Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Plato

Geek

Geek

Seiko S771 EPD E-Ink Watch - batteries

Post26 Jan 2018, 14:55

Good day to all of you
I have had this watch for several years now.. bought it from a member on here. It is a lovely watch as a daily beater but the charge has gone completely for some time now and no amount of sunlight will revive it.

I took off the back and it has a CR1616f cell. As the watch recharges I assume this is a rechargeable cell.

I have a spare CR1616 in my battery box and that has gone into the watch without a fuss, and it works. However, is it the correct cell? It doesn't have the f suffix and I don't know if it will recharge. If its a non-rechargeable cell, will the attempts of the watch to recharge it cause a problem (i imagine the cell exploding on my wrist...).

Any advice welcome.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko S771 EPD E-Ink Watch - batteries

Post28 Jan 2018, 16:32

have the same issue..i'm always at home in my shop, so it cannot take enough juice during the day and slowly dies. Just buy a new rechargeable cell and you are good to go. If i put the watch near the window all day..it's just enough to stay awake :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post28 Jan 2018, 17:20

Indeed my friend... I am wondering whether to just replace the cheap cell as each runs out. Ill see how long this one lasts.
They only cost a few euros maximum. So then the cost will be negligible.. As long as the cell doesn't have any bad effects on the watch.. it isnt a rechargeable at that price and the seiko website states that they use special batteries which I can't seem to find.

I'm let your know how the experiment goes!

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Jan 2018, 20:59

If the recharge system functions then yes, the cell can react badly. Most likely by swelling and leaking. There is an argument that a very slow trickle charge to an alkaline will result in recharging of the cell but the physical structure and internal chemical make up were not designed for recharging. Lithium non-rechargeable batteries do not like recharging and can result in a runway chemical reaction destroying the Battery and probably the watch module. Lithium batteries HATE two things:

1). HEAT. (So charging a non rechargeable lithium is lethal to the Battery.

2) deep drain with no recharge (I.e. use until dead then recharge attempt)

My Star Wars EPD recharge circuit failed at the 3 year mark. The watch went to Seiko japan who replaced the charging circuit with a newer mark ‘2’ version 3 years ago and to my surprise, for free, except shipping. Holds a perfect full charge always now. Of course I leave it near the window when not in use, not at the window and never let it cycle to dead.

I would hold off, find a rechargeable 1616 lithium battery OR cut the recharge circuit wire for a permanent solution and only buy non rechargeable batteries. Careful as the recharge circuit may be involved with current transfer to the watch.

Amazon Canada (assume USA also) https://www.amazon.ca/Casio-CTL1616-Genuine-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B0080GQBTU

Geoff

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post23 Dec 2018, 19:29

Update..
I have been using the watch with a non rechargeable battery. So far no problems at all and it's working wonderfully. No overheating or damage to the module.
I suspect the charging circuit is not enough to damage the battery.

as an aside I never see these for sale now any idea what it's worth on the open market. I have a better example and may sell.

Cheers

Return to Modern Digitals