It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:18

LED Purse Watch

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

LED Purse Watch

Post01 Sep 2008, 12:08

I've moved this from the ebay section as I am not quite sure where it fits

I came across this 'Silver L.E.D. Purse Watch' on ebay, does anyone have any information on the model/make?

Never seen anything like it before, although I would assume that with the case being stamped 1969 it predates the actual LED itself - either that or the 'who made the first LED watch' debate has been ended.

Is it genuine?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1

I would be interested to hear other forum members thoughts on the item.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

: LED Purse Watch

Post01 Sep 2008, 21:03

Interesting. Too bad it's impossible to see what kind of module it uses; from the position of the buttons, you would guess a P4...but they seem too far apart for that. The 1969 date code makes no sense [if that's correct; who would make an elaborate case for a watch type that was many years in the future?]. And finally, though done in similar style, this is NOT a Grima creation...the hallmarks make that clear enough. Further research on the makers' marks seems in order [but it seems reasonably likely that this was done in the 70s or early 80s, when it would still have been in style]. Grima did three ingot-style watches, two pocket watches [one sterling, one solid 18K], and a calculator in 18K. The pocket watches have surfaced, but the calculator continues to languish in a New York vault [a picture of it can be found on page 168 of Electric Watch].

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post01 Sep 2008, 23:24

Thank you for the very interesting information Bruce.

Would you think this is a copy of the Grima, I had a look at your pictures (which I had not seen beforehand) and they do look remarkably similar.

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/grima3.htm

PS : I love the looks of the watch second from the left very unique and space age.

Was there any other manufacturer producing these 'Purse Watches' ?
Could the date stamp indicate a prototype design?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post02 Sep 2008, 00:47

Actually, until I saw this listing, I had never heard the term "purse watch". Sounds sort of British... Anyway, the Grima watches were commissioned in late 1973 to early 1974, so this had to come later than that [most jewellry makers have a personal date code...usually a single letter...to date a piece; we would need to know the code of this specifc maker to properly interpret the "A" mark]. Absolutely, it is possible it was inspired by the Grima design. I thought the smaller Grima ingot-style designs were intended as pocket watches [though they could certainly have been carried by either a man or woman]. The calculator, on the other hand, was definitely a mans' watch. As for other manufacturers, until now, I thought Grima had been the only one...and all of his watches could be considered prototypes of a sort, as they were all one-of-a-kind [who knows; had LED watches hung on for a few more years, there might have been more Grimas]. I would be inclined to guess the same holds true here... Wonder where this has been hiding all these years?
Last edited by bruce wegmann on 30 Oct 2008, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post02 Sep 2008, 17:47

Last edited by Diginut on 05 Dec 2008, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Sep 2008, 18:05

WOW absolutely stunning watches - Thank you for the pictures!

Do you ever wear them?

The buckle watch still edges it as my favorite.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post02 Sep 2008, 20:22

yup - sometimes ! I dont wear the buckle watch as its really more sized to a ladies wrist, even though its a good looking LED.

The big fat chunky Grima mans watch I have worn a few times, special occacsions etc. I wore it to work once, and some of the geek crew just couldnt beleive it was a working LED watch made before they were even born, and that it was the single biggest chunk of solid gold anyone has ever touched.

The more mature blokes were amazed by the way its been made and how the strap works (Its got a very unusual surface finish and super smooth inside surface which almost glows, and above all it bends with a very fluid feel). Remarkable bearing in mind its a one-off.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Sep 2008, 20:53

Your current avatar looks a to be a very nice binary watch but I can't help but wonder why you haven't used a picture of one of the Grima's as your avatar?

What would you estimate the value of the Grima watches to be?

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Re: : LED Purse Watch

Post04 Sep 2008, 02:24

bucko170 wrote:Your current avatar looks a to be a very nice binary watch but I can't help but wonder why you haven't used a picture of one of the Grima's as your avatar?

What would you estimate the value of the Grima watches to be?

How do you value something thats unique ?! There is no benchmark, with only auction results for other Grima creations to go by ... which tend to be massive like an Omega Ring Watch from 1970 which reached a whopping $120,000. But an LED watch ? who knows ..

But probably, at the very least, double what a P1 is worth - and theres a few dozen of those in collectors hands !

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Sep 2008, 10:19

You must be very proud to own two such beautiful and prestigious time pieces.

With the prestige, uniqueness, rarity, collectability factor and history of the watches I would suppose the value to be many thousands, the value of the gold alone must be worth a few thousand.

Talk of the value begs the question would you ever sell them?

Still curious as to why you do not use one of the Grima's as your avatar?

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post04 Sep 2008, 14:03

Off course I am proud of the collection I've hoarded over past 30+ yrs !!

Trouble is that I would probably be deemed certifiable if the true scale of my hoarding were known to psychologists.. but hey, you’ve got to be slightly nuts to want to collect LED watches  I think I am like many others on here in that I am buying into things which impressed me as a kid and were simply unobtainable. Its just that I went one stage beyond just wanting a nice digital watch…

As for selling - they are a cherished investment. I obviously wouldn’t give them away, don’t need to sell them, etc etc, but if another collector of Grima artifacts or a Pulsar collector wanting something more ultimate than a mint boxed 18k P1 etc then I would off course consider offers.

Their collectible value is many times more than their significant gold melt value. But that would be sacrilege, a bit like melting down Tutankhamen's gold death mask for the cash value !

If there really is a world wide major depression I suspect most collectible items will loose significant value as people fight to keep their heads above water and things like art and jewellery become pointless to most. However, Gold has historically been the final store of value, and if that failed then we are doomed. I take some comfort in the fact that at least my gold watch hoard must be a few kilo's in total which should always retain an intrinsic value and would most likely rise in such a scenario.

Although I still cant see myself melting down P1's unless gold hits $3,000-$4,000 an ounce, or something !!!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post05 Sep 2008, 00:51

I think I am like many others on here in that I am buying into things which impressed me as a kid and were simply unobtainable

That certainly holds true in my case.

Do you think we are crazy because we collect watches or is our desire to collect watches merely a symptom of our madness? :lol:

Maybe one day I will be in a position where I can ask you for a price on one of the Grima's, although it may have to wait until after I win the lottery jackpot.

Regards Mick

PS: Still curious about the avatar!

ibuyufly09

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 Sep 2008, 22:22

Being the new owner of this fine watch I couldnt wait to take the back cover off,needless to say it has a Pulsar P4 auto set module,and I do have lots of picts.

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets