Ventura superiority?

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Ventura superiority?

Post20 Jul 2013, 17:52

There has been much postings of late (some by myself) on Ventura digitals.Although i admire the brand and products ,are they superior? well if you read the hype then possibly but in practice.........err imo no :-? my experience with these has not always been positive :bang: Some quality control issues have been a concern :eek: Considering the much hyped "hand built" etc i found this to be pretty poor.. :no: They do score highly in design,exclusivity and display clarity,but in my experience there is another brand which equals them in sheer build quality, which is also exclusive, and highly desirable at a third of the cost......... ;-) :-D :call: ,i challenge anyone who has compared ,and handled both side by side and finds i am wrong.
Junghans Mega 1000,ok it lacks the hardened steel and has (apparent) sync issues in the UK (although i experienced none)in all other respects it challenges the Ventura quality with ease. Now discontinued , its still a beautiful watch at a bargain price(if you can find one... :mrgreen: )
I had one ,sold it and now regret it... :cry:
BUT overall i still believe that the SDGA is superior to all digitals.Regarding the lack of a count down timer and chrono.....in all honesty,has anyone ever used these functions? I doubt many people do (me included) so thats no deal breaker IMO.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Ventura superiority?

Post20 Jul 2013, 19:28

The only thing holding me back on the seiko IS the lack of the count up and count down function. Hopefully the refresh rate of the e-ink display will improve. I use both functions on the flight deck and activate both; be it my V-Alpha or other capable watches. Actually my most used digital is an HP 01 which will do the countdown function and in the dark :-) of the cockpit.

Having ripped apart the alpha to get fully functioning I was not impressed by the module build. Certainly not of the quality of the 70's Seikos. Attachment points for the zebras were spring steel and compression. In fact the alpha function, display and case quality are excellent, the module build, not so good but certainly adequate as you are never supposed to see it.

The roller function is nice but could be more robust with a real definite click between selected functions. No matter how I adjust the contacts internally to the stem, it des not always transition smoothly between sequential functions forcing me to hunt for the function I need.

Cheers, Geoff

P.s. gorgeous looking watch though, the v-alpa.

barbes

Post20 Jul 2013, 20:28

I have both - Junghans and Ventura - and they're both terrific. I do use both the chrono and timer. (My timer is set by default to 1:20, which any cook will tell you is modal roast chicken time...)

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 04:44

i just cant get past the look of the seiko - I tried to like it months ago but its definitely not the watch for me.

It seems too big (wide) & I hate the way the band transitions from wide at the case to thin very quickly - looks very underdone :scratch:

I've never seen a Ventura in real life - but really like what i see in the Delta on line (the sigma is too weird looking for me - i like squarer, more subdued designs)

you cant get the Mega? - isnt that what you told me about the DELTA... :grin1: (no hard feelings :-) )

heres a reply a got from Alsal watches in London 3 days ago - the mega is cheap - but I much prefer the Delta.

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your interest in Junghans, unfortunately we do not have any of the Junghans Mega 1000 series. They can be ordered for you, however there has been a small number of occasions in the past with this model that it cannot pick up the radio signal in certain parts of the UK, the Futura range have had no problems as they use a different movement.

FYI the mega 100 in stainless steel is £400.00. Model no 026/4513.44

The Futura model 026/4101.44 (steel case and bracelet RRP: £375.00)
I do have the leather strap model in stock with the steel case being the 026/4100.00 RRP: £325 (currently the one in stock is priced at £299.99)

If you are interested in any other Junghans models or if you wish to discuss any aspect of the watches please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Guven

cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jul 2013, 12:01

The Mega 1000 is discontinued for UK markets,however its good to see that they can be specially ordered. :-D
Its interesting to hear of the internals of the Vtec,from an owner,and slightly disappointing to head their findings. :-| I would still maintain most people dont use these chrono and timer functions on a casual "lifestyle" basis,ok if you work requires it thats different. 8-) Regarding the SDGA bracelet,i agree it tapers away to a slimmer band ,but the bracelet is very comfortable and almost drapes around the wrist and is very "flexible".It offers a smooth transition between the case and band.
The Delta however is different,the case is beautifully curved but the bracelet is not in keeping with the case design.The links are sharper ,and flat, not curved to match the case.This leads to an unsightly connection between the case and first link,the more the bracelet opens up from the case ,the more disconnected from the case it looks.Ventura seem to use mostly universal bracelet styles for most of their range,some they suit,others they dont.The Sigma bracelet in my experience is the best by far.It also is connected "inside" the case edge where it offers a smooth connection between the case and band.
However just look at the Mega 1000 to see how it should be done. :grin1: :mega:
On another note,think for a moment ..........if Ventura had developed and launched the SDGA with all its advanced technology and build it in Switzerland or Germany i would imaging you could multiply the SDGAs retail cost by three or four times.....making the Seiko superb value for money... M:)W:)M :mega: :!: :?:

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 12:30

i havent tried too price up a seiko, but from memory they were about $1000? im only paying a measly few hundred more for my Delta which for one, has a 2 year warranty where as the seiko has NONE :grin1: :eek:

i love the delta band design - its very similar to the hamilton 1977 QEDII band which i fell in love with not long after i bought my 75 QEDII :bang:

anyway, my qed is gone & I now might get the same band as you have on your sigma or I might look for a mesh style band - either way - I like to keep things 'factory' so im sure the delta bracelet will be the main band i use.

i loved the mega 1000, but now it just looks a little over done to me & it looks too wide for my wrist

how long have you had your seiko? wear it much?

cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 12:33

i did an edit about the lack of seiko warranty here btw Hoilly35, I noticed you popped in while i was doing it so you might have missed it
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jul 2013, 12:45

Well,i can only speak from experience of having had most of the Venturas and the Mega along with the SDGA.Initial impressions and actually living with them is another matter. The Mega is wonderful for the money,i just cant believe its less than half the cost of the Delta.I found the resolution on the Delta slightly better than the Mega,but not much,both increase in bright conditions,the Mega has a beautiful gold colour and the main time digits are larger,also its better laid out and ,for me easier to read at a glance. The Delta ,as you know is a "block of equally spaced numbers,thats it.I found it a designers dream,but for me slightly confusing. :fool: (My eye sight is not as good as it was)Also if you remove the running seconds it leaves the display off set which i dont like. :bang: :scratch:
The Megas display is more logical and you can increase /decrease contrast, has larger main time digits,you can remove some display info ,and personalize it to suit. :mega:
Still,for me,EPD rules. :O`~ :Prost:
And a Ventura EPD with the same spec? Try around £2000. M:)W:)M
Good luck in your Ventura quest,but for me it was a rocky journey,and :-D i have found better.......................................................................................

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 12:57

not sure what you mean by a ventura epd? - im taking it as it comes from the factory - and I like having running second display.

like i said, seiko wont give any warranty - which is odd dont you think? :rtfm: but anyway the seiko was never really in the race for me - i think it looks out of proportion & the display doesnt look watch like to me - its trying too hard basically.

anyway, we are all different & we like what we like :-D

anyway, my 'quest' is over - just have to wait for the box to arrive now :mrgreen:

i noticed you sold your seiko, did you buy another version?
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 13:01

holly, that Junghans Mega 1000 you sold and regret was sold to me and when I sold it I didn't regret it :grin1: You are right in saying the quality is high with the Junghans especially the metal bracelet. I would say the bracelet is built like a tank that's why I felt it was too big, heavy and not flexible/comfortable at all. Worth the price if you can find one and feel comfortable wearing it all day. You were excellent to deal with and very honest with the sale, I wish I still had it to offer it back to you again :-D

My experiance with Ventura watches is with the Delta & Kappa. I didn't expect the quality of higher end Swiss watches with Ventura but was surprised and feel they are of high quality. The metal bracelet on both watches are very well made and comfortable even if you wear the watch all day long apart from the occasional hair pull :cry: The case and display etc are equally impressive. BUT the first Delta I bought years back had a problem with the light button....it fell off and got lost :scratch: Ventura replaced the watch without questions and I enjoyed wearing it until I sold it to replace it with the Kappa. I am extremely happy with the Kappa and enjoy wearing it in rotation with other watches. Ventura will always remain on my list and hope to buy one again if they decide to come out with new models.

The Seiko SDGAs are great watches with that excellent display but i felt the Bracelets were nowhere near as well made as the Venturas.

Best part about our hobby is we can always sell what we don't like or use anymore :mrgreen:

My cheapest watch in my collection is the Seiko SBPG001 and can say its the best value for money digital watch you can buy, I wear this watch at work every day and enjoy it as much as other watches that cost much much more, it's just missing a sapphire glass :cry:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jul 2013, 13:11

I repurchased another SDGA,as i regretted selling it so much,(sold it along with most of my Venturas to a member on here.)
My Ventura epd was simply food for thought.. ;* The whole solar powered thing comes into its own as soon as those battery changes loom. :~# And you wish you had solar power. :grin1:
You can never get waterproof peace of mind unless its properly tested etc I also have the sbpg001 and its excellent :-D
Of course each to there own....good luck :-D
ps just thinking about problems i have had with faults quality problems etc Reads as follows
Junghans Mega 0
JUNGHANS Futura 1 (wouldnt sync well at all)
Ventura 5 ! (out of 7 watches)
Seiko 0
Last edited by holly35 on 21 Jul 2013, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 13:12

ive got one of those seikos on my wrist now Planetlcd - i agree vice nice watch - i like how well the band is made too.

just noticed with mine now (about 6 months old), that when I push the buttons on either side, the module moves inside the watch... :-?

cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 13:16

holly35 wrote:I repurchased another SDGA,as i regretted selling it so much,(sold it along with most of my Venturas to a member on here.)
My Ventura epd was simply food for thought.. ;* The whole solar powered thing comes into its own as soon as those batter changes loom. :~# And you wish you had solar power. :grin1:
You can never get waterproof peace of mind unless its properly tested etc
Of course each to there own....good luck :-D

i thought solar power, was going to be good with this seiko, but for most of the day today ive had to have it off my wrist - it got to 3 bars & very soon after it was back down to 2... also the display gets dim easily because of this & using the backlight at night the thing becomes unreadable.. - so all in all im not impressed by the solar aspect of this seiko - I'm glad the ventura is a straight battery swap.

and no i wont be swimming with it battery change or not - its not really got a good enough rating for that imo

as i told you the other day, I'm not scared to change the battery when needed
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jul 2013, 13:22

By the way,i purchased my SDGA in Germany,from a registered Seiko dealer.Comes with a 2 year warranty. :-D :Prost:
No issues with the battery reserve on my sbpg,its not used much and the reserve is always 3 bar.( although on 2 on its purchase journey from Japan to me)
But has remained at 3 bar since i have had it.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 14:00

yeah my seiko was purchased new & it states warranty only valid in japan, it was only a $300 watch, so it didnt really bother me anyway.

i like to wear long sleeves in winter & the watch just wont stay charged up if i wear it all the time - for the last few months my led hamilton has had to carry the can, while the seiko struggles to stay charged up - annoying because i liked to use the wake up alarms (one for a 'snooze' alarm).
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 14:22

Andy, my Seiko SBPG001 during this winter wearing it under long sleeves has been on 2 bars but still all functions work. The other day I left it outside in sunny conditions for only 10 min and it went to 3 bars but later in the day went back to 2 bars. Never seen it go to 1 bar and I'm happy with that considering it hardly sees the sun. I will try leaving it outside for half a day or even under a light indoors at night. It probably needs one good charge every few weeks

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 14:52

lately mine has been going completely blank - past power save mode - at least when its gets some charge back into it, the time etc is still ok.

yeah, i gave mine a good charge today - was 3 bars in the sun for hours - started wearing it around the house & 1 hr later its back on to 2 bars.

maybe i was expecting too much from a solar watch - i would be happy if it even went into power save more often just to conserve more power.
anyway, in a couple of weeks, it can be retired to the window sill to come into action as required - working on the cars, etc.

cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jul 2013, 15:55

Of course, for the canny buyer,there is the Braun prestige, :scratch: which is a Ventura in all but name,lacking the hardened steel and sapphire,but has a larger,clearer display with the alpha numeric day to help make it easier to glance at.Still has the same quality,same bracelet ,same/similar functions,K1 hardened glass though which is ok. :call: The Braun glass is also flat ,unlike the Deltas which does encourage reflections. Has the latest power save module to help increase battery performance,in fact i may consider one,they are HALF the cost of its close relative......... :grin1: :mrgreen: .(dont believe i just said that!) :grin1:
Or perhaps the Seiko SBPA011,lovely glass on that. :-D

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jul 2013, 17:29

out here, whenever anyone hears the name braun - its instantly associated with electric shavers - so, no! that one is out for me as well :grin1: - apart from the important things you just said (which i didnt know about), the brauns just dont look anywhere near as good to me as the Delta - couldnt care less about $$$ here - i like what i like :-D
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jul 2013, 08:32

planetlcd wrote:holly, that Junghans Mega 1000 you sold and regret was sold to me and when I sold it I didn't regret it :grin1: You are right in saying the quality is high with the Junghans especially the metal bracelet. I would say the bracelet is built like a tank that's why I felt it was too big, heavy and not flexible/comfortable at all. Worth the price if you can find one and feel comfortable wearing it all day. You were excellent to deal with and very honest with the sale, I wish I still had it to offer it back to

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prrhef3klfe3e ... 07_HDR.jpg
Sorry, I'm on mobile so no direct link to image.

Look what I just saw in a local shop where I'm staying for a few days at the coast.
349 the black and 399 for the mega 1000

:Prost:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post22 Jul 2013, 08:48

Looking at that photo reminds me of how good that display is.......large, highly visible in most light and user friendly

cj.cooper

Post23 Jul 2013, 01:59

well, i'm biased as i've somehow collected a few Venturas...

The nitride hardening of Ventura cases & bracelets is a major plus... I usually scratch watches within a day of buying one :bang:

The Nitrided Titanium is especially good and hard - not sure how many years i've had the V-matic but still unscratched, and the Titanox is an unusual and good looking material. Very comfortable to wear, and much lighter - shame the Sigma isn't produced in Titanox (esecially the metal bracelet version) as the regular steel makes it a bit on the heavy side.

Another plus point is the improved Ventura digital display, and using Frutiger to design the font says a lot... and also says how great a Ventura EPD/E-ink style display would be.

Pretty sure a Ventura wouldn't have 'RADIOWAVE CONTROL SOLAR' screaming out in white capitals against a black background :eek:

Maybe a Titanox Sigma MGS EPD then :scratch:
Next

Return to Modern Digitals