It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:19

John Atanasoff computer parallels.....

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

zeno333

John Atanasoff computer parallels.....

Post28 Mar 2009, 02:57

Some may know about the John Atanasoff computer invention debate, some may not. In short, a judge ruled in 1973 that Atanasoff invented the digital computer, and that the ENIAC patent was invalid.

Regarding the debate as to who made the first sold state digital watch prototype, I think for "history" to be correct, the debate would have to go to court, just like the computer debate went to court in 1973. Then at least the "truth" has some "backing" to it so to speak.
Even then though, it can be hard for history to be correct, since i was taught 3 years later in college in 1976 that ENIAC was the first digital computer, and there was no mention of Atanasoff at all in class.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: John Atanasoff computer parallels.....

Post28 Mar 2009, 17:40

ENIAC the first digital computer??

Maybe the first solid state or electronic computer (if you want to call thousands of unreliable vacuum tubes "solid state"). But even then, the British Colossus was years ahead (though rather unknown until the 1970s), and of course the mentioned Atanasoff-Berry Computer.

(Electro-)Mechanical digital computers:
Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine (never completed)
Konrad Zuse's Z1 and Z3
Howard Aiken's Harvard Mark I

It's important to be very precise with claims when debating about "firsts" ;-)

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets