SDGA001 beater going strong

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

SDGA001 beater going strong

Post18 Apr 2013, 17:30

It has suffered a lot of dunking in mud this winter as we have had several flash floods :-( and has survived like a champ with not the slightest ill effect.

All in a day´s work:

Looks a bit worse for wear still than

but it functions like new and the sapphire is nothing short of amazing; it is as new too.

I am happy that I bit the bullet when it was released and got it on my doorstep for 605 Euros. European prices have not exactly gone down but even at the current level I have no hesitation to state that it is worth it. I think my original review is on the dot and I van now add the confirmation of extreme ruggedness.
>60 degrees (Centigrade) or <-20 is no issue at all; the display gives a fault message and resumes its job after getting within operating range again without missing or gaining a beat.

Oh, and I had great fun about the easter egg again.
´Design oder nicht sein´

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Re: SDGA001 beater going strong

Post19 Apr 2013, 02:52

I don't give mine nearly as much "adventure" as that, but I wear mine in my regular rotation all the times.

The watch is surprisingly comfortable to wear (given limited adjustment of the bracelet). And as expected, extremely easy to read. Love it and definitely would recommend it to anyone that likes digital watch that's out of the ordinary. :)

Mine has plenty of scratches and even a fine scratch on the sapphire crystal. But they don't show up in the photo. :)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Apr 2013, 08:50

Thanks for shareing.

stockae92 wrote: even a fine scratch on the sapphire crystal.

How did you managae thát :eek:

As to the bracelet I have an ´adjustment issue´ with anything: Over here the climate has rather large differences in temperatures and additionally my wrist is thinner in the morning than in the evening or when I exert myself. Nothing never fits, so I wear my watches on the loose side.
The SDGA sits better than most so i wear it with what most would probably consider a link too many which precludes any tightness :Prost:
´Design oder nicht sein´

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post26 Apr 2013, 09:01

I bought mine used, so I don't how the PO managed to scratch the sapphire crystal. But a diamond ring or cement wall will scratch sapphire crystal.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Apr 2013, 09:11

stockae92 wrote:I bought mine used, so I don't how the PO managed to scratch the sapphire crystal. But a diamond ring or cement wall will scratch sapphire crystal.

A diamond ring yes, cement wall not. Been there, done that several times mucking out stables.

Diamond is about the only thing I can imagine scratching it. I have had a cobalt drill bit fall on it :oops: and it left nooooo visible trace.

Btw, the worst thing I managed to do to it was accidenatlly hold it against the electric fence maxed out for horses on a wet soil and only 10 metres from the machine :bang:
I félt the heat spreading, building up a split second for the cracking jolt knocked me back.
When I got my breath back I as SURE the thing would be fried. The screen had some odd shadows but with the next 10 minutes refresh it was as new.
´Design oder nicht sein´

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post26 Apr 2013, 18:30

man, that's one tough watch.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Apr 2013, 16:19

Thanks for the info guys, great to know how resilient the E-ink display and timekeeping circuits are.

The worst I went through with my cheaper SBPA007J was to knock it against the wooden doorframe a few times by accident, no scratches on my hardlex crystal though yet in 7 months of daily wear. Barely any noticeable scratches on the black Ion plated strap. One thing I do regret is that when it hits 90 degrees Farenheit and the sun beats down on my black watch, it gets noticeably HOT on my wrist lol. But so far screen hasn't turned off due to overheating.

Return to Modern Digitals