NIWA Nixie Watch

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

NIWA Nixie Watch

Post04 Jan 2020, 09:05

I finally pulled the trigger and got a nixie watch from NIWA. Was really contemplating buying a Nixie module on eBay for about $150.00 and building my own case, but given that fact that I do not own the proper tools to fabricate a case I opted to purchase a titanium Nixie with a custom burnt case that brings out some color to the handcrafted case and the supplier was NIWA Watch. I received the watch today (after being held in NYC customs for one week) and was totally satisfied with the quality build as the inside crystal had ZERO dust particles, even under a magnified lense. NIWA was a company stared by Kickstarter funding. By the time I found out about them the company had already gone private and started deploying V2.0 of their Nixie watch. It had vast improvements including adding a titanium case and adjustable read out angle activated via a solid state accelerometer chip and using a magnet and reed switches to custom configure the angle AND utilize standards based Qi wireless charging technology. Reminds me of the 70's Pulsar technology meets the modern day Nixie Watch design still using 70's technology reed switches to configure and display date and time. Yes this timepiece is by far the largest and coolest watch I've put on my wrist and it will definitely be a conversational timepiece!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Re: NIWA Nixie Watch

Post30 Jan 2020, 01:46

Nice!

I love the look and feel of Nixie tubes.
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Jan 2020, 06:23

There were cheaper Nixie watches on eBay, however it had a cheap plastic case and open mini USB ports on the side that could be damaged by water or the elements. The NIWA nixie uses inductive wireless charging and magnetic reed switches so there's no need to expose the watch module. Very nice design and definitely a conversation piece!

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jan 2020, 21:07

cool, what is the diameter of the watch...looks BIG :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Jan 2020, 07:57

It is by far the biggest watch I have, the diameter is 5cm or about 2", thickness is about 0.5". This model was the custom burned titanium case with a carbon fiber back. The sapphire crystal is really nice, flat on the top and convex on the inside has the lens effect from the side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Sep 2020, 08:53

Recently upgraded my Nixie case with a Titanium custom burned rainbow finished case. Den over at NIWA Nixie Watches was kind enough to send me private Youtube videos to add silicone to seal the case back. Now that's service! Watch was purchased and delivered from Belarus.

Return to Modern Digitals