longest time and I actually prefer the "old" style display (with both rows of the numbers at the same size) better than the new one.

I don't know what they are going to do with the battery operated Sigma lineup, are they going to discontinue it?

The MGS version is just way too rich for my pocket. I can live with changing out the battery every 3 years at about 1/3 of the price of the MGS version. :)

(btw, no VAT for US customers but the shipping cost is hefty $85)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Apr 2013, 22:12

You will love the sigma.
I will be listing a special presentation soon. And , yes its a total bargain at a 1/4 ,1/3 of its automatic brothers price.
Its a work of art, its quality will blow you away........

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post26 Apr 2013, 22:40

Now I am think about the strap option. I don't there are other strap that would fit the shape of the case.

I am thinking the only option may be leather strap from custom strap makers.

The rubber strap for it was like USD$133. I suppose I can get one (or two) custom leather strap for about (or a little more) money.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Apr 2013, 22:54

Why did you not just order the strap version?
Trust me, i have had both, and the venturas look much better on bracelets. They match the quality of the case exactly.
I disliked the clasp on the rubber straps.
Stick with the bracelet , or if you must , buy the original rubber as it is designed to fit the case style .

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post26 Apr 2013, 23:09

I saw photo of the clasp and didn't like it neither.

I will wait for the watch to show up and then decide if I would go with custom leather strap as strap option or not. (I like to have different strap option just in case :-) )

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Apr 2013, 16:02

I think,once you see the watch in person, you will understand why Ventura owners bang on about quality so much. Even non watch fanatics cant fail to appreciate the engineering and attention to detail. You really can feel the quality of the materials used,why dont you post a pic when it arrives?
I have tried to find out more regarding production numbers of these,and according to another forum member,the Sigma is one of the most exclusive models with the lowest production quantities. I have seen some pics of the rubber strap models ,but non with the durinox bracelet.Please understand Ventura build hundreds,not tens of thousands of units.Perhaps Mr Nobs of Ventura will chime in here and lend some more info on this superb watch.( i know he is really busy at Baselworld at the moment)
Any other Ventura Sigma owners out there? :pics:
Next

Return to Modern Digitals