It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:24

Loose Bands

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Loose Bands

Post12 Nov 2005, 01:21

I have two Date Commands that I wear on a regular basis. Both have a moderate amount of play between the links. The links are held together by a horseshoe shaped spring. I took one link apart and found that the hole that connecting spring sits in has become egg shaped due to wear. Does any of you know of a fix for this problem?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Loose Bands

Post12 Nov 2005, 05:15

I've lost track of the number of these bracelets I've had to tighten up. The problem you're experiencing seems to be a weakness of the design [though I would contend it is one of the most attractive of all the 70s watches]. I have found that with a good pair of needlenose pliers, it is possible to re-position the little "ears" back into the link a bit and thus take up the slack in the bracelet. A word of caution; stainless is not very malleable...bend it a little too much, and the ear will fracture and break off. Folding the tab up that spans the gap between links will also help. Try to get an NOS link to see the exact shape it ideally needs to be. With a steady hand and a little practice, you can make these almost as good as new. Contact with the edge of the inside of the hole also tends to wear a little notch in the clip [I always thought it was shaped more like the letter "omega"], but there's not anything you can do about that.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post12 Nov 2005, 18:03

Thanks Bruce.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post04 Feb 2006, 22:22

The most tricky thing is to remove the links but afterwards pressing the oval holes back into a round shape helps to reduce the gaps. Also bending the plates on the inside of the bracelet reduces them.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post05 Feb 2006, 22:30

If your bending technique is what is producing the two dents in the link at the "tab" side, you need to find another way; it's really unattractive, and a dead giveaway that the watch has been "tinkered with". I use a flat, wider blade [about 3mm, or 1/8 inch] plier, and it does not create this effect; factory appearance is preserved. This is certainly a case where using the right tool for the job can pay big dividends...

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post06 Feb 2006, 12:49

The dents were already there when I got it and it looked much much worse than now.

Return to Electronical