It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:10

PROBLEM WITH SECONDS MOVEMENT PLUNGER OMEGA MC 1511/1516

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

PROBLEM WITH SECONDS MOVEMENT PLUNGER OMEGA MC 1511/1516

Post03 Apr 2012, 14:19

Hi All,

Any experts out there that can give me some advice, I have 2 OMEGA Marine Chronometers, one is a rare 1511 model, the other is a model 1516,
check the prices on these watches they do not come cheap. They are reputed to be the most accurate watches in the world and certified by the Observatory Bescancon in France who only awarded certificates to these watches.

My question is to move the seconds one has to press the little recessed plunger located on the right side of the watch, they seem to have a mind of their own, sometimes the after pressing the plunger with a toothpick as the recommend it works sometimes it does not. Not that it makes any difference anyway as really the only time you would use this facility was if you were navigating with the aid of a sextant to get your position on the earth's surface. The famous French Explorer Jackues Costeau used this method as above for navigating his research boat all around the globe.

Does anyone have experience of what I have described as I am curious as to why it is so difficult to adjust. I don't use it so it is no big deal.

Thank you,
KARNAK. :?:

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Re: PROBLEM WITH SECONDS MOVEMENT PLUNGER OMEGA MC 1511/1516

Post03 Apr 2012, 21:30

hi there,
check my review for the 1510 and the 1516:
http://www.crazywatches.pl/omega-1510-m ... rdust-1974
http://www.crazywatches.pl/omega-1516-m ... meter-1976

you might have issues with the recessed button due to bad connectivity with the movement.
on the below picture in the bottom right corner you can see a thin plate on the right side of the movement just below the stem/crown.
the recessed button must touch this plate correctly thus open the caseback and clean the button from the inside and outside with some alcohol and/or brush the surfaces including the plate on the movement:
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Re: PROBLEM WITH SECONDS MOVEMENT PLUNGER OMEGA MC 1511/1516

Post04 Apr 2012, 16:47

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the information, however at this point in time I have no plans to circumvate the globe using my Omega Chronometer and a Sextant and realizing my capability of working watches-not good, I figure as I never use the plunger on the watch anyway, I am going to wait untill you are back in the frame of things hopefully in the not too distant future I will pack them both off to you to do the necessary. STS in the U.K. do a fantastic job on watches unfortunately they take so much time as they deal with Omega's from all over the world so I would prefer to await your return as there is no immediate rush on my part.

Hope this is ok with you.

Kindest regards,
KARNAK.
John (D). :idea:

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets