It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:51

Braun BN0106 with expandable steel bracelet mod

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

joshkerr

Braun BN0106 with expandable steel bracelet mod

Post05 Aug 2013, 01:54

I bought a Braun BN0106 with the black rubber strap last year and wore it twice. I didn't like the way the watch sat on my wrist, it looked awkward. Fast forward to yesterday, I was cleaning out my watch drawer and found an old strap from Incase which would allow you to wear your iPod as a watch. The bracelet was one of those expandable types, super comfortable and designed to fit 36mm lugs.

I got real excited and proceeded to remove the bracelet from the Incase plastic adapter and attach it to the Braun but it did not fit. It was too wide to fit between the lugs. So today I ran over to Lowes hardware store and bought a dremel. I proceeded to grind it down to make it fit and boom. It fits perfect, its super comfortable and it looks sharp.

I actually think it looks better than the stock metal bracelet and it is certainly more comfortable, easier to put on, etc.. I'm really pleased, feels like a brand new watch.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Re: Braun BN0106 with expandable steel bracelet mod

Post05 Aug 2013, 03:50

are the pics working for anyone else? (i'm at work so they might be blocked)
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Aug 2013, 05:49

What a coincidence, today I was going to ask to whoever own a Braun their input. I find them kind of interesting but never had one in front of Me.
It seems they have good size and nice display. I was wondering about durability, finish, how well the new scrolling wheel works. they are kind of pricey too
but I kind of like them. By the way I have mix feeling about expandable bands specially when they are narrow and fit tight, on yours it looks pretty good being that wide and relaxed. I'm not a big fan of rubber bands, I can't wait get a new SS Shark Mesh bracelet for my Seiko Tuna Diver. Cheers.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2013, 13:11

These are actually quite reasonable value.They are made from Ventura components but with a regular steel case.The module,scroll wheel and bracelets are Ventura.The display is possibly the best of the Venturas ,not too big like the Alpha 2 which has a block like apperence,and not too small and slightly cluttered display on the earlier VTEC ones.
The scroll wheel operates the same (slightly different functions and layout)and has the same annoying rough feel and grating sound to its operation .This has never been perfected and lets the watch down as its at odds with the high quality ,high tech image. Good idea though.
Durability should be good,but the crystal is hardened glass not sapphire.Less than half the cost of its close relatives though :grin1: And possibly just as good.
Interestingly the water resistance on VTECS is 3 BAR and has been slightly improvedto 5 on new versions.Still not very impressive....be careful not to get it wet.
I agree the standard clasps on these (and Venturas ) are uncomfortable,the clasps loose their tension and wont close properly after a short time,cutting into the wrist. :bang:

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post05 Aug 2013, 13:54

the s/steel bracelet on the braun does not look anywhere near as nice as the similar ventura ones, & i dont think these are durinox either

the durinox really is tough (4 or 5 times harder than regular s/steel) & that along with the sapphire glass is whats important to some Holly, get over it lol.

i prefer the smaller digits on the delta/alpha1 too.
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Aug 2013, 14:31

Just curious.. why do you say be careful not to get it wet? My Alpha has been swimming, snorkelling, in the shower, in the jacuzzi, all several times over the past few years, plus I've done battery changes myself and the watch has never been serviced, and no problems at all with water?

Just noticed what you said about the clasp also, not sure which models you've had but I love the clasp on mine, so easy to open and close and comfortable too, i wear the watch daily and the clasp is still working the same as when I got new several years ago.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2013, 15:34

I have had most of Venturas offerings (around 8 or so) so i think as an owner ,i am pretty well versed on all the features AND blurb that they have,and i comment as i found them.They are nice enough,but vastly over priced. :sad:
Add the sapphire and hardened cases (simply heated to a high temp then cooled)to the Braun, add £100 for the trouble and you have what any VTEC should be priced at. Nice but a tad over hyped.
No the Braun is not hardened steel,but neither were all Venturas originally,indeed the Sparc px is not .
Its a brave man who goes swimming etc in a 3 bar splash proof watch! :no: By doing this you completley void any warranty on it ...cant believe you would have done this. :eek:
Clasps refer to the rubber strap versions

cj.cooper

Post05 Aug 2013, 20:23

joshkerr - nice job with the strap - that looks like it was made for it.

holly35 wrote:Add the sapphire and hardened cases (simply heated to a high temp then cooled)

No.

