It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:09

More than a step in the right direction maybe.

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Re: More than a step in the right direction maybe.

Post22 Jan 2014, 22:15

stockae92 wrote:So far the original Pebble is still relatively inexpensive and have most fun to have

Building custom watch faces will keep me busy for a while ... LOL

Hooray.. Knew I couldn't be alone. ~:(
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post11 Apr 2014, 00:37

Well I took the plunge and she's on her way.
From across the pond.Black with both bands8-)
I'll let you all know how we get on. ;-)
anna face leather.JPG

digital face black band.JPG

Oh the :ironie: Kasper :roll: :Prost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jagmad on 27 Feb 2015, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post11 Apr 2014, 00:45

Nice! :D

I still like mine and wear it from time to time, and getting new watch face often is awesome

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post11 Apr 2014, 00:48

Well Pebble is not really taking off although i have to admit they had quite some success. But wait till apple sticks their logo to some watch, then suddenly everyone has to have one... :grin1:

To me the best Smart watch is still the Seiko Ruputer (aka Matsucom outside Japan...). On that thing designing different watch faces was still real programming and instead of bluetooth or wlan you used rock-solid serial port communications for data transfer... :mega:

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post11 Apr 2014, 00:53

I actually thought Pebble is one of the more successful and popular smart watch out there, maybe like you said, until Apple release their version of the iWatch. iWatch will be a great seller just because of the cult following. And if iWatch under the price of the steel Pebble, then Pebble would be in trouble. :p

And at the same time, I can't imagine the iWatch being another $250-$300 product and sell along iPhone and iPads ...

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post26 Feb 2015, 04:54

Well here we go again Pebble launch their new one via. Kick starter with a 1/2 a million $ goal
They are just a shade off of 10 million $ as I write this.. :eek:

Looks like charging a smart watch ain't no biggy for quite a few people. ;-)

All the $159 for a single one already gone with only 24 $179 ones left out of 30'000.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/59 ... ompromises

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post26 Feb 2015, 05:02

Pebble is claiming the Pebble Time will last up to 7 days on a single charge, just like the original Pebble.

I am glad that they use ePaper display instead of high drain high resolution LCD display.

I still prefer Pebble over the upcoming iWatch because charging my "watch" every day and not water resistant are not acceptable to me.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post26 Feb 2015, 13:46

fronzelneekburm wrote:Well Pebble is not really taking off although i have to admit they had quite some success. But wait till apple sticks their logo to some watch, then suddenly everyone has to have one... :grin1:

Looks like Pebble is more than taking off to me. :ha: ;-)

I'm sure Hanno would be ecstatic if his creation took off like pebble.
But then again less is more. :ironie:
Hanno I think your creation is an absolute beauty, and can't wait for mine to land. :mega: :lol:

Al_Mc

Nerd

Nerd

Post01 Mar 2015, 00:15

I love consumer technology and watches too. I paid my money joined the Pebble Kickstarter campaign. Then I waited almost forever and finally got the original Pebble. After wearing it for a few months, I got bored with it and sold it.
It just didn't do enough for me and was a bit ugly. Without Fitbit-type capabilities, none of these will earn wrist time with me.

I'm looking forward to trying the Apple watch... Let's see what they can do.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post01 Mar 2015, 17:16

Al_Mc wrote:I love consumer technology and watches too. I paid my money joined the Pebble Kickstarter campaign. Then I waited almost forever and finally got the original Pebble. After wearing it for a few months, I got bored with it and sold it.
It just didn't do enough for me and was a bit ugly. Without Fitbit-type capabilities, none of these will earn wrist time with me.

I'm looking forward to trying the Apple watch... Let's see what they can do.

:Hi: Al_Mc
Pebble started virtually from scratch and took less than 18 months from the beginning of the kickstarter
to shipping the product. It's been 3 years nearly since that and apple still have us waiting.
For a company like that to drag it's heels imo is not on. They should be leading the way with the money
and tech they have at their disposal. Let's hope it's worth the wait but I doubt it as it will most probably
won't be multi platform, I phone only. Pebble being open platform shows they are not so insecure as apple imo.

I appreciate your honesty and agree with the ugly quote, (!st go was defo function over form) although that's
one of the reasons for starting this thread, that the metal was far from ugly and a step in the right direction.

I'm just glad you didn't sight "it needs charging" as a reason to sell it. M:)W:)M

Although have you seen here? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ble&hl=en#

Not sure if that's what your talking about cos I'm not into that kind of thing myself.

Anyway If you buy the apple watch please let us know how you get on with it.
Thanks for your thoughts, you should post more often.
:bye: :Prost:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post04 Mar 2015, 02:16

Well here we go again again CNC Stainless steel ready for shipping in July.
Over 14.5 million $ over 60'000 backers

http://getpebble.us2.list-manage.com/tr ... fb17e8ed4a

Smaug

Post25 Mar 2015, 21:45

I'm on the fence both for the Apple Watch ("iWatch" is copyrighted by Swatch) and the Pebble Time (up to 7 days battery) and Pebble Time Steel. (up to 10 days battery)

Pebble Time will start at $200, and less if you get in by this Friday, March 27, 2015. Apple Watch will start at $500. Yikes.

Apple Watch will have the built-in heart rate monitoring without the need for a chest strap, and that is huge.

Yeah, Apple is late to the market, but if you think of it, they ALWAYS are, because their modus operandi is to take other companies' FAILURES and make successes of them. Its easy to dismiss Apple products as fashionable and to say that people will buy anything with the bitten apple logo. But a company simply does not sell that much of a bad product. Word gets around about how good their stuff is. Their stuff just works smoothly and easily with no drama. Physical execution is better than any of the competition, too. They also innovate, where other companies (including Pebble) don't. For example, the toolless bracelet and the beams that shoot right into the wrist to measure blood flow. That kind of stuff is not cheap to innovate, and so they pass the price onto us.

Pebble is keeping the price more reasonable, and keeping the Pebble Time just as a general purpose, small, wrist-mounted computer. Anyone can write apps for it. Anyone can program it directly, and it will be $200. Lots of watch faces. The built-in features seem to have it competing with the 30 year old Casio Databanks.

So, now that this is coming out, let's see if Kaspar will put his money where is mouth is. (re. his signature comment about smart watches needing to have a week-long battery life)

Its all well and fine to prefer vintage digitals, but let's not rule out the new ones based on different criteria. The smart watches will do SO much more than most past or current digital watches that we can't compare just based on things like battery life (before recharge) and looks.

I think phones (smart and otherwise) will eventually go the way that watches did: from the pocket to the wrist.

Heck, I'd like to just see a regular old dumb mobile phone get scaled down for the wrist. With today's technology, that should be easily doable.
-Jeremy
My current collection

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post25 Mar 2015, 22:49

Smaug wrote:I'm on the fence both for the Apple Watch ("iWatch" is copyrighted by Swatch) and the Pebble Time (up to 7 days battery) and Pebble Time Steel. (up to 10 days battery)

Pebble Time will start at $200, and less if you get in by this Friday, March 27, 2015. Apple Watch will start at $500. Yikes.

Apple Watch will have the built-in heart rate monitoring without the need for a chest strap, and that is huge.

Yeah, Apple is late to the market, but if you think of it, they ALWAYS are, because their modus operandi is to take other companies' FAILURES and make successes of them. Its easy to dismiss Apple products as fashionable and to say that people will buy anything with the bitten apple logo. But a company simply does not sell that much of a bad product. Word gets around about how good their stuff is. Their stuff just works smoothly and easily with no drama. Physical execution is better than any of the competition, too. They also innovate, where other companies (including Pebble) don't. For example, the toolless bracelet and the beams that shoot right into the wrist to measure blood flow. That kind of stuff is not cheap to innovate, and so they pass the price onto us.

Pebble is keeping the price more reasonable, and keeping the Pebble Time just as a general purpose, small, wrist-mounted computer. Anyone can write apps for it. Anyone can program it directly, and it will be $200. Lots of watch faces. The built-in features seem to have it competing with the 30 year old Casio Databanks.

So, now that this is coming out, let's see if Kaspar will put his money where is mouth is. (re. his signature comment about smart watches needing to have a week-long battery life)

Its all well and fine to prefer vintage digitals, but let's not rule out the new ones based on different criteria. The smart watches will do SO much more than most past or current digital watches that we can't compare just based on things like battery life (before recharge) and looks.

I think phones (smart and otherwise) will eventually go the way that watches did: from the pocket to the wrist.

Heck, I'd like to just see a regular old dumb mobile phone get scaled down for the wrist. With today's technology, that should be easily doable.

+1
but have you checked out the band change on the new pebble?
oh and the new amount they have raised on kick starter? just shy of 20 million $. ~:(

Smaug

Post27 Mar 2015, 16:49

Yeah, I did see that the bracelets and bands can be changed without the use of a springbar tool, but it looks like sizing the bracelets still needs a tool.

Apple's can even be SIZED without tools! ( that model's not cheap though, at least $700)
-Jeremy
My current collection

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2015, 18:46

Smaug wrote:Yeah, I did see that the bracelets and bands can be changed without the use of a springbar tool, but it looks like sizing the bracelets still needs a tool.

Apple's can even be SIZED without tools! ( that model's not cheap though, at least $700)

Yeah I know, funny my wrist doesn't change size by over 10 mm every day,
so I don't think I will be needing that feature. M:)W:)M

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2015, 18:57

"GLADIATORS READY"

Just a couple of short vid's for your perusal. ;-)

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review
Vs.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/28/83051 ... on-funding

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post15 Apr 2015, 23:15

At 9:14...I had to turn it off : "It,s so much more powerful then any other smartwatch and indefinitely more stylish".
Powerful??? In weight? In money?? In thickness?? Only the on board apps works a bit and all the others that have to use your smartphone are lagging alot.So you have to do a lot of waiting. :eek:

Still pebble on top at the moment :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post23 Sep 2015, 21:49

The world's lightest and thinnest smartwatch!

Discuss if you like. :call:
https://pebble.com/pebble-time-round-sm ... fb17e8ed4a

Previous

Return to Modern Digitals