For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

pierce watchcase

Post15 Mar 2011, 06:27

[url][URL=http://img828.imageshack.us/i/piercecasemidocrown012.jpg/]Image[/url]

having not too much to do, i made this case for the movement i have had for about 35 years. the movement is swiss from the 1940's. there are more photos on my image shack site. i also made a second case for a lucien piccard movement i had. it is the brown dial one. self winding, 17 jewels, day/date from the late 1960'/early 70's. the case and bracelet on that one was 18k. hit the melting pot. not by me, but the jewelery store next door. the movement i got for free. peter

charger105

Guru

Guru

: pierce watchcase

Post15 Mar 2011, 09:45

Nice work Peter.
I know practically nothing about mechanical watches, but I can tell that you've done a top job making that case from scratch.

Rgds.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post15 Mar 2011, 15:17

Wow, that is excellent Peter ! I would be curious to know what machines,techniques, etc you used. Little things like the lug to case transition could be tricky, holes for springbars frustrating.

Does your movement drop in from the front? The threading of a case-back is another very difficult task without all the right tools so I wonder if you elected to make a "front door" that accomplished almost everything in one shot..

Just, just....BRAVO!! 8-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Mar 2011, 16:55

the pierce case is 3 parts. the movement goes in from the front. the top ring holds the crystal. the top ring is held on with the 5x 1.2mm screws. the screws are threaded into the main body ring and are heat blued. the back is press fitted with what is called a red "I" gasket. the back is a mineral glass recessed in and held with uv curing cement. the lugs are 1/8" aluminum bar stock as is the main case 1 1/2" bar stock. they [the lugs] are threaded in. 5-44nf thread. i used a unimat 3 for most of the machining. the lug holes were drilled with an old unimat sl with a head that is tiltable. i used an end mill to position the holes and then once i had the flat face i drilled for the tap all the way thru. the lp case is 2 parts. the movement goes in from the back. it sets against an internal step. the back is press fitted as before and it holds the movement in place. the other machine i used is a watchmakers lathe, vernier caliper, micrometer, and a 150mm ruler. the lugs on the lp case you can see i installed at a downward angle. all of this was quite a challenge without having any diagrams or drawings to scale. i just made it to fit the movement, altho' i wish i had made the lp case a little larger in dia. peter :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2011, 15:08

Great cases Peter 8-)

I especially like the clear case backs showing the movements.
The Lucien Piccard is my favorite the contrast between the gold colored dial and crown looks superb against the silver case, very impressive work!

jones38

Nerd

Nerd

Post18 Jul 2011, 21:45

Impressive Work!

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands