Weide Split Case O-LED Review

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Weide Split Case O-LED Review

Post08 Sep 2014, 15:45

A few years ago I picked up this Weide split analog/digital watch on e-bay. I was curious to see the O-LED display up close, and since the prices on Weide watches are so low, I decided to order one out of curiosity.

While the case is too large for my taste, the analog portion was quite readable and even more accurate than some of my quartz timepieces costing many times as much. What really blew me away was the multi-colored, fully customizable O-LED display for nighttime use. It even features a perpetual calendar and automatically adjusts itself for daylight savings time (Summer Mode). This is a far cry from those awful looking broken line segment LED displays common to late model retro LED watches found all over the internet.

It’s too bad the case and band don’t conform to my good taste, as it would have been nice if I could have worn this watch while enjoying the nightlife, playing poker with friends, etc.

Here is a picture of the watch in black (I own the silver stainless steel model with a slightly different analog face):

:dwf: Happy Collecting!
Jason
"We are showroom dummies"- Kraftwerk

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Re: Weide Split Case O-LED Review

Post09 Sep 2014, 19:17

Is that definitely OLED? because it looks more back lit LCD :scratch:

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Re: Weide Split Case O-LED Review

Post10 Sep 2014, 01:06

richard_uk wrote:Is that definitely OLED? because it looks more back lit LCD :scratch:

You know, Richard, back in my day LCD was monochrome, and I believe I confused this color LCD module with the newer OLEDs coming out of China these days. In any case, this bright, colorful display looks fantastic and costs next to nothing.

Here’s one of the newer Chinese OLEDS for comparison. Like the color LCDs, these are so much nicer looking than models featuring those broken segment LEDs.

:pimp: Happy Collecting!
Jason
"We are showroom dummies"- Kraftwerk

Return to Modern Digitals