Unless you routinely refer to a car engine as 'simply some flammable liquids going bang', or a Patek Philippe as 'just a bunch of small gear wheels in a fancy machined case, with a dial and some watch hands'.

I have a Sony PRS-350 ereader - very nice screen. the Amazon Kindle eink screens are even cheaper, and also very nice... they cost maybe 100 to $150 for a 6 inch screen. Your Seiko has a piece of eink screen (maybe get 6 or more out of one equivalent ereader screen?), and they charge how much?

We could both just get a $5 Casio.. or just use the time display on our phones... but we both like nice stuff.
Seiko is nice. Ventura is nice.

Even Rolex, if that's your thing :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding

or a Commercial/Industrial link
http://www.treatallmetals.com/nitrid.htm

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Aug 2013, 22:43

I can see where your coming from here.Of course this is looking at it in a cold "materials only" basis. :scratch: You need to factor in additional "mark up" in retail cost for such a high tech process.And pricing it up to what the market will stand :scratch: . This is what happens when you have something "unique", and is typical of most designer products :eek: :-? :mega: :mega: .Factor in the "designers" angle and the price keeps rising. ~:(
As i said on another thread,if it had been Ventura who launched EPD technology and developed a production watch,i am sure it would have been very futuristic looking (possible more so than the Seiko,who has pulled in some historic design into its SDGA)
BUT more than likley, with an equally intergalactic retail price to match. :fool:
Which makes the Seiko very reasonably priced indeed.You simply cant divide up the size of a e-reader screen and compare price per mm against the EPD.Seiko has done considerable development over the last few years on this system. ;-)
Anyone else care to share their take on this? ...come on dont be shy. :call: ;-)

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post07 Aug 2013, 00:16

Really like the Braun. I came very close to buying the rubber strap SS version from Amazon UK, but ended up decided to go all out for the Ventura Sigma instead, which is the watch that I've always wanted.

Enjoy wearing the Braun, that's a nice watch. :)

cj.cooper

Post07 Aug 2013, 03:55

oddly enough, I just saw the Braun at Don Muang airport on my way down south for work. It's only used for domestic low cost carriers now, so a quite unexpected place to see one.

I'll add something about sink displays on t'other thread... Peace this for Braun pics,one I saw I think was a black case and strap, nae bad at all

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post07 Aug 2013, 17:46

richard_uk wrote:Just curious.. why do you say be careful not to get it wet? My Alpha has been swimming, snorkelling, in the shower, in the jacuzzi, all several times over the past few years, plus I've done battery changes myself and the watch has never been serviced, and no problems at all with water?

Just noticed what you said about the clasp also, not sure which models you've had but I love the clasp on mine, so easy to open and close and comfortable too, i wear the watch daily and the clasp is still working the same as when I got new several years ago.

dont feed the the troll, wouldnt be the first time holly stretches the truth or just sprouts BS to try to make his point lol
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post07 Aug 2013, 17:49

holly35 wrote: By doing this you completley void any warranty on it ...cant believe you would have done this. :eek:
Clasps refer to the rubber strap versions

there is no warranty on water damage, so he hasnt voided the warranty anyway
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Aug 2013, 18:25

QUOTE "there is no warranty on water damage". :?: Ok,take your one for a swimming session and a dip in the jacuzzi.Then send it back with a note to the manufacturer , i would love to know what they say.
Spouting bs :?: i have considerably more experience with Ventura than you have. :ha: After you have had as many as i have over the last few years,perhaps you will be in a better position to agree or disagree with comments i have listed, considering your a Ventura new boy :ha: .Rather than asking umpteen questions on what they are made of :?: what they are like :?: Has anyone bought one :?: how reliable are they :?: What about the scroll wheel operation :?:
I have already past on MY experiences with these.Yes they are nice, but they are not the be and end of all watches.Finally would i buy another.................
YES absolutely,with a max outlay of around £250 you should be able to find a used one of these.IMO i wouldnt spend any more. AND NO dont ask where you can find them at this price............youll have to search them out! :-)
Time to move on from this subject.Enjoy you purchase. :amen:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post07 Aug 2013, 21:16

My warranty ran out years ago anyway, and the waterproof thing was my mistake, not sure where I got the idea it was properly waterproof from, but it's lucky for me it actually is :)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Aug 2013, 21:33

Have a look at 3 bar water resist spec,......your very lucky ! :-D

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Aug 2013, 02:44

holly35 wrote:These are actually quite reasonable value.They are made from Ventura components but with a regular steel case.The module,scroll wheel and bracelets are Ventura.The display is possibly the best of the Venturas ,not too big like the Alpha 2 which has a block like apperence,and not too small and slightly cluttered display on the earlier VTEC ones.
The scroll wheel operates the same (slightly different functions and layout)and has the same annoying rough feel and grating sound to its operation .This has never been perfected and lets the watch down as its at odds with the high quality ,high tech image. Good idea though.
Durability should be good,but the crystal is hardened glass not sapphire.Less than half the cost of its close relatives though :grin1: And possibly just as good.
Interestingly the water resistance on VTECS is 3 BAR and has been slightly improvedto 5 on new versions.Still not very impressive....be careful not to get it wet.
I agree the standard clasps on these (and Venturas ) are uncomfortable,the clasps loose their tension and wont close properly after a short time,cutting into the wrist. :bang:

Thanks Holly, you are the Man!!!

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post08 Aug 2013, 11:53

holly35 wrote:QUOTE "there is no warranty on water damage". :?: Ok,take your one for a swimming session and a dip in the jacuzzi.Then send it back with a note to the manufacturer , i would love to know what they say.
Spouting bs :?: i have considerably more experience with Ventura than you have. :ha: After you have had as many as i have over the last few years,perhaps you will be in a better position to agree or disagree with comments i have listed, considering your a Ventura new boy :ha: .Rather than asking umpteen questions on what they are made of :?: what they are like :?: Has anyone bought one :?: how reliable are they :?: What about the scroll wheel operation :?:
I have already past on MY experiences with these.Yes they are nice, but they are not the be and end of all watches.Finally would i buy another.................
YES absolutely,with a max outlay of around £250 you should be able to find a used one of these.IMO i wouldnt spend any more. AND NO dont ask where you can find them at this price............youll have to search them out! :-)
Time to move on from this subject.Enjoy you purchase. :amen:

the bit I highlighted in bold, what are you on about, you dont even make sense?
i'm not saying i would get mine wet - just stating that the warranty will not be voided for water damage - because it never covered it in the first place- which you obviously didnt realise.

sprouting BS - yes you said members here have had the light button fall off - well name them if you can - i know of only 1.
see my point about you stretching the truth/sprouting BS - well prove me wrong.

quite happy with my brand new one thanks
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Aug 2013, 12:18

"QUOTE "the bit I highlighted in bold, what are you on about, you dont even make sense?
i'm not saying i would get mine wet - just stating that the warranty will not be voided for water damage - because it never covered it in the first place- which you obviously didnt realise.

"QUOTE"sprouting BS - yes you said members here have had the light button fall off - well name them if you can - i know of only 1.
see my point about you stretching the truth/sprouting BS - well prove me wrong.

Perhaps ,being in Australia for a while,and upside down,so to speak has made the blood run to your head and confuse you some what. :no:
Your not making sense regarding the comment on warranties and water resistance.
If you use a watch (be it new and under warranty or older and out of warranty ) outwith its water resistance capabilities will result in
Damage which will not be covered by the Manufacturer (if its still under warranty) due to your gross stupidity for pushing it above its limits. :fool:
And if its out of warranty its water resistance remains the same ,it dosent become more resistant ,so you should be equally careful with it. :roll:
I dont know what you on about in your quote above.
I dont see why i need to name anyone as evidence of a failed watch part...its not a National Enqury :police:
As i have said,i have had a lot of contact with Ventura products, and spoken with many owners, who report good and bad experiences with the brand.
As a new owner ,i suggest you dont get hung up on all the negatives,you may never experience any of the issues listed here. :amen:
Strap it on ,flash it about and be happy. :ntars: :mega: :grin1: :-D

Return to Modern Digitals