It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 11:53

Repairing Script on Glass

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Repairing Script on Glass

Post30 Nov 2011, 20:29

A common problem I've noticed on old LEDs is that the maker's name that is etched into the glass and filled with white paint is prone to wear off.

This was the case on this Beltime that I bought recently:

So I had a go at repairing it. I used a water based white paint that came out of a Revell model kit. I overpainted not only the letters, but also the immediate surrounding area - mainly because I didn't have a fine enough brush or a steady enough hand! I let it dry for a few minutes, then scraped off the excess paint using my fingernail. The paint wasn't entirely solid, but was hard enough to unstick from the smooth main part of the face, leaving the bits in the indented lettering intact.

Here are the results:

Image[/img]

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Repairing Script on Glass

Post30 Nov 2011, 20:56

Nice job 8-)

You can purchase paint pens in gold, silver, copper and various shades to match up the logo to the colour of the case. Dab it on and polish off the excess.

They are cheap enough to buy e.g eBay number 330621018907

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Repairing Script on Glass

Post02 Dec 2011, 15:40

Mick's advice is good - use a paint pen. An acrylic enamel paint will stick a lot better to the acrylic plastic. I personally swear by the Krylon brand silver and gold leafing pens, sold at many art/craft stores.

Yeah, looks great. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical