It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:16

Looking for a specific type of unusual digital watch

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

Ecnassianer

Looking for a specific type of unusual digital watch

Post13 Apr 2007, 08:21

My apologies if this forum isn't the appropriate venue for this request.

I'm looking for a digital watch that's small enough to fit in my wallet. I carry a standard men's leather wallet and don't like wearing a watch. Perferably the watch would fit in one of the credit card slots in my wallet, so it can't be very thick and it shouldn't be wider or taller than a credit card.

Have any of you seen a watch like this? Or seen a watch that I could modify without too much trouble?

Thanks in advance.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Looking for a specific type of unusual digital watch

Post13 Apr 2007, 09:58

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

re: Looking for a specific type of unusual digital watch

Post13 Apr 2007, 10:19

Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s Seiko made a number of credit card sized (and only slightly thicker) clocks- the most common being the World Time one with a map of the World and Flags, representing the different time zones, printed on it. These turn up on eBay quite frequently and sell for about stgĀ£15.00 (say$30).

Ecnassianer

Post13 Apr 2007, 20:42

The Time Tags look promising. One of the comments on wristfashion said that they were a little thick (3/8"), which might not work perfectly in my wallet, but clipped to my pocket might not be a bad backup plan.

Does anyone have a time tag? I can't be sure but from the picture, it might be possible to cut off the clip part that holds the front piece onto clothing. If that's the case, it'll probably be a good bit thinner.

The Seiko watches Old Tom mentioned sound almost perfect, but $30 for a 10 year old used watch feels a little steep for someone who isn't a collector.(I must prepare for the eventuality that I forget my wallet in the wash! ^_^ ). I also looked at the completed and currently running auctions and wasn't able to find one.

I'll check eBay again in a few days if I don't find any better options I'll probably go ahead and buy the Time Tags.

Old Tom, do you have any other information that I could narrow my searches with?

Thanks for your help guys.

EC

P.S. The time tags are on back order at some sites until September, so I'm a little worried about availability. If anyone has any other options, it's not too late to speak up! :-)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Apr 2007, 21:09

If you want to go to the trouble of opening your wallet to check the time why not just pull out your mobile phone and check that? It's probably less hassle (but then again - the hassle of owning a phone.............)

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post13 Apr 2007, 21:59

I think this might be what Old Tom was referring to:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Re: re: Looking for a specific type of unusual digital watch

Post13 Apr 2007, 22:17

Ecnassianer wrote:$30 for a 10 year old used watch feels a little steep for someone who isn't a collector

lmao :lol:

leddwatch

Banned

Post14 Apr 2007, 23:23

Also if you got mugged they might get away with the $30 watch as well as your wallet - thats going to hurt.

Ecnassianer

Re: re: Looking for a specific type of unusual digital watch

Post15 Apr 2007, 23:51

Fitron wrote:If you want to go to the trouble of opening your wallet to check the time why not just pull out your mobile phone and check that? It's probably less hassle (but then again - the hassle of owning a phone.............)

I don't carry a cell phone. I used to just check my palm top, but that broke and I'm probably not gonna buy another one.

Thanks for the links to eBay. I sent an email to one of the sellers asking a few more questions, sounds like that's going to be my best option.

Thanks everyone for your help, I had pretty much given up hope of finding something like this, and it looks like I'll end up with time in my wallet after all.

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets