It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:42

New Nixie watch

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

: New Nixie watch

Post19 Jan 2012, 23:15

With no disrespect to Cobra's design, it would be nice to see 4 digits at the same time.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Re: : New Nixie watch

Post20 Jan 2012, 02:45

ronaldheld wrote:With no disrespect to Cobra's design, it would be nice to see 4 digits at the same time.

Sure it would be "nice", but it wouldn't add anything else.
I just made an estimate, the smallest that I can make a 4 tube watch will be 58x49mm and it will be no less than 18mm thick. So there is quite a bit of draw back on such a design.

Best regards,
Michel
Last edited by cobra007 on 31 Jan 2012, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jan 2012, 14:27

are people here satisfied with the two tube watch versus the 4 tube one?

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jan 2012, 00:11

It is not really a matter of 2 versus 4 tubes, because the 2 tube watch will be made anyways.
It's my design, I like it and I will wear it.
The 4 tube watch is in my opinion too big to wear in daily life, it could be a watch you wear occasionally (but probably not me).

It might be an idea to find an investor, somebody who wants to buy the 4 tube watch with serial number 001 for a relatively high price.
I don't mind to make a 4 tube watch, for as long as I don't lose money on it.

You know someone? :-D

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jan 2012, 02:37

Another idea for the 4 tube watch is that somebody else designs (and manufactures) the watch cases.
That saves me quite a bit of time and then we can make it for cheaper.

If somebody here likes to design watch cases, let me know.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jan 2012, 03:15

ronaldheld wrote:With no disrespect to Cobra's design, it would be nice to see 4 digits at the same time.

I've been asked the same question from a few other people, so I posted a new thread to see if people have a preference for a smaller 2 tubes watch versus the larger 4 tubes watch. I am in contact with someone who wants to design the 4 tube watch cases, so that is no longer a problem.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Re: New Nixie watch

Post06 Apr 2012, 06:29

OK, it's been a while that I have posted some updates about the nixie watch. And infact, it's been a while I posted anything really :-).

Some milestones achieved, I got my circuit boards, tubes, cases and leather straps. Choosing the straps was actually one of the most difficult parts, what size to choose, what color, what material...

I think it's coming together really nicely and I can't wait to see one that is actually complete and working!

Got some pics on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nixie-Watch/146174782160870?ref=tn_tnmn

Happy Easter!
Michel

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Apr 2012, 17:50

Begint er al goed uit te zien....*kwijl*...i think i want one. :-D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post09 Apr 2012, 00:10

Thanks Cesar!

You can probably save on postage costs because my parents will come over so they can bring one back, and probably don't mind to deliver it to your doorstep :-). That is if you can wait for about half a year because they come in October....

Michel

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Apr 2012, 19:11

No problem i am a very patient guy :-)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post04 May 2013, 08:40

rewolf wrote:
cobra007 wrote:...The first idea I had was to use 3 button cells but the only ones that are powerful enough are the zinc-air batteries (used in hearing aids), they are widely available and cheap so it sounds like a good choice. The drawback however is that you can't use them in an enclosure because they depend on air to operate. You need at least 750mAh @ a minimum of 3V, and there is not much choice.
Zinc-air batteries can't deliver the current needed for the tubes, so they're not an option.
Also the pictured SAFT LS14250 LiSOCl2 (3.6V) is a low current battery that won't work.
A CR2 can do the job.

I remembered someone posted this comment during the design of my watch. It is a very understandable remark, however, as it turned out not necessary true. I measured some time ago the minimum required current for my watch to still display the time and I came to about 6mA. I then thought it should in theory be possible to run the watch on a button cell battery. Yesterday I took the time to see if this could really work. I took a very small CR1216 battery, hooked it up to the watch and although it initially didn't work, after covering the daylight sensor it draw just the right current to display the time and keep the battery voltage above 2.4V or thereabouts.

So as a reply to this comment, yes it is possible to run a nixie watch on a button cell battery. Not very practical though because the tubes are so dim that you can't read them anymore when you're outside. I recorded a short video to show this, I expected the watch to run for about 24 hours and although that didn't work out, it stopped while I was asleep so it must have been between 12 and 20 hours. Still not bad!

As a side note, this is an unmodified watch module, so everyone with a kopriso nixie watch will be able to do this by themselves.

Michel
Previous

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets