My first analog watch - Westclox Electronic

For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

My first analog watch - Westclox Electronic

Post20 Oct 2012, 07:17

Yep, perhaps it might sound weird, but yesterday I managed to get my first analog watch, after I've spent my entire life at using digital ones.

The reason behind this catch was my wish to add something unique to the collection. Formerly my idea was to get a Seiko automatic, but the only one I managed to find at a bargain price was a Sea Lion M88 which wasn't in great conditions...

...Until I found this one.

I always found electric watches fascinating, as they signed the transition between mechanical watches and the quartz-controlled ones, so when I've seen it on Ebay, I didn't hesitate to bid. But analog watches will never replace the LED ones in my heart! :-P

It's a Westclox electric transistorized watch from 1971, in very good conditions, I got it only for 30 euros. Not a bad price I must say!
The movement of the watch is a 9-jeweled Seiko 3302A, the same one used by the EL-330 and also used by Sears & Roebuck for its Stellaris brand, and by Montgomery Ward for its LeGant one. The seller said that he's surprised to see that after 41 years it still ticks like if it was new, and keeps very good time.

Makes me think that the owner had a lot of care for this watch. Although I think that in the future I'll hunt for a Sea Lion M88 in good conditions as well... :-D

Here are the pictures of the seller, waiting to get it in my hands! ;-)

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Re: My first analog watch - Westclox Electronic

Post20 Oct 2012, 18:13

square and "chunky" That's how I like them. Nice SS watch. If you refinish it, it will look even nicer.
nice catch!!

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Oct 2012, 19:16

Thank you Phasar! And the greatest thing is that all the parts, except for the leather strap (IMHO a black strap would look perfect), are original, so it's in very good conditions for being a 1971 watch. I don't exclude to get another electric one in the future... Together with that Sea Lion that I mentioned before. :-D
Image Image

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Oct 2012, 06:32

i have the sears stellaris. oval case and crystal. works well and keeps excellent time. peter

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Oct 2012, 07:59

Interesting! I've searched around the 'net for more info about the movement, and I've heard it's quite robust and reliable. :-)
Image Image

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post21 Oct 2012, 13:15

nice one..i like how the button is laid in the case.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Oct 2012, 17:19

Thank you Kasper! Indeed the crown is located at a very odd position... But this is one of the many things that make this movement unique after all! :-P
Image Image

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Oct 2012, 13:13

After a short wait... The Westclox is finally here at my house. Protected in the traditional yellow paper.

I open the package with my trusted pair of scissors, slowly revealing the watch, with its unique vintage appeal.

I've cleaned every part of the watch with a cotton wool, and I've noticed its brushed stainless steel case has only few light scratches due to the everyday usage, while the acrylic glass is in amazing conditions, with very few scratches that are barely noticeable. The caseback has some deep scratches probably done with a screwdriver, due to improper attempts to open the battery hatch.

The dial is also in great conditions, and everything is properly in its place. The only "issue" I've noticed is the seconds hand, which is lightly bent to the right, probably done by a clumsy watchmaker. But it's something that doesn't bother me, and it's barely noticeable.
For being a watch from 1971, its conditions are very good.

"Perfect, the watch is fine. Now it's time to set it." I said to myself.

I pulled the crown out, hearing a sound similar to a marble ball hitting the floor, and the seconds hand stopped moving, and I've set the watch. Since it has the quick date change, I've pushed the crown until I've reached the current day.

Now I can finally wear it on my wrist.

Wonderful.

It seats perfectly on my wrist: its size is balanced, not too small and not too big, and the watch itself is much more thin than I thought, making it look quite slim on the wrist. The movement, which is a 9 jeweled Seiko 3302A used in the electric EL-330, ticks like a mechanical watch, and it's surely noticeable since it ticks quite loud, just like the engine of an old '70s sports car.

Then, I have replaced the old AG13 alkaline battery with a 357, so the watch will last longer.

In the darkness, the watch is quite readable, but after some minutes the luminosity begins to fade, but after all I can't pretend a forty-one years old watch to be super bright. Maybe it'll be stupid... But this Westclox, just like the P2, is making me feel great, since this is my very first analogue watch ever. Now, it will be included in the rotation I'll do between the P2, the -coming soon- P3 and this one, as they are the watches that I love to wear more than anything else. :)
Image Image

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands