It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:53

QUESTION about Seiko SBPA screen refresh

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

pieter

QUESTION about Seiko SBPA screen refresh

Post09 Feb 2014, 13:01

Hello, I have a question on the screen refreshes of the Seiko SBPA watches (the newer/cheaper type of EPD watches).

But first, a short introduction. I have read this forum for quite some time, this is my first post. I'm a 50 year old watch lover. I like watches for 2 things: 1. precision and 2. style. Precision is the most important, because I don't want to set my watch at the correct time; I want my watch to tell the time to ME :lol: Fortunately therre are some stylish and precise watches now.....

My question: I understand that on the Seiko SBPA watches (the newer/cheaper type of EPD watches) the screen refreshes every minute - but how distracting is this? Do you see the watch " flickering" ? Will it be like a big 'blinking' watch? I don't want a toy thing, the watch should be stable/quiet....

Any owners here who can comment? Thanks in advance! :mega:

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Re: QUESTION about Seiko SBPA screen refresh

Post09 Feb 2014, 15:39

Maybe it would be a good time to explain the differences between the S700 and S771 modules?

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Feb 2014, 17:17

Well, for a visual reference, this video shows the SBPA doing a refresh of the screen, with the different display formats. Every minute it will do this as you've noted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61a8OwcckFA

Whether it's distracting to you or others, is up to you.

pieter

Post13 Feb 2014, 18:46

Thank you for the link. Hmm...I think this would annoy me. Would love to hear some first hand experience.....

The older screens are nice in that they refresh only the last digit (say from 20:06 to 20:07 only the 7 changes), until it reaches 20:10, when the complete screen is refreshed. The newer screens do refresh faster (=better) though..... a combination would be ideal!

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Feb 2014, 18:47

Maybe Seiko will issue an update for Basel?

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Feb 2014, 22:46

I own the SBPA007 Lupin, and never found the refresh to be annoying or distracting for me, I actually like the refresh flash, as it's a reminder of the display technology, similar to the old flashing Dynamic Scattering LCD watches from the early 70's. I've worn this version for almost two years now.

That's the reason there's so many watches out there, everyone has their own ideal of timekeeping perfection. :-D

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post14 Feb 2014, 00:20

I am wearing the Star Wars version which I picked up at the Yoibashi store in Tokyo. Cost was 800 USd on sale and no sales tax!

The watch is gorgeous and I like the occasional refresh (every ten minutes). The first hour I had it on in the worldtime screen (my favorite) I had four comments at various stores I was visiting.

The refresh is for the minute digits that change until the hour changes. In the second display the seconds digits only refresh.

Yes slow for menu selection and picture screen but I only show that screen to people who want to know more on the watch.

My question though, how long does it take to get a full battery. Booklet says 74 hours of continuous sunlight. Mine must have been boxed since 2012. It is the rainy season here in Vancouver so not much bright sunlight!

Cheers, Geoff

pieter

Post14 Feb 2014, 11:52

Thanks Geoff & AlmightyTallest for posting real life experience!
@ Geoff - I have a Citizen Ecodrive PMX56-2811 - bought online @ Higuchi by the way, it was my first online buy in Japan and it went smoothly. I'm sorry, that watch is not a digital :oops: - moderator, please remove if inappropriate ;-)

But, it is an Ecodrive. It can really run a very long time without sunlight, actually, it has never stopped. Even when I had it in a dark cupboard for several months it ran perfectly. I sometimes put it in the window sill if I don't wear it, but actually that is not needed.

I *think* that most solar panels are sensitive to the shorter wavelenghts in light. So if putting your watch in the window sill isn't enough, you might put it under the "coldest" light that you have. A tanning lamp would be the best of course

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2014, 19:10

pieter is right about the solar panels, most modern solar's will at least maintain a watches battery charge with only 500 lux light of standard office illumination using fluorescent bulbs.

As a reference, thats about the amount of light that will reach the solar panels using a 60 watt incandescent light 2 feet away from the watch.

A typical cloudy day outside is about 10,000 lux. Full bright sun is 100,000 lux, and this all depends on season. I'm in the Eastern U.S. and the best you can hope for on a clear sunny day in the winter is only 40,000 lux. Summer is over 100,000 lux on the same clear day.

A much cooler Compact Fluorescent light that's rated for 30 Watts will give your watch about 5,000 lux when the watch is 5 inches from it. And it get's exponentially higher when you get closer to the cfc bulb, but the watch might still get too hot being to close. Your mileage may vary, depending on the light you use. :-D

I checked my light meter, and about 1 inch from a 100 w equivalent (30W Cfc bulb) I get about 30,000 lux, a little warm, but not burning hot.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post14 Feb 2014, 19:34

Thanks Pieter and almighty tallest (just how tall is that?) :-D

Thanks for the breakdown of the lumens. I was wondering about the viability of fluorescent displays versus incandescent.

It seems it is picking up its charge as it is showing 2/3 now all day versus the 2/3 on the wrist and 1/3 off the wrist at night.

Cheers, Geoff

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2014, 21:27

Glad to help Geoff, I found you'd actually want to use the florescent bulbs if you need to, they run cooler because they don't have a high amount long wave IR spectrum light like an incandescent bulb does, that's what makes your watch bake when it gets too close to the incandescent.

I'm 6 feet 8 inches tall without shoes, or 2.03 meters to everyone else. Maybe not the tallest, but when wearing work boots I unfortunately seem to be taller than most. :-( You don't know how many times I've helped little old ladies at the store reach items from a high shelf :grin1:

Ahh well, we're all created according to different blueprints I guess.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post14 Feb 2014, 21:52

Lucky your name isn't Dick, otherwise you would be the biggest Dick I know! M:)W:)M

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Feb 2014, 22:29

M:)W:)M

http://instantrimshot.com/

Press the red button on that screen for the full effect. Nice one Geoff lol.

Return to Modern Digitals