Hamilton pulsomatic review

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Hamilton pulsomatic review

Post23 Oct 2012, 15:49

As this watch has now been discontinued,now is perhaps a good time to give it a review.
Firstly i think it was a very clever move by Hamilton to launch this watch in 2010 to celebrate 40 years since the original was launched. However if they had simply re-created another mark two "P2" in led form it would have be pretty bad move. It would have only interested a few collectors and would never have been as good as the original, remakes seldom are. However by using the P2s basic design ,and fitting it with an auto movement and a liquid crystal display it was sure to find a wider market.
As its very exclusive, in that only three manufacturers produce auto digitals (Hamilton, Rado and Ventura) and all are made and assembled in Switzerland, all using the same "engine" you would expect them all to be much the same ?..............................................................................................wrong!
Although using the same auto movement,and the same setting method their similarities end there.
While the Hamilton has a good contrast to the display which increases in brighter lighting, close to Ventura in fact ,because the crystal is curved it does introduce some reflections which spoils it somewhat.
The digits are tilted to the right which mirrors the original. Its a solid design that has been well made (apart from the bracelet that lets it down due to the finish of the clasp and links. Well made..................................................until you compare it to Ventura.Build quality and finish of the Ventura is on a much higher level,which is disappointing for Hamilton. if you never handle the Ventura you would probably be happy with the Hamilton.
Its a large watch width wise (49mm) but because its only around 38mm high it sits well on most wrists,and wont slide around due to its wide bracelet.
Because the case is such a nice design,i was disappointed to find the quality of the bracelet lacking somewhat,it spoils a very nice watch .It is available on a rubber strap also which might improve matters.
One thing about it,it has huge wrist appeal and is very much a talking point watch.However the ultimate auto for bulid quality,exclusivity,readability and visually pleasing design goes to the Ventura autos. 8-)Oh yes,and the Rado? .............very close to Ventura but not as visually stunning to look at.IMO.
Hamilton pulsomatic..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Hamilton pulsomatic review

Post23 Oct 2012, 19:25

I cannot say it better John..nice review. I do like the watch even do the bracelet is not the same quality as the case, but like you said..the watch is a magnet to other people. And i still think it's a lot of value for the money.
I would buy it again tomorrow and that says it all :-D Maybe with the rubber strap to make it more sportive.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Oct 2012, 14:39

Holly,

Thank you for the very detailed review.
Wonderful watch but i'm not sure about it's value for money
if you compare it to those ventura's...i do find the prices asked a bit high.
I checked e-bay and was a little surprised.
I would have expected them a little lower, but i suspect it's all to do with them being
auto-digitals and this making them rare..however my guess is i would prefer a Ventura
because it is just slightly more expensive then this Hamilton.

Regards,
Cesar
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Oct 2012, 16:39

Well i wouldnt want to put anyone off buying the Pulsomatic,it is a nice watch. Regarding the bracelet,i think that because its so big,the quality/cost has be reined in by the manufacturers.The clasp and folding steel,look and feel cheaper than Venturas. The clasp has two polished pushers that constantly scrape on the clasp and leave scratches( this is unavoidable and i have seen it on other pulsomatics) The bracelet does not have a smooth fluidity to it. Its no where near the quality of the Junghans mega 1000 bracelet. Personally i would have rather had a more expensive watch than a cheaper bracelet .
When your are used to a certain quality standard its very easy to become used to it without giving it further thought.Its only when you handle a cheaper/poorer quality item that differences become more apparent.
That is the trouble with Ventura, very little can come close to them for quality. I would really like to see and handle a Sparc RX/PX, just to see how good the build is on them. Pictures can only perceive quality ...................................................................................................................................... :O`~
However despite the bracelet not living up to expectations,there is a lot to like .The case shape,and build are excellent,the sapphire crystals and display font is very nice.The display and crystal have a nice blue/black apperence and the segments do seem to reflect more in brighter conditions.
Its a dramatic futuristic looking watch,i like its simplistic display and functions. time and date are all i need................................................................. :-D
Last edited by holly35 on 03 Nov 2012, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post30 Oct 2012, 09:21

Thanks holly for your Review :)

The pulsomatic has always been on my list but being on the large side it wouldnt suit my very thin wrist.

As I write this the Pulsomatic is stairing at me from the banner above, it does look fantastic. The Venturas are hard to beat if you are after a modern LCD digital, happy with my Kappa :)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Oct 2012, 09:43

Well, it is a lot cheaper so quality is as you would expect lower, (around 40% cheaper than the Ventura )however it only seems to concern the clasp and slightly lower bracelet quality.Its perceived quality is good, and it looks great.The bracelet is very smooth and well polished,its also very comfortable. There is the rubber strap version,but,in all honesty its simply too much expanse of rubber.The bracelet gives it the wow factor no doubt. The folding part of the clasp is hidden in any case so isnt such a big deal. The design is excellent, it is very beautiful from every angle and has a unique look,contrast is very good and it wears smaller than you would think.The curved sapphire crystal does give it a classy finish and the digits are large,and very easy to read.
Auto digitals are rare,with only Ventura and Rado now building them.Perhaps its excellent value after all. Its an excellent link to the original.
As a future classic we might all be chasing Pulsomatics in the years to come.............................................................................................................................. :?:
Last edited by holly35 on 03 Nov 2012, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post30 Oct 2012, 18:08

the pulsomatic is something special i think...first time wearing it, i liked it but i found it to heavy...but after 1 year i really fell in love with it...it feels not as heavy as it is, good contrast...and a magnet for other people.
I like the simplicity to but i do like alarm and light...thats the reason why i don't wear it every day.

it's a watch...when you have it, you don't want to sell it anymore...no batt ..so easy to keep :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Nov 2012, 18:48

I would like to add an additional footnote on the Pulsomatic,which is perhaps not initially seen. Ventura make much of their unique multi segment V-tec displays designed by Adrian Frutinger .Rightly so,as the V-tec display has excellent rounded numbers which improves legibility. I believe Mr Frutingers work extends to a major French airport.
However i am sure that i am correct in stating that Hamilton have also given much thought into the Pulsomatics display, which is equally unique.
The font style is not the usual regular segment display we are all familiar with. The segments are elongated with a thinner top section which widens at the bottom. They are arranged in a matching pattern across the display which is slanted to the right (just as the original was).No other digital watch uses this font style ,which goes to show Hamilton have go to great lengths to make the Pulsomatic unique in design and display.Its a watch that has continued to grow on me as elements of its design are discovered....................... ;-) 8-)

Return to Modern Digitals