It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:05

Qualitron Pen LED

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Qualitron Pen LED

Post30 Jan 2013, 20:48

Hi,

I recently came across a qaulitron led watch pen. Took a chance as the pen was untested (as-is).

The good news is the pen lights up and appears to be working :)

Two questions

a) when unscrewing the pen it looks like I'm missing the battery cover over the "spring" that holds the two batteries in. This is making it very difficult to set the pen. Any ideas on what I could use as a makeshift cover? Maybe just shove alum. foil in there with a pin hole puched thru.

b) any ideas on what ink refill to use? The refill is short (3mm x 34mm). Or has anyone had any luck with "refilling" the existing refill nib?

c) For future reference - has anyone tried servicing this style pen? Any luck removing the module? It seems some else suggested the modules were glued in by factory :( Maybe heating the pen 175F for 15 minutes would soften the glue for module removal? Just thought I would ask.

Thanks !

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Qualitron Pen LED

Post30 Jan 2013, 21:06

then push with the tip of the pen to change the settings

go to you're local penshop to ask for a refill...mine are all complete boxen with all the (working) refill in it

i've seen a calcu-pen being serviced but never this one..maybe if i buy a broken one..i will have a go :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post30 Jan 2013, 21:39

Thanks,

Interesting looks like your picture is just the battery with a spring on top? (that's how mine is, nothing holding the spring in place, however my spring is really bent out of shape and falls out easily).

Success on setting the time !! - Maybe I cheated :)

This is what I did; I peeled off two stalpes from a row of staples, bent them into a circle, then placed it on top of the spring. The threads seem to hold the staples in place which keeps the power applied. Then I can push the batteries with a thin tip and set the time !

Any it works, thanks for the help.

I did try a few shops and they seemed "confused". The search continues - a cross matrix pen seems to have a similar looking refill, may try that.

Will reply back if I find a workable refill.

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post05 Feb 2013, 20:58

Arghhh - the search continues for a pen refill for the Qualitron

I thought I found it with the cross matrix refill 8572-1. It appeared to be close to the right length. However after it arrived the diameter is way too small ?(about 1/2 the size of the original)

The search continues :(

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2013, 21:03

maybe just wrap a bit of tape around it?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post07 Feb 2013, 00:03

lol - that's a lot of tape :)

tried to restore the old refill last nite with hot water, etc... - no luck

tried to clean out the old ink, thinking maybe I could refill it and ended blowing out the "ball" in the ball point :eek:

the saga continues... will try reseaching the web, or try purchasing a few old pens to see if something works.

btw - the dimensions of the old refill appear to be 36-37mm long and 3.2-3.5mm OD.

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Feb 2013, 00:59

I too am looking for the right refill. If you find a suitable alternative please post the details

laptop

Techie

Techie

Post08 Feb 2013, 04:21

Hi guys,
I got two over the years and I'm lucky, cause both works the watch and the refill still have some ink left :-D
But I have a question, one of them (the gold one) says Qualitron (signed) the other just says "Sterling" and it is signed USA on the clip part (the silver one).
Could anybody tell me the maker of this last one?!
And Kasper you are also lucky to have a complete set, I'm still on the hunt for any material (box, manual, etc...)
And elias, you are just like me, I keep searching, inventing, trying to make things happen :-)
Have you tried maybe drilling the original refill and inserting a thinner one inside (kind of a sleeve/support)?!
Good luck on your research for the refill and if/when you find a solution, please, share it with us :Hi:
watch pens.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible is only a point of view!

s_elias

Geek

Geek

Post08 Feb 2013, 07:45

Hi,

The search still continues for the "perfect" refill replacement. If someone wants to try cleaning out the old ink and injecting new ink into the original refill let us know how that works. In my case I just had the one, and blew out the "ball" trying to clean it. :sad:

However the "tactical" solution does work, for what it's worth. Credit to Kasper and other members for the idea. I found an old thread on the site that mentioned it before. Basically you take a new cross matrix refill, add a few turns of tape (I used blue masking tape), and insert the new refill into the END of the old refill (no drilling out the old refill). The insert the entire assy. into the pen ! The smaller point looks a little out of place, but hey "it does work" M:)W:)M

See attached photos for more details. Now I can use my LED Pen to take notes in meetings and watch people stop and stare it.

btw - the "sterling" IMHO is a re-branded qualitron.

IMG_2378 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2382 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2383 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post31 Dec 2017, 22:41

My Qualitron with russian documents and russian box with inscription Elektronika similar to Qualitron boxes, but for two pieces. Possibly 1977, according to docs. Seems to me USSR could buy pens for souvenirs. According to docs there could be russian variant of pen, but i didn't hear about it.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets