It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:40

BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

tycooke

BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

Post08 Apr 2007, 20:49

I have a 1970's Bulova LCD and the display works okay but just keeps flashing and doesn't stay on like it should. All I did so far was clean button contacts and put in new battery. It is missing the light pusher button. Could this cause this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Ty.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

re: BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

Post16 Apr 2007, 11:06

if it's a 1977 (N7) Bulova with a japanese (likely Seiko) module then the fault might be caused by a short sometimes caused by an improper battery.
I installed a correct battery but it turned out that they make this battery in two versions - flat negative top and also with a nipple on top.
This nipple raises the battery by a fraction but solves the problem.

hope this helps.

tycooke

re: BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

Post16 Apr 2007, 22:47

I fixed the problem. The negative battery terminal on module had some corrosion where it makes contact with battery. After cleaning with alcohol and Q-tip the display stopped flashing. Thanks for helping.

Ty.

LEDMan

Faulty Bulova Display

Post29 Jan 2009, 21:28

I know this is a old subject but I thought I would reply.

I had the same problem happen with a N6 Bulova recently.

My problem was very similar if not the same. As soon as new batteries were installed i would be able to set the watch and it would appear to keep accurate time. However after a short period of time approx less than 5 minutes the display would run as fast as a stopwatch out of control. The digits would flash at a very rapid pace as well as the time running extremely fast.

After reading comments on this most helpful site, I replaced the crystal and the same problem occured.

After more trouble shooting I found the problem with the trimmer pod!

There was a little crack in one of the "plates" of the trimmer and it seemed to have made the watch run very erratic. I think the red plastic battery holder might have shifted somehow and cracked the plate when the batteries were replaced at one time.

i replaced the trimmer with one from a junk "litronix" mod and low and behold it has been running damn near perfect for 7 days now.

I thought I would post in case this comes up again.
"Bringing the 70's back to light again!"

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

: BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

Post29 Jan 2009, 21:57

thanks, a useful tip.
I rarely check the trimmer but have found it to be a problem in about 10% of such cases.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Faulty Bulova Display

Post30 Jan 2009, 08:13

LEDMan wrote:I replaced the trimmer with one from a junk "litronix" mod and low and behold it has been running damn near perfect for 7 days now.
I thought I would post in case this comes up again.

Those flat trimmers are trash -the sturdy ceramic ones out of a Hughes module are divine....a little dremeling and they will even fit neatly into a Bulova driver's module -and a standard flat-head screw for adjustment to boot.

BTW: LEDMAN - when you registered the other day I couldn't help but think of the old Black Sabbath song, "Iron Man"...." I AM LED MAN". Live from OzzFest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEDlOZJmCc I know, showing my age again - poor troubled '70s teenager, hunkering in the basement listening to Black Sabbath with my "buds". 8-) "Dude, check out my cool watch".
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDMan

Post30 Jan 2009, 15:26

Thanks for the info on the Hughes! I was going to try one from a TI but the Litronix was the same crap as the original.... just not cracked! Still keeping accurate time and not running it's own digit race!

I'm 45 years old but I appreciate your taste for great music! B Sabbath, Deep Purple, Bad Co.......and the list goes on!

Take Care

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

Post30 Jan 2009, 15:57

LEDMan wrote:I'm 45 years old but I appreciate your taste for great music! B Sabbath, Deep Purple, Bad Co.......and the list goes on!
Take Care
In my '20s I did stint as the bass player for a touring Alice Cooper tribute band - complete with dancing ghouly girls(hot!), coffins and a full sized gallows. Accompnied by lots of makeup on all of us, fog machine, the works.

Found this hideous little picture from the early days on one of the guys myspace page, I'm second from right.
Forefront here.

...the halcyon days of our youth. :lol
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDMan

Post30 Jan 2009, 16:08

Nice!.......I guess we'll never quite grow up! Stay young man! Times were so pleasant then!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : BULOVA LCD DISPLAY FLASHES ON AND OFF

Post30 Jan 2009, 16:23

LEDMan wrote: Stay young man! Times were so pleasant then!
It's all a blur...too many smokey rooms
Last edited by retroleds on 30 Jan 2009, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

LEDMan

Post30 Jan 2009, 16:34

To quote from Waynes World

" Party on Garth "

:twisted:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jan 2009, 16:44

Return to Electronical